PDA

View Full Version : Everyone! Let's Hear What Barrel You Use..and Why..help This Quest...

KaidenJohn
05-17-2003, 02:05 PM
What kind of barrel does everyone use? There are so many coming our now. Like Freak,Evil,Dye ect.. what's the best in your opion.

elpimpo
05-17-2003, 02:09 PM
i use an aa and a cp i love them

Hoodlum
05-17-2003, 02:16 PM
I use a 10'in freak i use it cuz its a good barrel and its like have 8 barrels because of the inserts and i can change the tip to a 12 or 14 if need be and i only paied 100 bucks for the whole set :D

KaidenJohn
05-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Thanks you guys keep the opions coming...

serturbo
05-17-2003, 07:13 PM
I use the Freak with the AA tip.

Won Hunglo
05-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Tried & true.

Everclear
05-18-2003, 02:30 AM
I use a freak, and a boomstick. 12", and 16" tips on the freak, and a 16" boomy. I like 'em both. I still want a CP 1 piece. I really like CP.

Bulldog
05-18-2003, 09:20 AM
14 inch Evil Pipe. I like backs, not inserts. Good looks and lightweight.

KaidenJohn
05-18-2003, 06:28 PM
It seems that a lot of people use freaks...why?
How are the dye,evil ect.

Thanks everyone for your info..keep it coming..what kind of barrel do you use and why..

darkled
05-18-2003, 06:43 PM
i use a pro bezerk on my old led and it shot great. never shot an evil on an angel

pb-afroman
05-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I shoot a 12" boomstick only because it came with my gun. If I had a choice I would either be shooting a 14" ultralite or if I wasn't on a budget a scepter kit.

Tempest261
05-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Had issues with my Freak slicing my paint up, and actually wasn't all that accurate.

I got 3 Dye Ultralights (3 bores, 3 lengths) and haven't looked back. MUCH more reliable and accurate than any freak set I've ever seen/used.

CoolAngelTech
05-19-2003, 12:09 AM
I run the same set of Dye Ultralites and I am very happy with the results.

quickdraw427
05-19-2003, 01:54 AM
Got an Evil Pipe kit on my Speed, shot the lights out on Saturday. Needless to say, I'm quite happy with it.

xtremexnyc
05-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Freak Kit with 14" AA

headkase
05-19-2003, 10:25 AM
i used a freak for a season a switched to the jt 2 pieces.... i think that dye and jt did it right this time with their new 2 piece kits cause i love my jt barrel.... as for the freak... and this is purely through personal experiances.... there are ALOT of inserts that you will NEVER need...(but obviously nice to have in case of some weird bs) also.. and this might be weird but i have seen this with other people.... i dont think they make their backs right on those freak systems..... i had an impulse freak back and put an insert in and there was a ring of light around the insert.. bought a cocker freak back with THE SAME insert and it fit beautifully..... other people i know have the same problem.. so through personal experiance.. i would pass on the freak.... or any thing that has inserts (except the scepter barrel by powerlyte.. they did the insert thing right with the way they fit in)... its a more expensive road.. but the dye and jt tips are nice.. no insert problems.. and shoot like the old 1 pieces.. beautifully

CpSuPeRkId
05-19-2003, 12:26 PM
omg headkase- you read my mind word for word!!!!!

i used to use a freak and also found TONS of reasons why it sucks. sure its nice having all those inserts but you never really use them all unless you buy crappy paint and its always inconsistent. like you said also, its not just that, its the quality of how its made. the inserts are NEVER lined up right.you have to sit there and turn the inserts with your finger while looking through the barrel to see the little ring center up right. i mean how can the be accurate when the inserts sit crooked??? this means they will be hit against the side of the front and it will not shoot accurately at all. lots of barrel breaks are caused by this too. just 1 more thing, my friend just got a pewter freak tip for his dark cocker and it had a burr on it and just broke paint everywhere. they simply are made like crap.

i now use a black jt. 2pc barrel set. it was either this or a set of 3 ultralites. im a sucker for good quality so i went to warped sportz and looked through all of the dye barrels and jt barrels. the jt barrels actually had a more precision and centered back/front than the new 2pc dye ones. this alone convinced me to buy them but i also looked at a few more things. the jt barrel has a PERFECT amount of porting. the dye barrels just have too much. thats going to majorly screw air efficiency and im one who cares about that. the jt is also cheaper because you can buy the backs separately instead of being forced to buy custom ordered and expensive WHOLE ultralites direct from dye. with the jt barrel you can just buy the size back you need to buy. over all its been the best quality and most accurate barrel ive ever owned, and yes i owned a freak for a whole month before i sold it.

