PDA

View Full Version : Any rotary enthusists?

FeelTheRT
05-18-2003, 09:36 PM
i've been wanting to get this RX-7 from thsi one guy. He even got the engine rebuilt and ported for me because i wanted to buy it, but now my dad is saying how rotary engines are unreliable and whatnot. I realize they require a little more care but are they really that much unreliable? I've also got this Prelude lined up.. well as soon as the dealer gets it in =). any other suggestion for cars or about the RX-7?

Rmarks
05-18-2003, 09:39 PM
what Generation RX7?

Cha0tic
05-18-2003, 09:41 PM
i would get a prelude over an rx-7. the rx-7 can have many things go wrong. many of those problems involve the turbos. the prelude will probably live a longer life if maintained correctly.

Automaggin2
05-18-2003, 09:45 PM
RX7s are very unreliable. Even 2nd gens are unreliable. You have to pump so much money into those things

Cha0tic
05-18-2003, 09:58 PM
the rx-8 should be pretty cool too. mazda has announced that they will be working on a mazdaspeed rx-8. that means turbo!!

BTW- i really like mazdas. i just bought a new mazda 6s. v6, 220hp. its pretty nice. i hope to buy a miata and modify it to a nice autocross car.

RT pRo AuToMaG
05-18-2003, 09:59 PM
The rotary engines are great, but a ****load of maintainance and they aren't too reliable, especially if you will use it for a daily driver.

FeelTheRT
05-18-2003, 10:06 PM
second gen RX-7 GTU. What i dont understand is why rotary's are so unreliable. All the other RX-7 owners i have talked to say they are fine if you know how to take care of them. If you think about it, the engine only has only a few parts moving literaly. Two rotors, thats it. In a, say 4 cyl, piston engine, you have: 4 pistons, 4 crank shafts, 16 valves (dohc), 16 springs, and two camshafts. That is 40 moving parts. And with a rotary engine, the rotors are moving in a continous smooth elliptical motion, while in a piston, you have pistons in a linear motion violently swtiching directions back and forth.

but anways, the dealer still hasn't gotten the car in yet (been a freakin week), and they still gotta check it and everything, so i'm hopping it'll be done and mine by the end of this week (i wanna goto HFStival on the 24th). But i suppose the Prelude does have more potential, engine swaps, upgrades, and other stuff even though its slower stock.

Rmarks
05-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by FeelTheRT
second gen RX-7 GTU. What i dont understand is why rotary's are so unreliable. All the other RX-7 owners i have talked to say they are fine if you know how to take care of them. If you think about it, the engine only has only a few parts moving literaly. Two rotors, thats it. In a, say 4 cyl, piston engine, you have: 4 pistons, 4 crank shafts, 16 valves (dohc), 16 springs, and two camshafts. That is 40 moving parts. And with a rotary engine, the rotors are moving in a continous smooth elliptical motion, while in a piston, you have pistons in a linear motion violently swtiching directions back and forth.

but anways, the dealer still hasn't gotten the car in yet (been a freakin week), and they still gotta check it and everything, so i'm hopping it'll be done and mine by the end of this week (i wanna goto HFStival on the 24th). But i suppose the Prelude does have more potential, engine swaps, upgrades, and other stuff even though its slower stock.

The 2nd gen RX7 is very reliable. It also can be a fun car to play with. The stigma for being un-reliable came from the 3rd gen RX7 and owners who modded the crap out of it then left the fuel and cooling system totally stock. If the motor doesn't have enough fuel it will go lean and then you'll have detonation in the engine. The Rotary has problems with it's Apex seals(those are the seals that hold the Rotors together basically) They are the weakest point of the engine so when they go you need to rebuild the engine. If you want Information about the GTU or any other RX7 for that matter goto www.rx7club.com It's a great forum and can give you a lot of information on what to do, what not to do, trouble shooting problems and of course modding the car.

MicrOMag
05-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Once rebuilt they're not unreliable. You should be set.
Its not that they're so unreliable, its the problem of getting people who know how to work on the things, when they break.

...of course the h22 or h23 in the lude is going to be more reliable, but thats just a honda. As for swapping...you're not going to swap an engine into the lude, it has the best honda engine that there could possibly be for it. You're not going to go to a GSR or Ls/VTEC when you're driving a lude, it doesn't make sense and the numbers on the h22(3) are better anyway. You could do tons of aftermarket mods but I wouldn't swap a new engine in unless the old one was beat.

...even then you could swap a new rotary engine into the Rx if you wanted to.

FeelTheRT
05-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Rmarks

The stigma for being un-reliable came from the 3rd gen RX7 and owners who modded the crap out of it then left the fuel and cooling system totally stock.

so i heard

Originally posted by Rmarks

If you want Information about the GTU or any other RX7 for that matter goto www.rx7club.com
yep, way ahead of you, been posting there for a while. Most of htem tell me RX-7's are great reliable cars.

FeelTheRT
05-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by MicrOMag

...of course the h22 or h23 in the lude is going to be more reliable, but thats just a honda.

