PDA

View Full Version : HALO-B Rip-Drive Available

Dayspring
05-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Odyssey Paintball Products has their Rip-Drive upgrade available now. It requires being sent in, and the cost is around $30.00 for the upgrade.

While you're there, have them upgrade you to the TE software.

http://www.odysseypaintball.com/ripdrive.html

Happy Loading!

cphilip
05-23-2003, 12:19 PM
You know I saw that on the site the other day and completely forgot to get pricing on what a new halo with it on there might be. And if it would be any cheaper if you had it done when it was new. I wonder how many people might be interested in spending that kind of money for one right out of the box though. Them things is pretty darn high as it is. I did not see an order option for a Halo B with the drive on it so until I know differently I will have to assume we are talking an upcharge of 30 bucks on top of the MSRP of $150. Yeouch!!!! Of course street price would be less but it would still be like 160 bucks... I would guess...

Dayspring
05-23-2003, 12:22 PM
I'd say that your math is correct.

And yes, $150 for a loader is high. I'm just pissed cuz I just got my Halo BACK from them. Had I known that it would be available this soon, I'd have had them install it. (Although I think that you need to cut the shells to install it so you're stuck with your current shells with the Rip Drive unless you cut any new set you get.)

Load SM5
05-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Y'know I ws thinking about this just yesterday. Fab timing since my HALO just crapped out at the Megameet. I think I'll be sending it in now.

rehme
05-23-2003, 01:19 PM
yeah i am going to be send in my halo preatty soon to get it

one of my pball friends got his for 20 bux extra he had a burned out motor.

i like it, it is preatty kool to mess around with

pip_999
05-23-2003, 01:36 PM
i think that this could be interesting, i know that the last tourney that i was in, my halo screwed up and i had to sit behind the bunker the whole game

luckily the team i was playing scuked, so they didnt move up the field, but had it have been a top team i would have been done for

seems worth it, but do u think that there would be a little resistance for tuirning it or not? maybe a little bit of a tough time turning it, also that could all cruded up and not turn, seems like it needs improvemtns to me

also does that thing keep on spinning around externally when your halo is working?!?! that would be annopying

Load SM5
05-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Yea it spins the whiole time the hopper does but in the middle of a game I think I'd have other stuff keeping my attention.

billmi
05-23-2003, 01:44 PM
I used mine for the first time last weekend.

Yes, there is some resistance when you turn it, but it's not difficult at all to turn.

I can't imagine it getting so "crudded" up that there was a jam, there's flat surface all around it, so there's nothing for something to really jam it against. I imagine you could somehow wedge a twig between the wheel and loader, but it would be pretty difficult to do.

Yes, it does spin while it's going, but that doesn't bother me (nor did I even notice it.) If you've got any sort of phobia of rotating gears or knobs, it might be a problem though.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Dayspring
05-23-2003, 01:46 PM
So singing "The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round" might be a bad idea around these people? ;)

Originally posted by billmi
If you've got any sort of phobia of rotating gears or knobs, it might be a problem though.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Hexis
05-23-2003, 01:48 PM
I got my upgrade back from them last week. I asked about RipDrive pricing in the payment info and they put on on there. I'm not at all impressed with it for $30.

Russ
05-23-2003, 02:00 PM
What follows is my biased opinion...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the HALO works correctly, (or just works, period!) there should never be a need for the Rip-Drive...Maybe the Odyssey crew should invest in higher quality motors, instead of putting the extra cash into another plastic injection mold...

This comes from a guy that had(s) 2 motors crap out... :(

JAM
05-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Russ
What follows is my biased opinion...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the HALO works correctly, (or just works, period!) there should never be a need for the Rip-Drive...Maybe the Odyssey crew should invest in higher quality motors, instead of putting the extra cash into another plastic injection mold...

This comes from a guy that had(s) 2 motors crap out... :(

That's true to a point, but it's nice to be able the back out any leftover balls at the end of play.

Load SM5
05-23-2003, 04:08 PM
It's also good for backing the tension off the stack between games, say at...oh...Mardi Gras Open when the incredible amounts of rain and the moisture mixed with a stack of paintballs under tension for 4-6 hours while waiting for your next game results in a few warped balls and some breaking. *pant pant*

Would've been nice, but who's bitter?;)

manike
05-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Russ, It was designed for if/when the batteries die. This way you can run your batteries down without being totally screwed if the batteries run out in a game.

Yamz
05-23-2003, 07:36 PM
i think it was made not to correct problems with the hopper but with the user i forgot to change my batteries once and was sticking my hand in and spinning the impeller by hand that sucked and i would be getting the rip drive if i was not in japan

Catch22
05-23-2003, 11:36 PM
This just gave me an awesome idea. Think about the possibility of an air powered motor on a hopper. You know those guns like the shocker and angel that have "air assist" feeding.

well if you got that little air assist output pressure to be strong enough, you could do a little air powered rip drive for a halo.

Every time you fired you would be putting the lost pressure from the expended balls back into the hopper via. air rip drive.

A couple of problems.

1.) You would need to make a little wheel with a bucnh of chambers to harness the air assist.

2.) Only works with air assist OR just tap a hole into blowback guns. (LOL)

3.) you would have to make the air assist pressure high or low enough for the right amount of tension on the ball stack.

It's a good idea and would work but I definetly don't expect to see it. Ever. It'll take about as much engineering as it took to create internal combustion engines.

.bolink
05-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Three words: A-5 Cyclone Feed

Catch22
05-24-2003, 04:18 PM
I know but i am talking about a universal hopper. I fogot about that. You could probably use that design for the motor replacement though.

BobTheCow
05-24-2003, 09:24 PM
aaaahhhh noooo... I remember asking about this on AO a couple weeks ago, and people said it would probably be a while before they were available, so I JUST SENT IN MY HALO A TO GET UPGRADED!!!! hmph... now I hafta decide whether to wait another week before using the halo or wait a while for the RipDrive... gee, tough choice :rolleyes:

But anyway, congrats yet again to Odyssey for producing such a fine product, and for coming out with ways to improve on it even more!!!!

**edit** actually, I haven't physically gotten the HALO back yet... do you think it would be possible for me to call or e-mail Odyssey, and work something out if they haven't shipped it back yet?

TheJester
05-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by .bolink
Three words: A-5 Cyclone Feed

is A-5 a word?

billmi
05-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Some more of my ramblings on the topic:

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/loaders/halo_b/ripdrive.shtml

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills