PDA

View Full Version : Buying in the classifieds

kopfjaeger
06-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Anybody got any ideas about buying markers in the classifieds section without getting burned. I am not sure if to use credit card, check, or money order. What is a safe way to do this transaction?

ChucktheMAGician
06-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I prefer paypal but I have used money orders before. Paypal is easier and quicker for me but it does cost the seller to use the service so some don't. I'm pretty sure paypal will help you if someone tries to screw you, I've never been shafted so I'm not sure. Money orders can be traced to see if they were cashed so there's a little evidence there, but again I've only had good deals. Positive Feedback may be the reason for that tho. If someone hasn't accrued any feedback yet I usually take things slow and send several emails and/or chat w/ them to make sure they are legit. Once again I haven't been burned any, and I'd like to keep it that way. Third party services are something you can check into if you are still a little reluctant. Good luck:cool:

pbguy888
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Also what I do is ask for feedback , and pictures of what your looking to buy. Goodluck.

WickeDKlowN
06-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Do a search in the Buyer/Trader Feedback forum for there name. If there isn't anything, ask them for feedback/refrences, they maye have some on PBN or something.

For payment, I perfer PayPal. If they take that, use it. Fast, easy, safe. If they don't, use a Money Order. I don't like checks due to the fact that you have to wait for them to clear.

Hope This Helps,
Fingers_the_Klown (hehe)

Edit: oh yea... Pictures are good.

Mossman
06-01-2003, 11:35 PM
Use me as a 3rd party :)

Lopy-slopy
06-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Get a CREADIBLE 3rd party. If it's just some random guy he could take off with the money and the gun.

NJPaint
06-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Lopy-slopy
Get a CREADIBLE 3rd party. If it's just some random guy he could take off with the money and the gun.

Mossman is credible...

-=Squid=-
06-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Also, if you are buying something over $150 or so, I would recomend swapping phone numbers and giving he/she a phone call before sending anything out. Its always worked for me.

ignatz
06-02-2003, 12:03 PM
I've been burned before. I paid with a credit card via PayPal. I filed a dispute with PayPal and won but didn't recover any funds. They don't guarantee recovery of funds. Here's what I do now to protect myself:

1. Feedback. Feedback. Feedback. If someone has a lot of good feedback here and posts regularly they have an investment in their reputation that makes them, IMHO, more reliable.

2. Request name, address and phone number (even if I am paying with PayPal). A person really trying to sell something won't have a problem with this. If they do, walk.

3. Before sending any money, call the seller, spend some time talking to them. Use this time to decide if you feel comfortable about the person. Ask questions make sure you understand exactly what will be arriving. If you don't feel good about sending the money after speaking to the seller, walk.

4. If you're gonna use a credit card, choose one with some type of purchase protection. Most credit card compaines have an agreement with PayPal that says basically you can't challenge any payment made. Some credit cards have a buyer's protection or a purchase protection plan that states they will replace/repair purchases made with the card. If you're not sure, call them and ask.

5. If you don't know much about the marker you are purchasing, use a 3rd party. I prefer to use a shop as opposed to an individual. My preference is Palmer's Pursuit Pro Shop.

6. Make sure you ask for tracking information. If you pay with PayPal and don't receive your item they will request this info from the seller.

7. Make sure the seller is a VERIFIED PayPal user. Here is a quote from the PayPal site:

Seller Reputation Number:

What is the Seller Reputation Number?
The Seller Reputation Number is the number of unique Verified PayPal members who have paid a seller. Together with the account creation date and Verification status, the Seller Reputation Number helps buyers evaluate a seller whom they do not know.

Where is it shown?
When a buyer is making a payment, a link to the Member Information Box is provided on the Send Money Confirmation page. This Box gives buyers information about the member they are paying including his account creation date, account type, and account status. The Seller Reputation Number is included in this Information. It is also shown next to the Shop Name in PayPal Shops listings, e.g. "PayPal Shop" (523). Premier and Business members have the option to cap the number when it reaches 1000 (Displayed as 1000+).

Basically, this number gives you an idea of the number of people who have paid this seller without complaint. This number may be low but make sure its not 0 and that the user has been registered with PayPal for a good amount of time.

8. Check the Buyer/Seller feedback section. There is good information there that you should read before buying.

All of that said, its not as shady as you might think. I've done several deals from this site. It didn't help that my first attempt ended up in the loss of $160, but... Like anything else in life, if the deal is too good to be true....

At any rate, I hope this helps.

xadamx
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
check the feedback forum and talk to the person. it should be fairly easy to tell if they are legit. getting the shaft is fairly rare around here. most of the people here are fellow paintballers that arent trying to rip off other paintballers. 3rd parties are always safe, mossman IS a credible thrid party as is danism but i heard he quit.

Recon by Fire
06-02-2003, 04:39 PM
PayPal also offers a buyer protection plan, but you have to pay extra for it.

I recently purchased my Xmag from the classified forums here and had a good transaction (I used PayPal). I would like to think that the Mag users here are fine upstanding louts :)

Xyxyll
06-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Yeah... Third Parties usually cost a bit more, but they will definitely make sure that you do not get ripped off. I am lucky that I have not been ripped off before, but I am always careful about who I deal with.

I am also offering 3rd party dealing through my paintball business, X-Customs. It's all on the site if anybody is ever interested... http://www.xcustoms.tk