PDA

View Full Version : ????Is Nitrogen also Compressed Air????

soccer10lover
05-21-2003, 09:14 PM
WHY OR WHY NOT ----REASONS----

Wickster
05-21-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm assuming you mean compressed nitrogen being compressed air. While I don't have a shop or a compressor, the earth's atmosphere is 79% nitrogen (only 16% oxygen). Therefore when you get a compressed air fill, it is 79% nitrogen. I would have a hard time believing that anyone would go through the trouble to use pure nitrogen in a fill (and I'm not sure of the consequences of using pure nitrogen in a fill). I'm pretty sure any "nitrogen" fill is really just compressed air.:)

Peach
05-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Technicaly it's not the same... But as in how it shoots in your gun, both will behave in much the same way with little difference.

So I voted no :P.. Because Scientificly they are not the same. :D

WickeDKlowN
05-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Scientificly(sp?)... No. But it will work exactly the same in your PB Gun.

cphilip
05-21-2003, 09:52 PM
No its not the same...exactly... but for our purposes it works the same.

Nitrogen is pure Nitrogen (or close)

Air is 21% Oxygen and a little CO2 and some rare gasses and the rest is NITROGEN. Its "mostly" nitrogen.

No need for a poll for that... its a fact...

soccer10lover
05-21-2003, 09:53 PM
OK OK...but I am asking if I can use compressed air in a nitro tank??

magman007
05-21-2003, 10:03 PM
for our pourposes were telling you, it is the same thing! yes you can use both vice versa.

cphilip
05-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
... but for our purposes it works the same. :cool:

Lopy-slopy
05-21-2003, 11:51 PM
You can fill a any nitro/compressed air tank with nitro or compressed air. They are the same thing, as menthioned above.

eric
05-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Nobody actually uses nitrogen, its just called that because air is mostly nitrogen. Why would a company sell nitrogen when you can just compress air at a much much lower cost?

jayloo
05-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Eric hit the nail on the head. No-one fills paintabll tanks with pure nitrogen but you could. It would be way toooooo expensive. Depending on the grade of pure nitrogen (99.9% nitrogen)fills could cost $10 or more. Both work the same in this particular application.

If we can use liquid co2 why not use liquid n2?:D :p

cphilip
05-22-2003, 02:42 PM
YOU COULD! assuming you had the proper tanks and regulators and such for them...Would get mighty heavy though. That stuff is mighty cold. And you would have to insure it turned to gas. Would get REAL bulky and expensive then.

I understand Pure Nitrogen works just a little TINY bit better but not enough to justify the cost.

akscubainst
05-22-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm just guessing here, but I assume that the first guys to use compressed gas instead of CO2 probably got a 400 cubic foot Nitrogen cylinder from a gas supplier to fill the PB tanks off of. Just like allot of us do with SCUBA cylinders today.

Compressed nitrogen is used in things that need to be inflated fast like first generation airbags and helicoptor emergency floats. It's also a byproduct of making pure oxygen. Air is sent through a membrane and the N2 is stripped out pure O2 is left.

When it caught on the buzz word was "Nitrogen". Then someone realized that Scuba Divers had been using 3000psi air for ages and that air is 80% N2 they started just using air.

Now of course we have this buzz word and everyone is confused about the difference.

I doubt that anyone can really tell the difference between the performance of Compressed Air vs. Compressed Nitrogen beings how there is almost not one.

What's really important is regardless of which one you use, it's clean and dry. Moisture will cause Corrosion and oil can potentially cause fire or explosions (in air). There's an article on Warpig's site about that.

Phil
05-22-2003, 06:15 PM
You can buy bulk nitrogen in 6000psi tanks from companies that sell compressed gasses such as Holox. I looked it just the other day when I returned my co2 cannister. The only thing holding me back it the $250 fill station.

bornl33t
05-22-2003, 06:17 PM
funny how these agruments between kids end up on AO all the time. hahaaha

air is NOT nitro is NOT nitrous

Potatoboy
05-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Phil hit the nail on the head even though he may not realize it.

Most stores that do not have a compressor fill with Nitrogen rather than air.

The reason behind this is that most gas suppliers do not keep 6000 PSI air tanks handy, but they do with 6000 PSI Nitrogen.

Nitrogen is a cheap gas since it's so abundant, so getting 99.998% Nitrogen tanks from a gas supplier is not unheard of.

Foahr Decatur
05-22-2003, 09:01 PM
And you probly cant make liquid nitro from just compresed air.

sneakyhacker420
05-22-2003, 10:31 PM
the only reason that HPA tanks are called 'nitro' tanks today is because at the time when paintball HPA cylinders were introduced, the only compressed gas that could reach 3000psi or higher was nitrogen at the time, thus, giving HPA tanks the nickname of nitro tanks

now, we have high-pressure compressors that can fill upwards of 7500psi, enabling the use of compressed air, which contains 79% nitrogen anyways

the terms nitrogen and compressed air are completely interchangable in the paintball world, but instead of referring to one or another, you can just refer to HPA (high-pressure air)

now to end the story, any HPA tank can be filled with either pure nitrogren or compressed air, as i said before, the terms are completely interchangable with eachother for paintball purposes

lol, looks like cphillip had a PW streak :rolleyes: *chuckle*

BlackVCG
05-22-2003, 10:53 PM
You get more shots per fill with Compressed Air. The apparent molecular weight of air is higher than the molecular weight of Nitrogen.

cphilip
05-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Black makes a good point. Its slightly less dense than Air.

Density - Nitrogen (gas)= 0.96737 Air = 1.00. Not very much but a tiny bit huh?

Also might be a bit safer in some kind of tight room with no air flow as Nitrogen is an Asphixiant Gas (if you can ahieve complete purge of Air in the room). Much like CO2 would be. Difficult but can be done in rare situations.

But it tends to be a tiny bit cleaner after the extraction process than Air does as it forces out contaminiants to extract it even better than filtration does when compressing air.

billmi
05-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Sneaky - not exactly, because SCUBA tanks were available running 3,000 psi compressed air then, divers don't breath pure nitrogen.

The bottom line is that since air is mostly nitrogen, compressed air and nitrogen can be used interchangeably in HPA tanks for paintball. Their expansion charactaristics are so similar that they operate the same in the gun. 6,000 psi air is available from a lot of gas shops, often at a lower price than nitrogen.

What I don't get is why this is a poll. The question is asking something that is a matter of scientific fact, not public opinion.

Heck, if science were democratized John Edward really would be able to talk to the dead!

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills