PDA

View Full Version : Emag Battery charging question

Blennidae
05-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Emag owners:

How often do you charge your battery? Its supposed to be good for 20K shots right? Thats 10 cases. I usually only shoot 1 case per day of play. So I have been charging every other outing. I'm wondering if even this is overkill. I have never seen mine indicate "low battery".

What do you do?

Frank (the spank)
05-19-2003, 02:29 PM
I charge mine the night before I play. They do drain a bit even just sitting there, but not a lot. And while I play I always leave mine on and have never been without power.

Theses batteries can have the power topped off, that's what they were designed to do, same battery in a notebook computer.

Notebook batteries do get weaker over time and have to be replaced since they won't hold a charge anymore. But that's over a long time of everyday use.. on a E-Mag I bet that will last a LONG time.

sniper1rfa
05-19-2003, 02:37 PM
actually, its probably better to charge only when you get a low-battery indicator.

NiMH DO suffer from a small amount of "memory", so topping off still isnt a great idea.

Frank (the spank)
05-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Are theses lithion ion batteries? (SP)

Our iPods (I work at Apple) have lith Ion batteries and from the specs from Sony they say it can take a full dump and charge about 500 times before the battery starts to have charge problems and that it was better to always top off the power. At least thats what Sony said for their batteries.

jayel579
05-19-2003, 05:53 PM
will anything bad happen, if you do get the low battery warning? it did happen to me once, i noticed it flashing on the way back to my car after a day of playing. it seems fine now and havent had a problem since then. i usually top it off the night before i play.

athomas
05-19-2003, 10:15 PM
I usually charge the night before I play.

The battery packs must be quite rugged. Mine's quite old and just this year I hauled it out after not playing all winter. I attmpted to top it up before a tourny. The charger shut off after only 10 minutes. I thought it was strange but the electronics seemed to work fine. I played the entire tournament and not a hitch. That means the battery kept its charge from last October until the end of April of this year.

NiMh batteries as with most nickle based batteries can be topped up at any time without any ill effects. The biggest thing is to not overcharge them. Use the proper charger and keep them from overheating while charging. You can and should use a quick charger when charging any nickle based rechargeable battery. They like a fast charge and will work better with a longer life span.