PDA

View Full Version : New Metallica

warm_machine86
05-21-2003, 04:30 PM
How many of you are really excited about the new Metallica cd I heard little bits of their songs and I think it will rock.

AutomagRT1483
05-21-2003, 07:11 PM
I beyond the point of mere excitement, nuff said.;) Only a few more weeks:D :D :D

superdesk2007
05-21-2003, 08:40 PM
It will probably be like Load. I'd be more excited if they were still heavy metal. Alas, it can not be for they are alternative.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SELLOUTS!!!!!!!

You people will say Metallica evolved but isn't evolution when something gets better.

They're in it for the money. They are making a video game. They also have a DVD in it to which will cause the price to get higher, they'll say its the same price. I am sick of this New Metallica. I can't take it anymore. I like Megadeth Better then them and Led Zeppelin.

jpdgas
05-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Cant wait to see them, only a few weeks:D

superdesk2007
05-22-2003, 05:44 AM
Talent has nothing to with this. They changed their music to become more popular. Load came out when alternative was becoming popular. You are the people that like Metallica for Re-Load. Metallica has gotten worse after Master of Puppets. Lyrically they sucked, and Musically they sucked. You people don't know what true metal is. Listen to Pantera or Megadeth.

warm_machine86
05-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Hey I heard a couple of their new songs and it sounds like their old stuff like Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Maybe they're not sellouts but I really don't like the whole video game idea. That is just plain stupid.

jpdgas
05-22-2003, 11:55 AM
I agree

JEDI
05-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by superdesk2007
Talent has nothing to with this. They changed their music to become more popular. Load came out when alternative was becoming popular. You are the people that like Metallica for Re-Load. Metallica has gotten worse after Master of Puppets. Lyrically they sucked, and Musically they sucked. You people don't know what true metal is. Listen to Pantera or Megadeth.

Whoa! We have a professional music critic here. Gotten worse after M.O.P....? Are you an idiot? Half their live set is directly from Justice for all. One of the best songs they have, and considered to be one of the best Metal anthems "ONE" is off of Justice. This is all pure opinion. Oh, and YOU know what real metal is!? Where is Pantera or Megadeth now? Megadeth's last album tanked! Saying you like "Old Metallica" better, is one thing - so do I. But dont act like you're the only one that knows good metal, and you're opinion is the only valid one.

Kai
05-22-2003, 03:52 PM

You go ahead and fine me a QUOTE comming straight from a member of Metallica, that admits they changed just to become more popular. I am so sick of you people just assuming that. They have grown talent-wise. Just because YOU don't care for their new style doesn't mean it's crap. I will be the first one to admit that their older stuff is better, but their newer outings are still better than most new music on the market, today.

JEDI
05-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Kai

I will be the first one to admit that their older stuff is better, but their newer outings are still better than most new music on the market, today.

I agree. I'd take new Metallica over any of the wussy wanna-be crap out now. At least its still good rock, and not unoriginal duplicate bands trying to scream into a mic.

Thordic
05-23-2003, 09:35 AM
New metallica is poop.

MagMan5446
05-23-2003, 11:56 PM
If I could make my own videogame I would, that'd be badass...

But Megadeth and Led Zeppelin? You can't even compare the two, it's an insult to the greatness of Zeppelin. And why did you even mention Zeppelin? They weren't being discussed at all.

joeyjoe367
05-24-2003, 01:46 PM
New metallica isn't bad music, it's bad metallica.

i do listen to pantera and megadeth. but why stop there? i listen to heavier bands as well, like In Flames, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility and so on

Holy shiznak, you just named my three favorite bands! :)

m-98
05-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by JEDI

Whoa! We have a professional music critic here. Gotten worse after M.O.P....? Are you an idiot? Half their live set is directly from Justice for all. One of the best songs they have, and considered to be one of the best Metal anthems "ONE" is off of Justice. This is all pure opinion. Oh, and YOU know what real metal is!? Where is Pantera or Megadeth now? Megadeth's last album tanked! Saying you like "Old Metallica" better, is one thing - so do I. But dont act like you're the only one that knows good metal, and you're opinion is the only valid one.

The World Needs A Hero tanked? I thought it was a good album. If you're talking about Risk, then yes, that sucked. And Megadeth only broke up because Mustaine suffered major nerve damage to his left hand.

BTW This has been discussed many times before, and all this is opinion and arguing won't change anyone's opinions.

superdesk2007
05-24-2003, 08:02 PM
You people must be deaf. ...And Justice For All is MOSTLY repetetive, One, is not the best song they have. You people just like that album, because you think people will think your a rebel.

