PDA

View Full Version : Problems deciding on a marker.....

Rabidfire
05-14-2003, 09:52 PM
After a 4 year hiatus from the game, so much has changed and would like a bit of help deciding on what to get.

Right now, my choices are:

Automag (P/F)
Minimag
Spyder Electra DX

Im trying to keep things on an under 400 budget. Mags have always been relatively reliable. Im going to be running CO2 no matter what, only because its easily attainable. Thanks for any input...

darklord
05-14-2003, 09:57 PM
If a mag is what you want, I suggest a used mag, something like this: classic valve mag, level 10, intelliframe, (whichever body you prefer, I'd go with ULE though) and a decent barrel. If you're running CO2, personally I'd put an expansion chamber or a palmer stablizer on there too. Add a 12v revvy if you don't have one. Don't forget an anti-siphon or a remote.

Rabidfire
05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback...

Have you heard anything about the Spyder Electra DX?

Blazestorm
05-14-2003, 10:02 PM
I would check out Ebay :D

Rabidfire
05-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Ok

I used to have a 1st generation spyder and the thing chopped balls like crazy. Have the Spyders improved? and is the Electra DX a viable option.

Mossman
05-14-2003, 10:22 PM
It doesn't matter what letters are after the name, or the name at all for that matter, an electro spyder is an electro spyder.

You'll be able to shoot faster with it, and more effortlessly, but they break paint, sometimes have recocking issues, have velocity issues, and are cheaply made.

I'd go for a used level 10 classic mag with powerfeed for around 225 bucks and work my way up from there.

You wont break paint with it, it'll be plenty fast for rec and woods ball play, and if you decide to take another 4 year hiatus you can bury it in your back yard and dig it up when you feel like playing again and it'll work like a champ.

MAGS rule :)
here's mine
http://209.6.170.71:3000/camera/aaa-%20new%20emag/decent%20with%20equation.jpg

deathstalker
05-14-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Mossman
It doesn't matter what letters are after the name, or the name at all for that matter, an electro spyder is an electro spyder.
Your statement is quite... profound.

E-framed blowbacks are quite capable of handling everything a rec player (and even a casual tourney player) can throw at it. The problems you listed are no different from problems someone might experience with any marker. My Hyperframed Xtra has proven itself to be the most reliable marker in my collection.

However, if you decide to buy a blowback, I would pass on an Electra and pick up an Esprit for only $80 at www.paintballgateway.com. The money you save can be spent on an inline reg like a Stabilizer (consistency with CO2), a motorized hopper (elimintes chopping), and an aftermarket barrel (better paint/barrel match). This will still leave you plenty of money to pay for paint and field fees.

-Carnifex-
05-14-2003, 11:09 PM
I run with an E-99, shocktech quick strip bolt, it shoots really well for the price.

DeathscytheSK
05-14-2003, 11:13 PM
I agree with deathstalker, I do think an automag is a better gun, but they require too much for it to be able to run off co2 good, and you still have the risk of it freezing up your orings, an espirit is a good spyder to upgrade to what you want, or another good option is a Spyder AMG, they have been proven to be good enough even for the tourney seen (Team Bad Company)

Mossman
05-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by deathstalker

Your statement is quite... profound.

E-framed blowbacks are quite capable of handling everything a rec player (and even a casual tourney player) can throw at it. The problems you listed are no different from problems someone might experience with any marker. My Hyperframed Xtra has proven itself to be the most reliable marker in my collection.

However, if you decide to buy a blowback, I would pass on an Electra and pick up an Esprit for only $80 at www.paintballgateway.com. The money you save can be spent on an inline reg like a Stabilizer (consistency with CO2), a motorized hopper (elimintes chopping), and an aftermarket barrel (better paint/barrel match). This will still leave you plenty of money to pay for paint and field fees.

I wasn't saying they're crap (which in my experience, they tend to be :p, jk)
In face i have an electro pirahna.

I was simply saying that they've all got the same body with a few flashy colors or random holes, they all have essentially the same E grip and same internals. If you want to run bottomline you get one with bottomline, but the random names and special trims and special edition colors don't mean anything. Bah im tired;)

jaylock33
05-15-2003, 10:38 AM
Don't get me wrong spiders are a good start up or start back up as the case maybe. But kingman has developed an amazing ability to bolt on another chunk of metal and add another 50 bucks for that chunk of metal.

deathstalker
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jaylock33
Don't get me wrong spiders are a good start up or start back up as the case maybe. But kingman has developed an amazing ability to bolt on another chunk of metal and add another 50 bucks for that chunk of metal.
What, like a MiniMag?;)

skife
05-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by deathstalker

What, like a MiniMag?;)

wouldn't that be considered taking off a chunk of metal?

beefstew
05-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Not to be an *** or anything, but i think you best bet is spending 350 or so and getting yourself a used angel LED nice fast guns and you can let them sit around a while.
BeefSTew

mrkbik
05-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by skife

wouldn't that be considered taking off a chunk of metal?

No, the minimag is actually bigger than the automag. AGD lengthened the body to make it look like an assualt rifle or whatever.

punkncat
05-15-2003, 08:18 PM
The only Spyder that I would really reccomend at all would be an AMG.It will perform better "out of the box" on CO2 and will require less upgrades than many of the other Spyders.
Putting money into a Spyder is crazy , you can NEVER get it back out and in the end you are left with a great mid grade marker for the same money you could have put into a good high grade one.(I have a milly with over 1K in it and can't give it away for 200$)
Mags have been coming down in price a lot lately and I think you could find a great deal out there.I worry how far they will fall though , they may end up like Kingman markers on resale value if they keep going....