PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone take the visors off their masks now ?

CFD323
05-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Just flipping through some paintball mags, mostly PB2X, and noticed that so many players don't wear the visors anymore. Why is that ? Or is it just a fashion statement ? Seems like that visor protects the ol' forehead and bunkered shots in the head would hurt !

adam shannon
05-19-2003, 10:29 PM
my guess is that most people think they are lowering their profile and/or thinking that chances for a bounce are better off their dome than a visor.

on a related note most players are wearing headbands and in some cases 3 or 4 on top of one another...i saw a guy take a bounce right off his forehead wearing 3 headbands.

kinda not legal..but thats what the pros do..until its written in the rules they will continue to find new ways to get over. i know guys that used to spray their goggles and wash their clothes in rain-x so paint wont stick...if you get a hit wait a minute and it all runs off. that ive been told is actually written as forbidden in the rules now.

fire1811
05-19-2003, 10:33 PM
well you can have extra padding on your head but they are pushing it.

as for the visors, if you have tinted lenses you dont really need them. i personally dont use it and never did
just like it better without

TheBigRaguPB4L
05-19-2003, 10:41 PM
I took it off my jt flex because i couldn't get the damned thing back on. The hole that holds the stupid thing is so small and the little plastic part that holds in into the mask is so flimsy. I can't get the stupid thing through.

rudy6732
05-19-2003, 10:47 PM
also the visor blocks your vision if your looking out the top of your lens. this is the most logical reason i can think of.

AlabamaMan
05-19-2003, 11:24 PM
I took mine off, because you can't see my dye headband with it on. Plain and simple.

Oh and it helped having it off my last tourny. I was diving into a bunker, and took a hit down the top left side of my mask. Cool thinkg is it didn't beark until it was right above my ear. I felt the hit, wiped my head for paint. Didn't get any, then the ref came over and checked me. Didn't see anything, so he called me clean. I thought it had bounced or something. I didn't even realize that it had broke till i was off the field, and took off my goggles. Oh well points ended up so close at the end, if i had been called out. We probably would have gotten second instead of first.

pito189
05-19-2003, 11:31 PM
The Invision visor looks like crap. That is why I took if off of there. I wear two headbands, they are just cool don't you think. Don't have to worry about your backwards hat catching on the ground as you slide, and pulling your goggles off.

TequilaMockingbird
05-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Paintball seems to have fads, things fall in and out of favor for very little reason. Nowadays one high-profile pro could say he WD-40s his pants to lower wind resistance on the break, and a legion of 14 year olds would suddenly have wet pants and smell like a service station. :p

Go with what you like, and screw what others think.

Cryer
05-20-2003, 12:24 AM
mine broke:(

Pile & A Half
05-20-2003, 01:01 AM
I've never like visors. They seem to get my way....just another extra thing to take onto the feild that you don't need. But when I first got my mask, I took and super glued a WarpedSportz sticker on it so it didn't look as much as a pile. But, I think a lot of mask's look better with out visors, such as the proteuss. Like they said, it's kind of a fad in a way. But I just can't stand them.

shartley
05-20-2003, 04:59 AM
I wear mine. But I could take it or leave it. Sometimes we leave them off. I guess it just depends.

Yamz
05-20-2003, 05:21 AM
my best answer is its the current fad but i like my visor and my dye sockhat so i will stick with that over any fad

Load SM5
05-20-2003, 07:06 AM
I would rather play with mine off, for the bigger field of vison. But I've gotten so many bounces off of it, it's really kind of scary. One guy bounced paint off my visor while bunkering me from 3 feet. So I keep it on.

JEDI
05-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Yeah, feild of vision, and lower profile mostly.

lopxtc
05-20-2003, 08:47 AM
I took mine off many years ago while still playing the off hand rec ball game. The visor would snag on branches and such while running.

About the only time I put mine on now is when its raining.

Aaron

shade23
05-20-2003, 10:30 AM
fad or not I just like the way it looks without the visor!
especially with a du-rag and a headband on!

CFD323
05-20-2003, 10:41 AM
I really like how it looks too, without the visor that is. Now let me ask you guys this then, how many of you wear some sort of forehead protection, i.e. padded headbands etc ? I saw a link posted somewhere here for the BunkerKing padded headwraps. They would probably work well against forehead hits I guess. BunkerKing (http://www.bunkerking.tv/headbands.html)

magman007
05-20-2003, 12:56 PM
field of vision, and it hink it looks cooler with out the visor. Olny time i use my visor on my flex 7 is if it is raining out....

also, tinted lenses are the shiz. I love my tinted lenses!

theraidenproject
05-20-2003, 02:21 PM
I don't wear one because the visor that came with my Spectra was crooked. It looked really reatrded with it, so I took it off. Frankly, I havn't missed it.

xadamx
05-20-2003, 02:26 PM
well, the last 2 tournies ive been in have been raining, so i wore my visor for that, otherwise i generally take it off.

i dont wear a padded headband but i still wear a headband, keeps the any sweat that might get into my eyes out, and any paint that could be in my hair(like i ever get shot though haha :rolleyes: )

BajaBoy
05-20-2003, 02:46 PM
ill wear mine with my sock hat in winter, and ill take it off in the sommer for a baseball cap.

Vegard
05-20-2003, 03:20 PM
on a tourney last year I discovered that my hair bounces balls so that`s my reason :)

logamus
05-20-2003, 03:31 PM
i wear mine but after reading all these posts about having a better field of vision without it, i will take it off and play some without to see if i like it.

VBmag87
05-20-2003, 03:55 PM
I think also why people dont wear the visors is because, alot of times the visor is the first thing you see on someone when they are starting to peak out a bunker.

Tyger
05-20-2003, 05:35 PM
The best explanation I've gotten was from someone who didn't wear one to play 'tigher'to a bunker. Instead of the visor poking the bunker, he could put the lens all the way into the thing. Not a bad explanaiton, sure. But I can't play effectively without one. I get glare, always.

I wear either a visor, or a ball cap, or my old sandana with the bill on it. But that's me.

-Tyger

Torbo
05-20-2003, 07:28 PM
i like the visor on if its soft, like a flex 7. takes bounces then. The hard/big ones have got to go, like an original proteus visor.

MantisMag
05-21-2003, 11:15 AM
better field of vision? why are you looking up? :-\

j.t.
05-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Ever see what happens if you catch a ball on the underside of the visor? Ive seen someones mask get flipped up before. That was when I decided I wouldnt wear a visor anymore and bought a tinted lense. (faded lenses are the best. block the sun but dont hinder your vision) :D

AlabamaMan
05-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by j.t.
... That was when I decided I wouldnt wear a visor anymore and bought a tinted lense. (faded lenses are the best. block the sun but dont hinder your vision) :D

I have a smoke spectra lense that i use right now. It can be kind of a pain when playing indoors with poor lighting. Which most of the tournies i play in are. But i love it when i play outside

Johnny_Reb
05-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Like AlabamaMan said, many tourney players take their visors off to avoid being shot in the visor and not knowing you were hit, thus causing a penalty by playing on.

dropkick1
05-21-2003, 06:33 PM
i don't use mine b/c it broke on my proteus, and also i think the proteus looks beter with out it and i also have a tinted lense so i don't really need it, the only tim i wish i had one was playing during the rain, o well.

ken

lawman1380
05-21-2003, 07:08 PM
I took mine off because I thought it made me look like a biker scout on star wars.

robert heatwole
05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
i took mine off for major weight reduction. lol

SlipknotX556
05-21-2003, 08:13 PM
I took mine off because you couldnt see my du rag.