PDA

View Full Version : on chopped balls and painted mainbodies

mountainbob84
05-19-2003, 03:02 PM
QUESTION #1 (pan down for q2)
Ok heres the deal I finally got my rather problematic mag to work last weekend. no dying. unfortunately, as with everything that one fixes, it only allowed the next batch of problems to occur, which is that I was chopping paint like nothing I have ever seen. and the worst part was that with the little bits of paintball in my barrel my bolt would get stuck. the thing that had me puzzled though is that sometimes it would drop on a ball and jam w/o chopping it ( bolt dropped on an intact paintball stuck in the breech/feedtube area). Now, forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't this the same mag bolt system that can give a small alligator a run for his money on finger damage? the first thing that people told me to do is to get rid of the straight feed, so I did that (i now have a powerfeed mainbody, which is the topic of question #2) however the aformentioned oddity made me wonder if some thing else is up. my first inclination is that I'm somehow short stroking the marker or something. Is this possible w/ an automag? Any other reasons why this problem would be occuring? This is BAD paint chopage, I am not at all exaggerating when I say that it would not be uncommon for me to chop 3-5 balls over the course of a five minute speedball game. Field officials were commenting that I was degooping my gun more than I was shooting it, which probably isn't far from the truth. ANY help would be appreciated.

QUESTION #2
as I stated earlier, I got a powerfeed mainbody, but as I'm a cheap bastard, I went with the stndard blasted rather than the black (hey, money not spent on the gun is money spent on paint. Right?). However it would be really nice to have it black. Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding painting of mainbodies? Or is this a very bad idea right up there w/ trying to put a nail throught the side of a filled HPA tank? Again any advice would be appreciated.

johnny dee
05-19-2003, 03:37 PM
do you have level 10 if not get that, and install it and that should stop all chopping, id did in my gun. as far as paining the gun. i wouldnt cause paint chips and scuffs reall easily and looks knda bad, but look into powdercoating.

trutle
05-19-2003, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't recommend paint... It can go on thick, and if it gets inside...well, that would be very bad. You could find an anndozing service but that's very expensive. If you could find a paint that bounds well to metal (MAKE SURE IT SAYS TO USE IT WITH METAL BASIC SPRAY PAINT WON'T WORK!). I just wouldn't do it, Paint chips and looks craptastic.

BajaBoy
05-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by trutle
I wouldn't recommend paint... It can go on thick, and if it gets inside...well, that would be very bad. You could find an anndozing service but that's very expensive. If you could find a paint that bounds well to metal (MAKE SURE IT SAYS TO USE IT WITH METAL BASIC SPRAY PAINT WON'T WORK!). I just wouldn't do it, Paint chips and looks craptastic.

i didnt read his whole poste but remember you cant ano SS:rolleyes:

nuclear zombie
05-20-2003, 03:11 AM
double check your powertube make sure that the one o-ring is towards the back of the valve behind powertube spacer. I accidently put mine in front of the powertube spacer it caused the bolt to move slightly forward when I released the trigger chopped about 1 out of 10 paintballs , took about half a case before I realized the mistake I had made.

Good luck :)

Gadget
05-20-2003, 03:34 AM
There's no way you should be chopping that much paint - even before I installed my Level 10 I could easily go through a couple of thousand paint without a chop.

First thing I'd check is your barrel nubbins. Lots of chops + bolt sticking in barrel sounds a lot like you've got a damaged wire nubbin (the bolt can catch them and wrap them round into the barrel). If that's the problem, stick a new nubbin on the barrel, preferably a plastic one.

Another possibility is that the screw which holds the grip to the body (just in front of the trigger) is protruding too far into the body and forcing the barrel out of alignment - check the barrel to see if there are any big scrapes and also (with your gun fully degassed) stick your finger inside the front of the body and see if you can feel the end of the screw sticking up, it should be slightly recessed - if so you might need a small washer on that screw to act as a spacer.

I wouldn't paint the body - it's likely to look like crap. You'd be better off polishing it.

xen_100
05-20-2003, 12:13 PM
it sounds like you are short stroking it alot. do oyu have a revy? get the level 10 bolt and you will not have any more problems with it. it will not chop paint due to feeding problems or from short stroking.