KaidenJohn
05-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback on the barrels. It sounds like everyone thinks freak barrels are over rated! The dye barrels seem to be up there with the jt's nice. Anyone tested the evil kit?

CpSuPeRkId
05-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
14 inch Evil Pipe. I like backs, not inserts. Good looks and lightweight. ask bulldog, he seems to own one. the evil pipe is just not my cup of tea. i just dont like funky looks. besides that i cant speak because ive never used one.

Tempest261
05-19-2003, 02:59 PM
I heard they were machined very poorly. But that could have just been the initial batch. Who knows.

headkase
05-19-2003, 04:04 PM
i hear that the evil barrels are made poorly too..... very cheap and thin aluminum....kinda like those $hitty adaptors they make for spyder to tippman barrels but thats what i hear from friends i dont wanna bash a company too bad without trying them myself.. but food for thought

quickdraw427
05-19-2003, 04:39 PM
There may have been a bad batch early on or something, but I've been shooting a Pipe for a few months now, and I can say that this barrel can definitely hold its own against the more popular systems out there. It has a unique look and an even more unique sound (trust me, it sounds cool). Great accuracy and a good selection of bore sizes to choose from. As far as the thin aluminum comment, I don't see that at all. My Pipe is pretty darn tough. Prices on Pipes are coming down, so if you want a great barrel kit and you're tight on money, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pipe.

headkase
05-19-2003, 05:50 PM
if your on a budget and wanna stay away from the inserts (i think best bet) you might wanna try the evil or the empire kits.....I HAVE NOT SHOT either so i cant recomend... but they are cheap especially used on line.... actually has anyone shot the empire kit?????

Deep Sixx
05-20-2003, 09:52 AM
Freak with a 14" AA tip. I won't use anything else.

I've never had one problem with it and I always have a perfect bore-paint match. I like the inserts over backs because I've been able to use my 1 Freak kit on all of my markers as opposed to buying a complete barrel system for each marker.

BTW, my teammate uses an Evil Pipe on his E-Mag. Seems to work very well. A little weird looking, but it shoots nice.

sixx

Army
05-20-2003, 12:36 PM
JJ Ceramics mostly. 4oz and less, and wonderfully quiet when I can match the paint.

darklord
05-20-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm getting a powerlyte scepter, I have a CP one piece now. I'd get the 3 dye ultralights, but the price tag is too high for my liking.

Load SM5
05-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Normally a couple of boomsticks but I just picked up a sceptre kit at the Megameet and I'm pretty happy with it.

])arKNe$$
05-20-2003, 12:51 PM
i like boomsticks or any other ss barrel because if you chop the paint will not stick to the stainless steal at all it just slides off beautifully

NatogDarkheart
05-20-2003, 01:16 PM
As soon as I get my hands on a ULE body, I'll use the Titanium Longbow set from my 'Cocker. The craftsmanship is great, and the titanium is much lighter than the SS barrels out there. I like how the tips screw on over the back piece, so the fit is much better than if it went on the other way around...

-Natog Darkheart

ZSigErik
05-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Dye Boomy 14", shoots darts with RPS paint, I use mainly marbs and its gorgeous...

personman
05-20-2003, 02:12 PM
I highly reccomend the J&J Edge kit. It is very good looking, and insanely cheap (check it out @ http://www.paintballdiscounters.com ) It comes with 4 backs and honestly thats all I need and probally I'll ever need. Its very nice.. its just one of those things you would have to try out..

cphilip
05-20-2003, 02:54 PM
I've had a lot of em and all the barrels I ever had were good. Including the stock mag and Spyder barrels. I had AA All Americans, AA Tear Drops, AA Freaks, CP, Boomsticks, Armsons. All worked fine. I now have a Scepter Kit (5 bores) and a large bore CP (.693) and a Stock X Mag barrel (.688) that I alternate use on the X Mag and the RTP. And I have a 12 inch Boomy as well in the case (.688). So thats what I am using now. Those. I never had what I would call a Bad barrel. Just some fit my paint that particlar day better is all. Some where quiter and some where better to shoot through a mess with. They all shoot good when the paints not too tight.

