PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!

eg0_Slayer
05-14-2003, 07:51 AM
warpig.com doesn't seem to be working!...lol...just thought I'd warn you guys...

beefstew
05-14-2003, 07:52 AM
yes, i remeber when this happened to pbc with no explination. Not that warpig is down for good, because i know its not, but when pbc went down that kinda sucked. And btw its up and working right now.
;)
BeefStew

Bartleby
05-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Yeah, i remember when that happened to AO. I was up at like 2am catching up on all the previous day's threads when i clicked on one and *BAM*, nothing loads. So i tried again and *BAM*, nothing. So i went downstairs and restarted the cable modem and *BAM*, it wasn't AO after all :D

-Aaron

billmi
05-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Could have been during a server reset. I do that periodically to kill zombie processes, and make sure everything is happy. It takes about 5 minutes for a reboot.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

banzaimf
05-16-2003, 12:37 PM
MS servers Bill?

pito189
05-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by billmi
Could have been during a server reset. I do that periodically to kill zombie processes, and make sure everything is happy. It takes about 5 minutes for a reboot.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Zombie processes? What are those?

By the name I would take it as something that should have done it's job, and quit, but it didn't for some reason?

jayloo
05-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Zombie processes and reboots....must be windows servers.

3 of my Sun servers have been running perfectly (no reboots) for over 350 days each.

booyah
05-16-2003, 01:44 PM
funny thing is with all the pro *nix talk, no one seems to know that zombie processes are part of unix...

all you have to do though is a restart on apache to clear any apache zombies.

my favorite server of mine is the FreeBSD 3.3 box (yeah, old version) that has an uptime 1021 days and 11 hours at the time of this posting.... :-) yeah for *nix and yes this is a public internet machine hosting sites

DaisyDuke
05-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Huh, i think i can make the very generalized statement that a LOT of people on AO like cats.

banzaimf
05-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by booyah
funny thing is with all the pro *nix talk, no one seems to know that zombie processes are part of unix...

all you have to do though is a restart on apache to clear any apache zombies.

Never said that Unix doesn't. You shouldn't have to reboot a box to free up zombie processes in unix though. Although there are some apps with problems that occasionally have to be bounced.

billmi
05-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Unless OSs change radically from where they are now, I won't ever willingly admin an MS server. I'd sooner farm the load on some of my Amigas.

The pig also is running on a box from Sun.

And yep, a zombie process is a program that ran, then locked up, crashed, or otherwised failed, and did not exit properly, freeing up the memory that was allocated to it.