PDA

View Full Version : What is the ULTIMATE Tinkerer's gun?

Koosh
06-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Just wondering... Ever since I've gotten my mags a part of me hasn't been expressed. The mags don't have enough parts! I'm running out of excuses to take my gun apart, I need a gun that isn't as reliable! Last summer I built a race'd autococker, and I wanted to do it again this summer, but don't think I'll have the money...

So what would be the best bang-for-your-buck tinker marker?

Crimson_Turkey
06-02-2003, 01:59 AM
After sticking a hall effect sensor with a m98 electro kit on my a-5 as well as countless other mods I'd have to say the Tippmann. You can do all kinds of smart and stupid stuff to it and it will keep working. Plus I dont see many a-5's.

nerobro
06-02-2003, 03:04 PM
At the moment I'd vote for either the impulse or exalibur being the ultimate tinkering guns.

The inpulse is a "broken" gun from the factory and needs a lot of work to be a great gun. Not to say they CAN'T be great with some work ;-)

The exaclibur get's the vote because it's got two rams. This is for the guy who wants to mess with software, go with interesting bolt and hammer timing, different valve dwells, ther'es room to mount eyes... Basicly if you want to tweak software and elecronics, thats the gun to use.

ReTro Boy
06-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Impulse...

spunkjunky56
06-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Wha What? The Impulse is a good gun from the factory. They didn't used to be though. Not all the bells and whistles, but what do you expect from a $400 electro? All you really need to change is the bolt, pin, ram, and hammer (approx $100) and that gun rips pretty good. I just set up a brand new Impulse for a kid and it was WAY better than mine was when I first bought it. The SN on mine is #8353, and the SN on this one was somewhere around #18000

chizle97
06-05-2003, 08:55 PM
I think the rainmaker, cause you can do just about anything to those. ive even seen people that have run hoses from the exaust valve into the hopper to create a jerry rigged Air assist. Plus they can be jerry rigged to hell and back. I love that word grouping "jerry rigged"

WickeDKlowN
06-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by chizle97
I think the rainmaker, cause you can do just about anything to those. ive even seen people that have run hoses from the exaust valve into the hopper to create a jerry rigged Air assist. Plus they can be jerry rigged to hell and back. I love that word grouping "jerry rigged"

Just because my name is Jerry and I like to ghetto rig things dosn't mean everyone has to say that now... :rolleyes: ;):D

I'm working on a cocker right now(well, if i don't trade it for a BKO that is). So I'll go with cocker, theres soo many things to do with them. But everyone has one...

Imp's can be made good, cause stock they just plain suck usually.

RainMakers are cool and cheap too. I just might have to get one :)

Doc Nickel
06-06-2003, 04:39 AM
Absolutely no question, the Autococker is the ultimate "tinkerer's" gun.

And yes, that includes being the best "bang for the buck" too- why? Because there's a million used parts out there. Somebody with a little determination and patience (and a lot of local 'Cocker users) can put together a complete gun for dirt cheap.

I've seen complete, assembled front blocks, fresh off a near-new gun, sell for $30. Pick up somebody's used rightfeed body for $50, an old bolt, a valve, you know the drill. Several Tinker's Guild regulars have put together a gun for under $100.

As for all-around tinkering, there's no question, the 'Cocker is King. Look at the facts- there's eight different styles of swing trigger, five electro conversions, thirty or forty bolts, two dozen valves, ten different rams, nine different LPRs, fancy milled blocks, 15° ASAs, ten or twelve different slide-trigger frames, fifty or sixty brands and styles of barrel, the list is endless.

Also, the same basic body can- and has been- a direct-feed pump, a stock-class pump, a pneumatic-assist pump (The "Super Sniper") a mechanical semiauto, an electronic semiauto, a mechanical "reactive trigger", even an electronic open bolt.

It's the one "Harley Davidson" of the paintball world: Meaning it's the only marker where you can build a complete gun from scratch, and never once have to buy a factory part.

Yes, there's other markers that you can do a lot of things to, but the 'Cocker is the only one you can do everything to. :D

Doc.

supaflypaintballer
06-06-2003, 09:38 PM
I'll have to go with DOC I love cockers. hands down the are te best guns around!!!!

TreeFarm
06-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Cocker probably be good, but I am biased and am going to have to say VM :D

ShinyGuy
06-07-2003, 03:23 PM
I think the 'cocker fails to qualify because it's too expensive to destroy completely (~$300 for a new basic cocker) and since bolt-ons exist to do just about anything. My vote would be for the good old PGP. Cheap, simple, brass (easy to machine and easy to braze).

direct-feed pump -- thats what mine is right now
a stock-class pump -- they come that way
a pneumatic-assist pump -- haven't seen one yet but it doesn't sound too hard
a mechanical semiauto -- everybody and their brother makes these
an electronic semiauto -- seen that too
a mechanical "reactive trigger" -- haven't see this yet but it sounds like a good project.
even an electronic open bolt. -- seen 1 or 2 fo these floating around.

I've seen far more creative tinkerish things done with PGPs than were ever going to see on any gun costing over $200.

Lopy-slopy
06-10-2003, 08:24 PM
If your worried about money, just buy a cheap BE gun and try some cool things. Get a warp and try to do a bottom feeing mod,(Like actualy feed up through the bottom of the marker), or try and make a Blade semi, the great part about them is if you totaly screw them up you can just go and buy a new one cuz their so cheap.

Ghilliesuit
06-20-2003, 11:26 AM
I think the RAinMaker is a good tinkers gun. It has not only many after market products but many "home made" mods for it aswell. If you like electonics than get a diff board and mess with the dwell and what not. If you like mechanics make it a autococker (not hard). Make it a pump, people have started doing that with RainMakers lately. there is a bunch of stuff you can do to it. But go with what you think is cool.