GSKRAP
05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
i switch between my 14" teardrop (deadly quiet) and stock minimag barrel (really small). they're both cool for different situations.

dcmander
05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I use LAPCOs.

I have a LAPCO Bigshot (.689) and a LAPCO Autospirit (.685), both in 11.5" I believe.

I'm looking into buying a 14" Armon Stealth. Looks good with the micromag (comes stock on it, but I bought used) and I need a 14" barrel.

What do you guys think about the Armson Stealths? I already PMed cphilip about it :P Anyone else use it?

What bores does it come in?

Thanks.. LAPCO and CP have always been my favorite barrels. Cheap, successful, proven.

SyntaxError
05-20-2003, 07:47 PM
I use an old school AA on my mag, and a Jacko and J&J Full tilt on my Angel. Other than those, I've had great success with Titanium Paintball's Longbow system, great craftsmanship, no problems with defective inserts (its all fronts/backs) and shoots very nice.

thegiantc
05-20-2003, 10:45 PM
I sold my Freak because it flat out STUNK. I have 16" Dye Boomstick and 10" Ultralite, 11.5" Lapco Bigshot & SS Autospirit, 13.5" Armson Stealth, 14" Smartparts AA (never use). The Boomstick is a regular fixture on my Mag.

dcmander- I have had excellent luck using Armson Stealth, Shoots strait and is one of the quietest ones ( I use it when I play rec. in the woods).

Crimson_Turkey
05-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Tippmann A-5 stock...

I don't have the money for an ultralite yet.

battlegroup
05-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by NatogDarkheart
As soon as I get my hands on a ULE body, I'll use the Titanium Longbow set from my 'Cocker. The craftsmanship is great, and the titanium is much lighter than the SS barrels out there. I like how the tips screw on over the back piece, so the fit is much better than if it went on the other way around...

-Natog Darkheart

Same here! I have the whole Longbow set just waiting for my X-Mag to show up.

Torbo
05-21-2003, 06:09 PM
a j&j ceramic and a sp progressive, mostly bc im too poor to buy a better barrel. They are very nice for the price though

JT2002
05-21-2003, 06:33 PM
14in AA freak. broke maybey 3 balls , after that it shot darts. and it is also much quieter than my stock timmy barrel

Pile & A Half
05-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Freak Freak Freak Freak.....

Got to love the Freak. Easy to use, and shoots really nice. I haven't had any trouble with it....but the Pipe has come out, and I have heard nothing but good about that. So I might have to look into that. But right now as far as I'm concerned....Freak is the only way to go.

DCB
05-21-2003, 09:24 PM
I have a Dye UL and it is by far the best I have used!!! I have used many different barrels and this is the best. The new style you can get different fronts and backs.

Fritzy
05-21-2003, 10:22 PM
I have always had better luck with one piece barrels. My DYE Aluminum shoots significantly better than my Boomstick. I also love the CP one piece barrels. I have .685 and .689 CP one pieces with cocker threads. Shoot darts with my Trix, Cocker and mag.

You just don't have any tolerance issues with a one piece barrel. I have sold my two-piece (boomsticks) and sleeve barrels (freak) which I just didn't feel were as consistent.

Bonx0007
05-21-2003, 10:31 PM
i recomend the barrel kit that comes stock on the wgp oracle. I think it is called the caybber kit if i am not mistaken. either way last time i was out many fell victim to me becuase of this barrel and the amazing player behind it.;)

Mr.Orange
05-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Lapco. On my Minimag I use Lapco Bigshot and Autospirit. Why? They rock, and the two bore sizes work well for me. They are loud, but shoot very straight.

I also use Titanium Longbow barrels, currently have a full set. I am having a real good time with those barrels. They are light, and shoot straight, and come in 10".

Mr. Orange
Team Reservoir Dogs
Naples Italy