PDA

View Full Version : Sound card problem

gimp
05-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Ok, here is the problem. I'm listening to music, or watching video, and the sound jumps ahead. It doesn't sound like it's skipping, it just jumps ahead in the song, or video a couple seconds. It's getting pretty annoying. I'm pretty sure I have the most up to date drivers, and audio codecs and such. I'm gonna check up on that again tomorrow. I have my ideas as to what could be causing it, but I'll look here for input. Here are some specs on the system.

It's an IBM netfinity 5000, P2 400 (I'm gonna be getting a second processor for it later this week hopefully), 320 megs of ram, SCSI drives, a radeon 7500 graphics card (just put that in today. What a pain. I had to upgrade the flash on the bios or something like that), and the sound card is a creative, sound blaster 16 pci.

I dont do much on the computer. I use it to listen to music, and play movies I download. Thats it. I'm pretty sure that the bottleneck on the computer is the cpu. That should be helped when I put another cpu in it. I'm wondering if there's some irq conflict or something.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this will be greatly appreciated.

MarkM
05-27-2003, 11:01 AM
The specs you list for your pc are a little to say the least...unique.....320 meg of ram?? whatever what I divide that it doesn't work out but whatever...the scsi drives can cause issues if your scsi controller ain't up to it....the graphics card you have installed has more power than the cpu and the sound card is ancient....what you running windows 3.1...start from scratch and reinstall everything

gimp
05-27-2003, 03:51 PM
320 = 128 + 128 + 64. I think thats what it's got. I'm thinking it's something with the scsi drives. I get all sorts of old servers and computer parts to fart around with for free from where I work. I usually just use this computer as a file server, and it works fine for that. I picked up the sound card for 15 bucks, just so I could listen to music without streaming over the network. My buddy gave me the graphics card cause he got a new one. I figured I'd slap it in there cause it has tv-out, so I can watch movies on the tv now. I'm running windows 2000 advanced server on it. It's actually pretty quick because there's nothing on it except music. For what it does, it runs faster than my laptop, which is a P3 900. Starting from scratch and reinstalling everything is a last resort. It shouldn't come to that.

MarkM
05-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Ok I understand the maths now ;) I still think you should start again but try dumping the scsi in favour of normal IDE and the sound card you got raped for @ $15, that would get you a SB1024 here and we get raped all the time on PC parts ;)