What gen Rx is it?
yea, but engine swaps are expensive.

like i said, the Rex is a gen 2.

einhander619
05-18-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm all about the rotary. The new Renesis rotary is something crazy, 250 bhp from a naturally aspirated 1.3 liter! Can anybody say turbo kit?:D I'd go for that RX7, simply because you don't see them everyday like freakin hondas. Besides, I know alot of people will disagree, but I think that RX7s look sooo sexy with the combat/ricer style body kits and big GT wings. The same thing goes for supras, skylines, and the older mark subaru imprezas. Of course, you gotta have the speed to back that look up, though!

MicrOMag
05-18-2003, 10:17 PM

yea, but engine swaps are expensive.

like i said, the Rex is a gen 2.

Any engine swap is expensive. ...and if u thought the h22(3) was an engine swap, its the stock engine for the Prelude.

MicrOMag
05-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Once rebuilt they're not unreliable. You should be set.
Its not that they're so unreliable, its the problem of getting people who know how to work on the things, when they break.

...of course the h22 or h23 in the lude is going to be more reliable, but thats just a honda. As for swapping...you're not going to swap an engine into the lude, it has the best honda engine that there could possibly be for it. You're not going to go to a GSR or Ls/VTEC when you're driving a lude, it doesn't make sense and the numbers on the h22(3) are better anyway. You could do tons of aftermarket mods but I wouldn't swap a new engine in unless the old one was beat.

...even then you could swap a new rotary engine into the Rx if you wanted to.

I'll quote myself, since i edited a bunch

Rmarks
05-18-2003, 10:20 PM

so i heard

yep, way ahead of you, been posting there for a while. Most of htem tell me RX-7's are great reliable cars.

Most of all remember this fact: The Mazda Dealership is your ENEMY. They cause more problems than anything else. I can't tell you how many horror stories I've read on the RX7 forum over the last couple years from dealership mechanics doing stupid crap.

Rmarks
05-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
I'm all about the rotary. The new Renesis rotary is something crazy, 250 bhp from a naturally aspirated 1.3 liter! Can anybody say turbo kit?:D I'd go for that RX7, simply because you don't see them everyday like freakin hondas. Besides, I know alot of people will disagree, but I think that RX7s look sooo sexy with the combat/ricer style body kits and big GT wings. The same thing goes for supras, skylines, and the older mark subaru imprezas. Of course, you gotta have the speed to back that look up, though!

I've loved the 3rd gen RX7 for longer than I can remember, but if they're putting a body kit and big wing on the car They better be able to back up the looks with performance.

Lone Brain Cell
05-18-2003, 10:22 PM
I have owned a rotary a few years back & I loved it.......They are sooth as silk at 10mph or 100mph. & at any revs. All you have to do (and do it religiously) warm the thing up in the morning. & do regular oil checks & changes. that way you will be able to probably extend your engine life.
I would own one again. My rx had regular engine changes due to the fact that I was always wanting more porting done.:p ;)

FeelTheRT
05-18-2003, 10:26 PM

Any engine swap is expensive. ...and if u thought the h22(3) was an engine swap, its the stock engine for the Prelude.
not in a 93 S... right?

MicrOMag
05-18-2003, 10:30 PM

not in a 93 S... right?

Sorry you're right, I wasn't thinking about it could be that early, or that model.

It has a F22A1 in it

Displacement (cc): 2156
Power (bhp@rpm): 135@5200
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 142@4500
Compression Ratio: 8.8:1
Bore (mm): 85
Stroke (mm): 95
Cam Design: dohc
VTEC?: no
OBD: 1 or 2
Year(s) Produced: 1992-1996
In the following car(s): Honda Prelude S

i was looking around for a link to a site that had a H22-23 swap on it and I couldn't find it on the site, not a price atleast. If you wanted the engine, expect w/ mounts to be about $2300, if somebody else is doing the work for you, obviously the labor costs are going to be the part that kill you.

Archangel Kid
05-19-2003, 12:01 AM
sorry i didn't look through this whole thread its really late...errr.... early but PLEASE WATCH FOR BOOST CREEP!!!... my bro's friend blew up his engine due to it:eek:... n e who have fun

Rmarks
05-19-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Archangel Kid
sorry i didn't look through this whole thread its really late...errr.... early but PLEASE WATCH FOR BOOST CREEP!!!... my bro's friend blew up his engine due to it:eek:... n e who have fun

hehe, Boost Creep is the devil on a modded 3rd Gen RX7. Just make sure you are running somewhat rich and you should be able to survive.

FeelTheRT
05-19-2003, 05:46 AM
hah no way i could afford a 3g RX-7

FeelTheRT
05-20-2003, 09:23 PM

If you wanted the engine, expect w/ mounts to be about $2300, if somebody else is doing the work for you, obviously the labor costs are going to be the part that kill you.
wow i was acutally expecting more than that. If i did a swap, i would most likely do it myself with someone. I meen, its not that complicated, just labor. Disconnecting hoses and whatnot and lifting engine out and reverse process with new engne. But of course there would be something to go wrong that would take a few days to figure out, but hey thats how it is.