PDA

View Full Version : G6, Ball 1, G... What?

BlackVCG
05-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Okay, I'm not a big time tourney player and I don't go to many big tournaments(I don't watch when I do go) so I'm not quite up to date on all of these codes these teams are using. It seems pretty consistent amongst professional teams to use "G codes". I'm assuming that this indicates a section of the field or a particular bunker, but how do they determine the number?

I'm pretty familiar with all of the names like "Dorito,Can,Taco,etc.", but I'd like to know how teams use number and letter codes.

TheBigRaguPB4L
05-18-2003, 06:46 PM
I think it really depends on the team. I haven't seen many teams use g codes. Actualy, i haven't seen any. Then again, i tend not to watch tournies either. So i guess i'm not any help for you. Don't know why i even bother posted cause i didn't help you in the slightest bit. They're usually not hard to figure out. I can usually tell what they're codes are after a few games, and you're smarter than i am so it shouldn't take you to long.

devingoode
05-18-2003, 06:56 PM
when a person yells out "G2" that means that two players on the opposing team are out

BlackVCG
05-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I've heard SC Ironmen, Aftershock and Dynasty use them.

For example, some of the Dynasty guys said the shot out a few guys at "G6". That's great to know, but where is that?

I've heard it used enough times that I know it's pretty common, at least amongst Pro teams.

Curly
05-18-2003, 07:12 PM
The G count is a way for teams to keep track of eliminations. For example G6 would indicate that 6 members of the opposing team had been eliminated. G5 would mean that five players on the other team have been eliminated and so on. This lets you keep track of the count and know when you are up on numbers. Often when you eliminate someone or see them come off the field you want to call which "G" they are and where they came from. For example lets say that five players on their team have been elminated and I shoot out the back right guy. Then I will say " G6 Back Right". This lets our team know that we have another elim and also where he was eliminated from.

The ball count is very similar but instead of keeping track of the other teams eliminations this is to keep track of your own teams count. Ball 3 would mean that three people on your team have been eliminated.

If you were to hear say... "G7 Ball 1" in a 10 man game then you would know that you are way up on numbers and that its a 3 on 9 game in your favor. This helps players know when to be more agressive and when to be more defensive.

The G and Ball counts can be very effective as long as your numbers are correct. More then once have I seen teams that thought they had G 10 stop playing and get the flag only to find that there was one guy left to shoot them. The G count is a tool but it isnt something that you should rely 100% on.

-Jeremy

DroopyTheBacker
05-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Just out of curiosity where did they come up with the G and Ball names?:confused:

LawFox32
05-18-2003, 07:42 PM
maybe
G is short for Gone, like 3 men gone would be G3,

ball umm short for ballers, like 4 cool ballers gone

don't listen to me

kilaueakid
05-18-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure of where the "G" came from, but more than likely short for gone.

As far as using the term "Ball" goes, I am pretty sure it is used like in baseball. Balls are bad, strikes are good. I know we used to heavily use "Ball" and "Strike". Strike meaning a good thing for your team and you eliminated an oppsing player....."Strike 2 from the back right" and so on. "Ball one, jim from the center" ect, ect, when you lose one of your own teammates.

kila

Major Ho
05-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Are you guys sure youre not thinking about K1(kill 1)/T!(Team member elim 1)
They way BlackVCG is describing it, it seems hes trying to ask if the pros use the G code for location reference?

kilaueakid
05-18-2003, 10:07 PM
It is possible they use "G" for location codes, and if that is the case, all teams have different ways of communicating that info. I know alot of teams use the name of their home fields to label bunkers, for instance PGI(Paintball Games Inc) or SYO(Splat your out). Teams will reference the back line of bunkers from left to right using the initials...
S= back left Y= back center O= back right

I have also heard teams use days of the week to label bunkers on the field.

SlipknotX556
05-18-2003, 10:45 PM
I have used the "G" term, most people that play with me know when I say G2 it means 2 are gone. Its quite common around here to use that term.

I play with the back man for Strange, Marc Davis and he uses the "G" term.

Curly
05-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Major Ho
Are you guys sure youre not thinking about K1(kill 1)/T!(Team member elim 1)
They way BlackVCG is describing it, it seems hes trying to ask if the pros use the G code for location reference?

What he is hearing in those videos is the reference to the elim count. A lot of teams use this for simplicity.

~WarpedRT#2~
05-18-2003, 11:05 PM
The team I used to play on just used normal numbers. They indicated how many people were left on each team. We would always call out our number first, and then the opposing teams number. Like 52 would mean that we had 5 players left, and they had 2 left. But usually, codes dont stay the same from team to team. And besides, it smart to change them after every game in a tournament anyway. And best not to use the same strategy every time. In 5 man games, it's easy to sit down with a dozen copies of the field's layout, and watch how each team moves, while recording them. Doing this will let you see if the teams are changing their plans or not, if they arent, you know where they are going to go. If you're really smart, you can have someone else listen to the calls and see exactly what each call means so you can counter-act them during play.