Megadeth didn't sell out (Risk doesn't count).Do you even know what happened to Megadeth, Mustaine's hand got screwed up thats why they broke up. Do some research before you say stuff. Of course they aren't doing anything.

What I meant to say Was I like Led Zeppelin and Megadeth Better than Metallica.

Of course Metallica isn't going to say they sold out, because stupid people like you would not go to their concerts.

I will never buy another Metallica album, shirt, or anything that has their logo on it.

I know its all messed up, but stupid people make me mad.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

joeyjoe367
05-24-2003, 08:41 PM
You people must be deaf. ...And Justice For All is MOSTLY repetetive, One, is not the best song they have. You people just like that album, because you think people will think your a rebel.

LMAO. Sorry, I listen to ...AFJA because it's a good album, not cuz I think I'm somehow rebelling against something by listening to that music.

I used to own Risk, but it was stolen out of my car along with about $200 worth of stuff. If you take a look on the CD, there's video interviews and stuff. They'll state explicitly that Risk is an out-of-the-norm Megadeth album; Something to make people say, "Whoa, that's megadeth?" Megadeth never sold out, IMO.

I think a *LOT* of people are missing out on good heavy metal. I thought old metallica and megadeth was as good as it gets but European metal (Especially Swedish) is incredible.

If you can put up with death-metal screams/growls for a bit and concentrate on the melodic guitar work of some of these bands, you'll really come to appreciate them. Heck, after a while the screams grew on me :D

I listened to "Frantic" on the metallica site... Good god, that is HORRIBLE! I also listened to "Chain of Pain" ; they really are going back to old-school guitar riffs, but listening to James Hetfield try to scream was painful at best.

When he sings clean, I can't keep thinking of "Opera Man"

Listen to S&M, and you'll know what I'm talking about :D

warm_machine86
05-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Did anyone hear one million times they played St. Anger on the radio? I know I sure did and I think it sucks. It's all just a bunch of riffs with no beat and the words don't even go with the song. In their defense, though, I did hear a couple other songs off of their new cd and they sounded a lot better than that one but what a disappointment of their new song.

Python14
05-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Metallica are great entertainers, and it's exactly what I think they should be. When I listen to music, I don't listen to it because it's skilled, original, new, bold, political, defiant, rebelous, etc. I listen to because I like it and it's entertaining. When I go to a concert, I got because I want to be entertained. If I wanted to go for the musicianship or whatever, I'd take a music appreciation class or something.

I like Metallica all around. I take each album for what it's worth. I don't diss a band for changing because I'd be a hypocrit if I said I had never changed for someone, and I'm looking forward to the new album.

BTW, Anyone listen to Superjoint Ritual?

RoadDawg
05-28-2003, 07:38 PM
I think the new song St. Anger stinks. I've first came into liking metallica back when the black album was released and now I'm unimpressed with anything past the black album to now. Black and farther back are by far in my opinion their best work.

Vash02
05-28-2003, 09:01 PM

Of course Metallica isn't going to say they sold out, because stupid people like you would not go to their concerts.

I know its all messed up, but stupid people make me mad.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Huh, way to stir up trouble. In any case im versitile. I like rock, punk rock, some rap.. blah blah. When it comes down to it i like Metallica no matter what they do. Sure I like their older stuff better but i have respect for (and regularly listen to) their newer stuff. I happened to like "One" very much and i like some of the songs off of S & M.

Oh and for future reference. Maybe it would be best to keep dumb comments like "stupid people like you" to yourself.

Ultimator
05-28-2003, 09:17 PM
You people just like that album, because you think people will think your a rebel.Replace "that album" with "causing trouble and trying really hard to be cool" and it applies to you!

Smokee_2_7
05-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Ultimator, I do believe that words more true have never been spoken.

MagMan5446
05-29-2003, 02:29 AM
http://www.geocities.com/austinodo@pacbell.net/winamrocklist.htm

There's my list. There's some crap on there, but not too much IMO. But there's other bands other than Zeppelin and Megadeth, I must be a sellout.

Clare
05-29-2003, 08:37 AM
I like "old" and "new" metallica...nothing wrong with change.

Nexev
05-29-2003, 09:47 AM
new metalica song stinks, sounds like system of a down

m-98
05-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Some of SOAD's stuff is good but some is just weird.

Superdesk likes or liked Metallica but I think that he is frustated that they don't have any really good, long solos any more, so that's why he likes Megadeth, lots and lots of riffs.

