PDA

View Full Version : Attaching stuff to aluminum

ShooterJM
05-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah, that's a good thread title. Anyway.

I'm trying to attach some things to aluminum. Aluminum can't really be modified and neither can the other material. It has to be secure, but it really can't involve much heat. I'm thinking a nice two part epoxy will be my best bet at this point, any other options?

Mer
05-22-2003, 09:16 AM
J B Weld, available at almost all hardware stores is some of the best high strength adhesive around. You can drill it, sand it, tap it and any other machining operation out there.

If you want to email me with more details I can help more.

Eric

ShooterJM
05-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Well this is one of the few times in my life I really care how it looks. I found a two part epoxy that dries clear. Any idea how JB Weld dries? I seem to remember a yellowish.

Basically I'm just tired of waiting for a jeweler to mount some gems onto my dragon mag. Figured, screw it, I'll do it myself. It's slightly recessed and the probabilty of it taking a direct hit is pretty low, about the same as taking a shot right up the barrel. I just want it to be as strong as it can be. Thanks for your help man.

Mer
05-22-2003, 09:25 AM
For gems definitely use an epoxy. Don't get the quick drying stuff, get some 20 minute epoxy, it'll be stronger. Clean both surfaces with denatured alcohol and a q-tip first.

Post some pictures after you're done.

Eric

ShooterJM
05-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Yeah, hopefully I'll have a chance to take some tomorrow. I also scored the aluminum a bit so theoretically the epoxy will have a little more to grip on the just smooth aluminum. Thanks man!