PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Thread Changer?

Peter12345
05-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi, I have a Tippmann 98 barrel that I want to put on my Spyder. Does anyone know where to get those barrel thread changers so it will fit? Thanks!

ß.C.
05-19-2003, 09:54 PM
lapco makes em

Duke Henry
05-20-2003, 12:36 PM
I don't think Lapco makes them. There is a major stumbling block to it regarding the ID of the tippmann barrel size which makes using an adapter extremely tough.

Lemme check Lapco's site...

ZOING! From Lapco's forums:

"Question

Is there any possible way to get an A5 barrel adapter that would allow me to use A5 barrels on my autococker? or possibly an adapter for a Model 98 barrel to thread into an autococker...

If you could make such a product I would be really interested in purchasing it from you to test.

I don't really want to buy another marker, but I do want to buy and adapter of this type from Lapco. Also possibly a 98 or A5 adapter to thread into a spyder marker.

And the answer is:

There are three problems with this. The overriding one is that the Tippmann barrels have a .710 ID at the breech end of the barrel. This is FAR larger than the normal 689 id of all other makers.

Problem 1

The larger id creates an unsurmountable problem to an adapter.

Barrel adapters have a very small id. It's 685. This allows the ball to pass thru the adapter while going very slowly. After the ball passes the adapter, it enters the breech end of the barrel. This is going to be something larger. Say 689. This is normal. It lets the ball pass from a smaller ID into a larger one. Hence, it never sees a seam. It never has to be necked down into something smaller, which would cause a break.

Problem 2

If we made an adapter to put a Tippmann barrel on a Cocker, The ball would have to go thru three different IDs in a very short time. This nearly always results in a break.

Putting a 98 barrel on a Cocker also presents a different problem: the adapter would have such a large outside diameter as to not actually fit. It would interfer with the Ram, 3-way and reg. That 98 barrel has the largest OD of any barrel.

Problem 3

Putting a Tippmann barrel on a Spyder or any other stacked, blowback gun is not possible due to interference with a valve knob just under the barrel. There is not enough room for a 98 adapter to be fitted there.

Most of the questions I get about this are related to putting a Flatline on Gun X. I know of only one non-Tippmann gun that can be adapted to a Flatline, and that is the Cocker. There is a kit."

darklord
05-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Not true, I'm pretty sure you can mount a flatline on a matrix with a model 98 breech... but why would you humiliate such an awesome gun? :D

Kevmaster
05-20-2003, 01:07 PM
colin does NOT make adapters to put a M98 barrel on ANY marker....only the other way around.

the only way to do it, is to have an machinist (eg: Doc or Pun) do it for you...that will cost $30-40 and be permanant

puckmaster
05-20-2003, 01:49 PM
I'd just get seperate barrels.

Duke Henry
05-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by darklord
Not true, I'm pretty sure you can mount a flatline on a matrix with a model 98 breech... but why would you humiliate such an awesome gun? :D

Agreed, no one would want to mutilate a Model 98 for that?

:D