By the way, anyone hear anything new about Mustaine's comeback that isn't already on Megadeth's site?

jpdgas
05-30-2003, 01:56 AM
huh

m-98
05-30-2003, 05:28 AM
^^^

True, I just wish Metallica could be more like they used to be, and most new metal is not very good.

warm_machine86
05-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Okay I am a metal guitarist and I know a lot about music but what ever happened to just listening to music that is good and just leaving it at that?

obsolete898
05-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by warm_machine86
Okay I am a metal guitarist and I know a lot about music but what ever happened to just listening to music that is good and just leaving it at that?

That's just not cool. You need to be an elitist and purist to actually be cool. I mean how else would people like superdesk get laid.

superdesk2007
05-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ultimator
Replace "that album" with "causing trouble and trying really hard to be cool" and it applies to you!

Are you a kid or what, have you even heard old Metallica?
Musically over the years the quality of their music has gotten worse and worse. Yes, I have listened to New Metallica and I'll admit I like several of their new songs.
Fuel, for instance is a great song, but Re-Load has a single(Fuel) and songs to take up space.

What you said doesn't even make sense.

I listen to other bands other than Megadeth and
Led Zeppelin. Jonny Logic is a great band where I live. I could name countless others but I don't feel like it.

Kai
05-30-2003, 03:52 PM

Are you a kid or what, have you even heard old Metallica?
Musically over the years the quality of their music has gotten worse and worse. Yes, I have listened to New Metallica and I'll admit I like several of their new songs.
Fuel, for instance is a great song, but Re-Load has a single(Fuel) and songs to take up space.

What you said doesn't even make sense.

I listen to other bands other than Megadeth and
Led Zeppelin. Jonny Logic is a great band where I live. I could name countless others but I don't feel like it.

Technically, Metallica has only progressed as a band in their recent years. Their lyrics are noticably better than what they used to be. I do admit that I miss the complicated guitar solos, and Hettfield's old voice...but you can't expect the man to continue tearing apart his vocal chords in his old age. That sort of thing takes its toll.

Either way...new metal most deffinately sucks. Hardcore is the way to go.

superdesk2007
05-31-2003, 06:46 PM
I just heard their new song and saw the music video, and I'll admit I thought it was pretty good compared to the other stuff, it was heavier.

Rooster
05-31-2003, 07:18 PM
Got to love the fan boys coming out of the woodwork. Everything post black has been downhill. Load is painful to listen to, and Reload isn't much better. I've heard clips of St. Anger, and I'm not impressed.

And no, early metallica and megadeath are not good examples of heavy metal. There hasn't been good heavy metal made since the early 70's. As far as speed metal goes, pre-black Metallica was at the top of the list. Metallica sold out, and they are completely unappoligetic about it. It doesn't bother me that they sold out, they have to eat too. What bothers me is when people try to act like nothing happened between black and Load. I'm sorry to crush your fantasy, but Metallica did sell out, and their new music doesn't even compare to their old stuff.

Cryer
05-31-2003, 07:22 PM
St. Anger (their newest video for the title track of their new album) turned out nicely, as did Frantic (the song they played durng the closing credits of MTV's Icon). I'm worried because I've heard what I was told was a song from St. Anger and it was crap. Unintelligble "hardcore" lyrics Kind of like Slipknot or Mudvayne. If St. Anger turns out like that, then Metallica is dead to me.:( :mad:

Vash02
05-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Cryer
If St. Anger turns out like that, then Metallica is dead to me.:( :mad:

Thats a real shame. Sure maybe they will have another "crappy" cd on the shelf but your really willing to forget all the things they used to be?

luke
05-21-2005, 07:00 PM
The music gets better the more you listen to it, just like ANY new music from any band.

My very first impression was very much like everyone else’s that has posted here. If you really are (or use to be) a fan of these guys, rent the movie “Some kind of Monster”. It gives you a perspective of where they were coming from when they made the album, the lyric’s will make more since after watching the movie. :headbang:

Muzikman
05-21-2005, 07:12 PM
As a Metallica fan for almost 20 years, I can tell you that if Cliff was still alive, Metallica would not be doing thing things they are today. Cliff was the heart and soul of the band, he was the one making sure they were sticking to their roots. I think talent wise the existing members have gotten better, but I think song writing wise they have gone down hill, fast.

Justice was NOT their best album, it was their first attempt at main stream music. The song writing was not too bad, but the mixing and engineering of that album sucks. It hurts my ears to listen to this album. Puppets was a great album. Song writing was very good and their playing was very tight.

