PDA

View Full Version : HALO battery options?

BobTheCow
06-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Well I just got my upgraded HALO back from Odyssey (good people, they are) and after dropping in 6 AA batteries and getting a workout from lifting the whole setup off the table, I started thinking about alternative battery options. I remember reading stuff on AO before about rechargable batteries or even a hook-up to the E-mag battery pack (when I finally GET that e-mag :rolleyes: )... are these things even out there, and if so, are they worth it?

Hexis
06-02-2003, 02:34 PM
I have one of Sniper's NiMh (IIRC) rechargable battery pack and I love it. It's tiny and super light.

I do plan to examine powering the Halo off the EMag battery at some point. Somone has descriptions of a mod where they powered a Halo and Warp off the EMag battery, and used the Halo's battery compartment to hold the regulators.

I figure I'll end up with something similar, but less to it, because I'm warp-less. I'll still be glad to have the Halo Pack around for those times when I'm going sans emag.

BobTheCow
06-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Hexis
I have one of Sniper's NiMh (IIRC) rechargable battery pack and I love it. It's tiny and super light.
How much did it cost, and how would I go about getting one? How does it compare to just 6 plain old AA batteries? I mean, I know you said it was uber-light, but is the performance the same? Does it last as long (as normal AAs)?

sniper1rfa
06-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Hexis: thanks man, makes my day to hear that. :)

BobTheCow: check the link in my sig. Hexis got a 9.6V 720mAh, halo pack, IIRC.

It should last about half as long as regular alkalines, but its rechargeable... :)

BobTheCow
06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Oh wow... that thread has, like, everything I could ever want to know about anything in life...
DEAR GOD I'VE FINALLY FOUND IT!! THE MEANING OF LIFE!! Thank you sniper, I'll definitely think about that stuff!!

<i>just in case:</i>
not to be competition to sniper, but are there any other options that anybody knows of?

Hexis
06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
I have not found any, and I can honestly say you will be happy with his product.

BobTheCow
06-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Ah jeez, that stuff looks awesome... and I just came upon $100 from my grandparents, only $40 of which I had already decided what to spend on!! :eek:

Right now I'm thinkin either 9.6v or 10.8v, and either 370 mAh or 720 mAh... aargh but that's so much money for somebody like me with no steady income!! So tempting, so tempting...

Hexis
06-02-2003, 03:40 PM
I went for the highest capacity, at the closest voltage to stock. I wanted ligher and the most life poissible, with the least ammount of stress on the stock electronics. I may build a regulator just to make sure they electronics never get more than 9v.

Kevmag
06-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Evil Bob powers his Warp and Halo from his E-Mag battery. From the pictures he posted, it looks like a very clean setup. I'd do a search and specifically look for his post.

BobTheCow
06-02-2003, 04:26 PM
*ding* Oh yeah, SEARCH!! *slaps self*

sniper1rfa
06-02-2003, 04:33 PM
kevmag, ya fool! losin me my damned customers... ;)

honestly, i forgot about that one meself. very nice, it is.

BobTheCow
06-02-2003, 09:16 PM
lol nah don't worry sniper, your drop-in approach is about 8 million times more appealing to me right now than any electrical type work I would hafta do myself... *shivers*
And the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the 720 mAh if I do this... and although I'm kind of the Tim Taylor, "more power" kind of guy, I'd probably go with the 9.6v, for weight + slight price reason.
Aah sorry if this sounded random and pointless, just kind of thinking out loud, maybe this'll help somebody else someday.