PDA

View Full Version : Foam

BJL31Paintball
05-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Hey do you think they would let me use a hopper covered in foam at a rec game? What about at a tournament?

Mossman
05-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Rec, who cares...is it that big of a deal to get out? Tourney - NO.

Mav D MagMan
05-30-2003, 10:12 PM
One question- Why would you want to cover your hopper in foam? Just curious!

To answer your questions:

Rec. Games- If it constitutes a safety hazard I'm sure they wouldn't let you use it, however most Rec. Games aren't too stringent on your gear as long as it's chronoed and not dangerous.

Tournaments- All have their own rules regarding hopper covers. For example, Pan Am Rules prohibit Hopper covers of any kind (and some tournaments don't even allow stickers that may mask a hit!)

Mav

deathstalker
05-30-2003, 10:18 PM
I play nothing but rec and believe me, I wouldn't let you on the field with it and the refs aren't stupid either. Next thing you now, you're going to want to wear 4 pairs of paints, 5 shirts, a fleece, and bubble wrap on your head.

Hey, I'm all for having fun and a good time, but that includes playing fair. There's a good reason hoppers don't come with some of type of padding right from the factory. It's an unfair advantage that applies both in rec and tournament play.

Mrmacdude
05-30-2003, 10:20 PM
im going to wrap myself, and gun in bubble wrap on my next outing.

Mav D MagMan
05-30-2003, 10:20 PM
LOL! Man I was thinking like styrofoam, I didn't even think like soft foam.

It's definitely an unfair advantage though!

Mav

P.S. Bubble wrap on your head... lOL!

Wickster
05-31-2003, 12:47 PM
I always use a thin neoprene hopper cover. The companies make them, people must use them or they wouldn't make them anymore.

I have never been told in rec games that I couldn't use it. It keeps the revy shell from breaking and from busting balls in the hopper when it gets hit. Does it occasionally make a ball bounce when hit? Sometimes.:eek:

Shouldn't we try to have an advantage when we play???

If not, then why don't we all use the same guns, as in old splatmasters? Wear the same clothes?

Of course I agree that there are limits in what should be allowed, but a hopper cover is less of an advantage than say an x-mag is to most other guns.

just my $.02

shartley
05-31-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Wickster
I always use a thin neoprene hopper cover. The companies make them, people must use them or they wouldn't make them anymore.

I have never been told in rec games that I couldn't use it. It keeps the revy shell from breaking and from busting balls in the hopper when it gets hit. Does it occasionally make a ball bounce when hit? Sometimes.:eek:

Shouldn't we try to have an advantage when we play???

If not, then why don't we all use the same guns, as in old splatmasters? Wear the same clothes?

Of course I agree that there are limits in what should be allowed, but a hopper cover is less of an advantage than say an x-mag is to most other guns.

just my $.02
Advantage, yes. And that would come with skill, and the reliability and quality of your equipment…. not with your ability to prevent balls from breaking on you.

Closhing for the most part is style driven and personal choice… not because Dye Jerseys are better than JT Jerseys for preventing ball breaks (example). I have seen folks discuss clothing’s ability to prevent ball breaks but in all honesty, on the field I see folks wearing clothing for much different reasons. And if you HAVE to wear extra padded clothing, and anything else designed to prevent balls from breaking… you need to seriously work on your game. LOL That is like putting in “God Codes” when playing video games. ;) You are using special protection to make up for your lack of game. :D

And there is a difference between a hopper cover designed to camouflage the hopper, or protect it from breaking, and a hopper cover/device aimed specifically to stop paintballs from breaking on it. And that is what was the question posed in this thread.. not just neoprene hopper covers (which one of my hoppers has too, and has still had balls break on it).

NJPaint
05-31-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't get it... I have the easiest solution... get a freakin warp like me :D

e mag
05-31-2003, 06:31 PM
what about neoprene covers on n2 tanks? it could make some shots bounce but they also protect the tank.

spydervenom
05-31-2003, 08:37 PM
then, whats the difference between putting something over your hopper that may prevent a ball break every once in a while and a rico...the hopper that was invented in part to decrease the amount of hopper shots.

Mav D MagMan
06-02-2003, 05:53 PM
What's the difference between buying a low profile mask and wrapping your head in bubble wrap?

It's not that your equipment is too good at what it does, but that the addition of the padding etc. offers too much of an unfair advantage (reason full auto and runaway are illegal in tournaments).

Mav