Old Metallica = Doing it for the fun, doing it for the music, doing it for the fans

New Metallica = Doing it for the money

EDIT
Damn....this was an OLD thread...I didn't even realize they were talking about St Anger!:)

-=Squid=-
05-21-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't like redneck rock, therefore I do not enjoy new Meticallica.

When Cliff Burton died, so did Metallica.

xXHavokXx
05-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I thought metallica had a new Cd coming out too..... damn you thread ressurector.

AGDlover
05-21-2005, 09:26 PM
lol ya then i saw the date and went awww damn well i cant really hate the album since they really sounded different in eatch album they put out so i cant hate the album but i did hate when jason left hes my all time idol and hes the reason i play bass

Muzikman
05-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Man, ya should pick a good place player to idolize!:) Newstead was not bad, but he was not great either.

punkncat
05-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I will not support Metallica in any way shape or form. They were among the best group in their genre for so long and then became the poster children for sellouts. There is a picture of them in the dictionary beside the word greed.

Its too bad too. They have really been awesome. I have no problem whatsoever burning a copy of the new music as soon as I can though, I just refuse to put a penny towards any commercial enterprize of them from the death of Napster forward. .

edit- HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!

Kai
05-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I will not support Metallica in any way shape or form. They were among the best group in their genre for so long and then became the poster children for sellouts. There is a picture of them in the dictionary beside the word greed.

Its too bad too. They have really been awesome. I have no problem whatsoever burning a copy of the new music as soon as I can though, I just refuse to put a penny towards any commercial enterprize of them from the death of Napster forward. .

edit- HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!

With Metallica, I think it is less of a case of selling out, and more of a case of 'losing their ability to write music good.'

Aerosmith, on the other hand...

Muzikman
05-22-2005, 11:41 AM
With Metallica, I think it is less of a case of selling out, and more of a case of 'losing their ability to write music good.'

Aerosmith, on the other hand...

See I also disagree with that. There are very few Aerosmith songs that I like after they sobered up. I am an honest believer that drugs make the best music and whiskey makes the best singers..

luke
05-22-2005, 12:44 PM

I find this type of attitude humorous. Why is it that people think that once someone has “so much money” they HAVE TO share what they earn with others? I think Metallica has reached god like status, and people think their work is done for spiritual reasons. Crap I say!

This is their job, something they work for. WHY should they give their earnings away or do their work for free? Do you think they haven’t sacrificed their lives to do what they do for your enjoyment? Do you think their wives like it that their husbands are never home? Do you think their children like it that their daddy doesn’t tuck them in bed at night because he’s always gone?

What gives? What price tag would you put on this? How would you like to get up and go to work everyday and get paid nothing because you had X amount of money? Think about it.

Personally I think that people jump on the “I hate Metallica” band wagon because they think it cool. This whole hate machine with Metallica that started when they cut their hair irritates me to no end. People grow up, tastes change; people like to do different things so life doesn’t grow stagnant. Why should it be different with what music a band likes to make? Metallica has never made a bad album, they may have made different music but it doesn’t make it bad.

If you really want to hate Metallica that your prerogative, but at least do it for legitimate reasons.

luke
05-22-2005, 12:53 PM

Maybe you just stopped "hearing" them because of the hate machine...

luke
05-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I have to confess, that I didn’t go looking for thus old thread. I was viewing “who’s online” and someone was in it, I just followed the link.

I just watched “Some kind of Monster” last week, so it’s fresh in my mind. Plus I’ve had their music stuck in my head all week. It probably comes from listening to St. Anger ALL day long at work for the past few weeks. :eek:

It’s a good subject, so what the hay... :p

AGDlover
05-22-2005, 01:34 PM
well said luke! :clap: Ya St. Anger may not sound right compaired to their other CD's but lissen to the difference between KEA and Load veary different we'll have to see what happens with a new album i think i've heard em in an interview saying they wont have that snaire sound anymore so dont worry guys

Gunther_mag_user
05-22-2005, 02:53 PM
That was probably me you clicked on. :P

I am a very big fan of metallica and they are one of the few bands I like and listen to. Sure I dont like Load or Reload as much as their old stuff, but that doesnt mean they suck. Metallica enjoys trying new things, and never making the same thing twice. For example, St. Anger lacked solos COMPLETELY. Metallica was trying someting new, and as you can see, it didnt turn over so well, but for many it is GOOD music. The snare drum that was lars's idea, he is the one who wanted it. The whole purpose of St. anger was to sound like a garage band, a thrash album, and well look at what it turned out to be.

