PDA

View Full Version : What's the best P to P software, ie, Kazaa, bearshare?

Lopy-slopy
05-13-2003, 07:27 PM
as the title says, I want to know what you guy's think is the best music downloading program. I used to have Kazaa on my old computer but I got one heck of a virus form it and had too spend like 2 grand on a new comp. By the way I was using Kazza light. I just wanted to know what's the best for lest virusess and what is a good way to keep my machine virus free from now on? BTW what does spyware mean?

Brak
05-13-2003, 07:44 PM
if you like kazaa, get kazaa lite. i dont have it, but it removes any ways you can get viruses from it, it removes all of the adware and elevates you to guru easily, letting you DL fast.

bearshare is really good, my friend has it and never has problems and it works great. one problem though, it wont work at all if you have mcaffee (might be norton, but one of the 2) virus scanners. no, its not a virus, it just conflicts with it in some way.

kazaa lite and bearshare are good choices, and if your cautious only get popular and "excellent" files, and scan your shared folder every once in a while

Tron
05-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Lopy-slopy
as the title says, I want to know what you guy's think is the best music downloading program. I used to have Kazaa on my old computer but I got one heck of a virus form it and had too spend like 2 grand on a new comp. By the way I was using Kazza light. I just wanted to know what's the best for lest virusess and what is a good way to keep my machine virus free from now on? BTW what does spyware mean?

You bought a new computer because of a virus?

-Tron

Lopy-slopy
05-13-2003, 07:47 PM
If you actualy read the post you would have know that I had kazaa lite and thats how I got the viruss, but thanks for your imput.

MagMan5446
05-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Tron

You bought a new computer because of a virus?

-Tron

...a whole new computer probably wasn't needed...

WickeDKlowN
05-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Download Kazaa Lite from www.k-lite.tk It automatically sets(and keeps) you at 1000 rating. And it has no spyware, adware, banners, etc. Plus it comes with some useful software bundled with it(like Dat View).

You can also enable a built in virus scanner to scan your shared folder.

To answer your other questions, spyware is something that another company makes that watches what you do(like what sites you go to) and reports it to the company. So they know what kind of banners and whatnot to send you.

And a whole new comp was most likley not needed.

And if your worried about viruses GET A VIRUS SCANNER! Everyone should have one. not wanting to pay isnt a good reason either(not saying thats yours). Theres a great free one called AVG, It's made by like Grisoft or something like that.

And just cause you got a virus on Kazaa dosnt mean you wont get one off another P2P, they are all about the same when it comes to that. Piracy is dangerous, you take a chance with every file you download, regaurdless.

sorry, I just had to get that out ;)

Tron
05-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Lopy-slopy
If you actualy read the post you would have know that I had kazaa lite and thats how I got the viruss, but thanks for your imput.

The internet is serious business maybe you shouldn't be on it. Stick to buying CD's and paying for your software.

-Tron

Tron
05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by MagMan5446

...a whole new computer probably wasn't needed...

Really?:rolleyes: I know but they way he put it he went out and got one. And should be freaking awesome if he spent $2k on it. Unless it was $2k CAN then I would understand.

-Tron

e mag
05-13-2003, 07:56 PM
you will get viruses on any p2p network, get an antivirus program.

CasingBill
05-13-2003, 09:57 PM
I use Direct Connect. I have been using it for about 2 years and have never had a virus. I always scan anyway. I have downloaded at least 1000 songs, couple of movies, lots of programs and never had a problem. It is more difficult to get into hub when you don't have any files to share but once you do its excellent. All others suck IMO:D

You can download it at direct connect (http://www.neo-modus.com)

MagMan5446
05-13-2003, 11:52 PM
4500+ songs and 40+ movies downloaded on kazaa lite with no problem yet...

'cept I got a pop up saying that I was violating copyright laws and that it was easy to trace me, but meh.

jdev
05-14-2003, 12:04 AM
i use direct connect.

48GB of music later.. im still going.

:)

kenndogg
05-14-2003, 05:23 AM
I never got a virus off of kazaa but I did get caught sharing movies and games...thought I was going to get lawsuit slapped against me. and my internet connection was suspended. :mad:

dansim
05-14-2003, 07:52 AM
hazza lite still as spyware you just gotta look for it, i use
winmx
www.winmx.com all it is is a tool the site holds no music or files, you cant get software but meh, its all p to p so if a song your looking for isnt found look again in an hour and someone will have it

warpfeedmod
05-14-2003, 11:50 AM
www.zeropaid.com

check it out

also use bit torrent and some other gnutella based linux clients..

and get a virus scanner, you can never be to sure.

paintbattler
05-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Try www.imesh.com . I have heard that that program works well.

i_baked_cookies
05-14-2003, 08:21 PM
limewire is the best (www.limewire.com) its pretty fast (i have a slow dsl and it runs at about 55kb/s). when u search for sumthin, it comes up with a ton and a ton of exactly what u were lookin for. it doesnt have those stupid popups like kazaa, and it is easy to run.

Kevmaster
05-14-2003, 09:15 PM
any P2P you have will give you viruses if you dont watch out...sorry..there are jerk offs everywhere

e mag
05-14-2003, 10:03 PM
i think direct connect is actually better then kazaa... if you know good hubs

Sooky
05-15-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by kenndogg
I never got a virus off of kazaa but I did get caught sharing movies and games...thought I was going to get lawsuit slapped against me. and my internet connection was suspended. :mad: How would they catch you?:confused: How many files did you have, if you don't mind me asking...

Tron
05-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Sooky
How would they catch you?:confused: How many files did you have, if you don't mind me asking...

RIAA has crawlers searching out directorys and ips and they send you pop ups or depending the spyware you have on ur computer have a lot more info then that. The DMCA really sucks and gives people to much power. Thing is though they will never win there will always be someone better. I loved what they did to the Madonna site recently when she messed with an MP3 she released.

-Tron

kenndogg
05-15-2003, 05:02 AM
How would they catch you?:confused: How many files did you have, if you don't mind me asking...

I had about a hundred of files...mostly music, some movies, crapload of software(games, windows, etc.). Anyways I was stupid enough to share these files and left my pc running overnight while sharing and downloading.

Sooky
05-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Hmm, so your options are to be a stinge, or share and take the risk...

I wonder if spyware blaster or ad-aware would help much...

mikey101
05-15-2003, 09:25 PM
mIRC or any IRC program for that matter. I've been using mIRC lately to get some skate vids, and it's really good stuff. Pretty difficult to find good rooms, but once you find one, you'll be downloading for months from that one room. The best part is that most of the time new stuff that comes out(say a new movie) will get on an IRC server within a few days..so it's real current.

ubooze
05-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Though I don't use it too much, cause I want to gather only quailty files which is the main point of DC++, this program is really good. Read around. Its kinda a bunch of audiophilers and people who seek only the best, and share copious amounts.

kenndogg
05-16-2003, 03:00 AM
Hmm, so your options are to be a stinge, or share and take the risk...

I wonder if spyware blaster or ad-aware would help much...

I have ad-ware and it didn't do jack...