PDA

View Full Version : EMag: Grounding Issue with new ULE frame...

cledford
05-18-2003, 11:02 PM
I recently installed a ULE frame on my Emag and it worked fine for a few weeks then started acting up. I troubleshot the matter and determined the issue to be a grounding problem. At one point while disassembling the grip (while the battery was still attached), when turning the system board screw the display started flickering on and off. The problem appears to be with where the screw goes through the system board to ground it to the the frame, it is not making proper contact - I'm assuming due to the anno.

My question is, do I just need to chase the threads out with a tap - or do I need to remove the anno from the "top" of the post that screw goes into? There is a small "foil" like circle on both the front and back sides of the board and I'm wondering if it needs to make actual contact with the frame, or if the screw is touching the top side and making contact with the threads (which have been stripped of anno with a tap) will be enough.

Thanks for any help.

-Calvin

BlackVCG
05-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Dealt with this first hand on two out five brand new E-Mags I built from parts. The ano is too thick on top of the mounting post and there's too much in the threads. You can chase the threads to clean them out and get them to raw aluminum, or you can take a dremel with a brush wheel and clean off the top of the mounting post. I used a brush wheel since I didn't have a tap on hand for that size screw.

cledford
05-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Cool - thanks black!

-Calvin