PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Mag Body

Tobe2be
05-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Well dont mind the title i put weird title so people can look and help a fellow mag owner. well i have a lil problem i went to home depot to buy a buffer wheel to polish my mag body cuz i cant afford a plished minimag body. Anyways i bought the buffing wheel for a hand drill and it came with 3 polishing "stones" for 3 diffrent types of metal. the first one is for ferrous metals. the second one is for non-ferrous metals and the third one is for something completely diffrent from polishing. my question is what stone do i use the one for ferrous metals or the one for non. thanks for reading and if you have a cheap polished/chrome minimag body for sale pm me. Thanks again for looking

FreshmanBob
05-15-2003, 08:53 PM
weeeeell ferrous means iron, so that would be stuff like, steel, or iron, or something with iron in it. Non ferrous is something like Ti or aluminum ooorr brass. Seeing how as the mainbody is made of stainless steel, go for the ferrous.

Tobe2be
05-15-2003, 09:05 PM
ok cool now what about a dz3 what should i use and thanks for responding

BajaBoy
05-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Tobe2be
ok cool now what about a dz3 what should i use and thanks for responding

use the dark grey for your body, and the white one for you dz. (i had bought the same kit a wile back)

also if u have a highspeed drill it will help Alot.

banzaimf
05-15-2003, 09:50 PM
uhm stainless steel is non ferrous I do believe. Magnets don't stick to stainless

Tobe2be
05-15-2003, 09:59 PM
so i should use the non ferrous one on my bdy then.

Mossman
05-15-2003, 10:06 PM
use the ferrous on the body. I've had good experiences with the ferrous ones taking out surface scratches on aluminum too.

Either way neither will hurt, but I'd start with ferrous and work my way down. Can't hurt nuttin'

Tobe2be
05-15-2003, 10:09 PM
so moss youre telling me it wont affect the shine od the body. cuz i dont wanna mess up the body

Foahr Decatur
05-15-2003, 11:53 PM
If you are useing a stone to grind with DON'T use it on aluminum the aluminum gets mucked up in the stone it can fill the poors and can become so heated that it will expand and make the stone shatter. Which is bad if its spinning relly fast. Make sure it says you can use it on aluminum or any non ferrous matteral that does not spark. Use safty glasses and shilds and all that when you use it.

And ferrous just means that it has iron on it. There are types of steal that is not magnetic like Stainless serries number 302 ish to 347 ish.

funkmunky56
05-16-2003, 08:47 AM
c'mon guys... STEEL IS FERROUS. get a clue

use the ferrous wheel... or better yet, buy a polishing wheel, and some rouge, and do it the right way.

Tobe2be
05-16-2003, 01:58 PM
i bought the buffing wheel and it came this this cream type stone that is rubbed on the polishing wheel but i dont know which one to use.