What many people don't realize is that bob was on bass, and he played a big part in construction of the songs, and well.... he's not the greatest. When Metallica sued Napster they didn't do it for the money. Lars had to sell off a large amount of his fine arts to fund the laswsuits. Metallica was standing up for what they thought was right

Metallica is going to be going back to the studio for the new album very soon, and it is expected somewhere around 2006. I believe the new album will be completely different from St. anger for several key reasons. Rob is an awesome bassist and has plenty of musical talent. Also, Robs faveorite album is ride the lightning which is a tiny indicator of the genre. ;) I believe with Bob off the bass things will be much better. Kirk has been itching to really show his talent, and I believe that will be reflected by the next album.

Sorry if I dont make sense, im only 14 and I dont feel like making a long essay right now.
Gunther

edit: this is my first somewhat long post on Ao :dance:

RevBrown
05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Damn....this was an OLD thread...I didn't even realize they were talking about St Anger!:)

Yeah I started surfing the net for information on new stuff personally.
I was wondering when Metallica.com had nothing new announced.

luke
05-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Sorry if I dont make sense, im only 14 and I dont feel like making a long essay right now.
Gunther

Well said! :cool:

You're wise beyond your years. :D

I can't wait for their next album. :headbang:

AGDlover
05-22-2005, 03:23 PM
hey i'm 14 too lol ya well said kirk was kinda getting pissed when he wasnt able to do solos in ST anger

luke
05-22-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm 37 :eek: :D

SpecialBlend2786
05-22-2005, 04:46 PM
i'm 18.

BobTheCow
05-22-2005, 05:22 PM
i'm 18.
'Sup legal buddy!

Gunther_mag_user
05-22-2005, 09:06 PM
jason left hes my all time idol and hes the reason i play bass

Rob's the reason I play. :cool:

yay for li'l smokies! I love the cheese ones!
Gunther

Vex
05-23-2005, 02:07 AM
The new Metallica is rumored to be along the lines of their older albums and a return to the pure metal aspect of their incredible career.
Funny, isn't that what they said about St. Anger? Yeah, that album blows goat. I listened to it (my friend gave it to me because he thought it sucked) and afterwards, I had to listen to Kill 'Em All to cleanse my ears.
I'm not excited about anything Metallica does anymore. Maybe the'll surprise me, but probably not.

I won't say that they are bad musicians, because they're not. They are some of the best around. They just don't make good music anymore. Sorry, but ...And Justice For All was the last time they rocked, and you can see the decline in quality on that album.

P.S.--Who dug up this old thread? I didn't realize that it was about St. Anger, either.

Vex
05-23-2005, 02:14 AM
The music gets better the more you listen to it, just like ANY new music from any band.

My very first impression was very much like everyone else’s that has posted here. If you really are (or use to be) a fan of these guys, rent the movie “Some kind of Monster”. It gives you a perspective of where they were coming from when they made the album, the lyric’s will make more since after watching the movie. :headbang:
Why the hell did you reply to a thread TWO YEARS AFTER THE LAST POST??!!

Man, were you bored or what?

BigEvil
05-23-2005, 06:29 AM

I dont think they changed it to become more popular. MASter of Puppets hit the bilboard top 50 WITHOUT one single once or airplay. (on the big stations). Justice had ONE and if I remember it sold more.

DOnt forget, Metallica are in their late 30's/early 40's. They arent kids anymore, they are adults. Im 33 y.o. and the "Kill your parents" kinda music ended after high school, and I dont write. These guys have tons of talent and creativity, and im sure they get a little corny at times with that whole 'artsy' stuff. BUT, i do wish they would fall off the wagon and star drinking again. :-)

wimag
05-23-2005, 12:17 PM
SELLOUTS!!!!!!!

They're in it for the money. They are making a video game. They also have a DVD in it to which will cause the price to get higher, they'll say its the same price. I am sick of this New Metallica. I can't take it anymore. I like Megadeth Better then them and Led Zeppelin.

amen brotha

luke
05-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Why the hell did you reply to a thread TWO YEARS AFTER THE LAST POST??!!

Man, were you bored or what?

I have to confess, that I didn’t go looking for thus old thread. I was viewing “who’s online” and someone was in it, I just followed the link.

I just watched “Some kind of Monster” last week, so it’s fresh in my mind. Plus I’ve had their music stuck in my head all week. It probably comes from listening to St. Anger ALL day long at work for the past few weeks.

It’s a good subject, so what the hay...

Why are you being a jerk?