PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Diet followers ... and receipe tips, or favorites you want to share.

lopxtc
06-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Okay decided that I need to get back down to 175-185 ... so I need to lose about 30 pounds. After looking at what I eat over a one month period I realized that I take in well over %200 carbs a day. I dont eat allot, only three meals and those are usually small meals. I tend to make allot of pasta and rice dishes, and drink way to much Mountain Dew.

So I figured I would check out the Atkins diet as a way of getting back down in my weight ...

Anyone here on this diet plan and have any suggestions/tips or receipes for favorite meals that you want to share.

Thanks,

Aaron

darklord
06-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Not trying to knock the diet, but I would think it would increase your risk for heart problems, with all those meats and fatty foods... how old are you, man? Cutting back on your food intake (portions wise) and simple exercise (start by walking a mile-2 miles a day) will help you lose weight. Lose the Mountain Dew, too. Switch to water. If you can't make that drastic of a change, just limit yourself to a glass of MD per day, then decrease from there. Seriously, continuous exercise and eating right+less is the key to success.

lopxtc
06-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Actually there have been several studies that have confirmed no added health risks, that was always the mantra of the anti-atkins crowd but has been recently shown not to be true.

Also you dont need to eat red meat ... I myself prefer fish and chicken to red meat. On average I eat red meat usually only one day out of a week; the rest are fish, chicken (baked, not fried), or veggies (typically grilled or steamed). Which was why for the longest time I couldnt figure out why I gaining weight, in the six years after I left the Marines I went from 185 to 215 ... way too heavy for my tastes ... and my meals didnt change. I took in a ton of carbs a day in the Marines, but would always expend them without trouble. I continue to take in the carbs, but dont have the same level of activity that I did before hand.

Mind you also I am not doing this a quick solution weight lose program, at the moment its one of the few that actually focuses on cutting out carbs.

Aaron

Originally posted by darklord
Not trying to knock the diet, but I would think it would increase your risk for heart problems, with all those meats and fatty foods...

irbodden
06-02-2003, 03:54 PM
If you plan on just loosing weight, Atkins works and is *healthy*.

However, on the this diet, your muscles will be the first to go. I am not sure if this concerns you or not...

If it does, cut calories, but maintain an equal balance of carbs, protein and fat. Alot of the carbs you were getting were from Mountain Dew, etc. it sounds like which are pretty useless but your body does need carbs...

Collegeboy
06-02-2003, 04:13 PM
The problem I have with the Atkins diet is it promotes an unhealthy eating habit. It doesn't create a healthy eating habit. Once you go off the diet, you will have to find another sort of diet to stay the weight you are at. I was on the Atkins diet for 3 months, lost about 40 pounds, then got off of it and it came right back (and I didn't start pigging out), I picked my carb count up a little, and that is all ti took.

Last summer I create my own diet on the inspection of my doctor. It is basically falls on the idea that I need to burn my calories then I eat. My diet is I eat at 1 and 7, I will eat no more then 1000 calories a day, no more then 100 of which can be from fat. No cheese, not alot of meat, no milk, for all of those are high in calories. I got on this last summer, and lost 60 pounds in a month and a half, I got off of it while I was at college, and didn't gain a single pound back. In fact I lost about 10. Now I am back on it, and am losing more. I run about a mile and a half a day and play basketball all the time. (now that my knee is good enough, i have started this back up)

IMO, I would do as irbodden said, count your calories, and create a healthy eating plan that you can follow even when you loose enough weight.

Star_Base_CGI
06-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by darklord
Not trying to knock the diet, but I would think it would increase your risk for heart problems, with all those meats and fatty foods... how old are you, man? Cutting back on your food intake (portions wise) and simple exercise (start by walking a mile-2 miles a day) will help you lose weight. Lose the Mountain Dew, too. Switch to water. If you can't make that drastic of a change, just limit yourself to a glass of MD per day, then decrease from there. Seriously, continuous exercise and eating right+less is the key to success.

Dr Adkins died this year of a heart attack.

I recommend everything Darklord said.

I have been doing all these things and lost 41 pounds over the period of a year.

I was having trouble with the caffine. Swith to decafinated sodas and than it will be easier to switch to water. Keep cold water in the fridge and you will be able to drink 4 - 8 glasses a day easy.

Subsitute foods, fruit or dried fruit for candy. Popcorn and rice cakes for chips. Have nuts for a snack.

Make little changes until they add up.

Jack_Dubious
06-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star_Base_CGI

I think you might want to do a little research on that first.

JDub

Kai
06-02-2003, 06:05 PM
The Atkins diet should only be used in extreme cases, where fast weight loss is needed. (someone at high risk of heart attack, etc...) Because you are starving your body of carb's, the body has to resort to burning its secondary energy source: Fat. This is why you lose weight. Your body is burning up all that stored fat. This is fine, for SHORT periods of time. Eventually, as the fat reserves drop, your body is forced to find alternative means of energy. These alternative means cause amonia build ups, which are very unhealthy. Amonia = poisonous.

Long story short: If at all possible, avoid Atkins. If you DO decide to go on it, don't do it for extended periods of time.

banzaimf
06-02-2003, 06:10 PM
died of a heart attack?

The type caused when you take a header onto an ice encrusted sidewalk?

Anyways, Fat UNIX Geeks Unite! We shall start FUGU. At Fugu we will recommend little things like trying splenda instead of sugar. Diet sodas, Diet Dr. Pepper tastes less like butt than most. Some recommend even taking a touch of the normal soda and mixing it with the diet sodas. 1/10th works well enough with Dr. Pepper (which I used to drink around 72 to 100 ounces of a day, i.e. 6 or more cans). Add some exercise, even if it's parking the car out in BFE in the parking lot. If stuck at work, use the farthest vending machine away from you if you can't help it. Acknowledge that you may need to cheat. just work on keeping it to a minimum. Add in some spice. Maybe a little Habenero jelly to liven up your food. Some people I know have started using Carb Blockers as well. I don't know, I haven't tried them.

irbodden
06-02-2003, 06:18 PM
Are you guys kidding me?

First thing to do is get rid of ALL sodas.

Drink 16+ glasses of water a day.

Eat 6 small meals a day.

etc.

If you actually want to change your lifestyle, switching to Diet Pepsi isn't going to help

banzaimf
06-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Congrats, that works for you. Most people will have success through a variety of weight loss plans. and oddly, some of the most popular programs do include a lowering of carb count as part of the plan. If somone has the will power to change their way of eating from 1 to 2 large meals a day with a ton of soda (Me for instance) to eating 6 small meals and drinking nothing but water. Then go for it. If you find that you are unable or even unwilling to do that. Take steps to the better lifestyle.

dmonahan
06-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Aaron,

Well I know your on older side of life like me.(30+) And I had the same problem. Things tend to slow down but your intake remains the same. You need to cut back on the carbs and up your cardio. I went from 190lbs back down to 170.

There are no miracle diets. I do at least 45 min of cardio 3 times a week and just watch what I eat. When I cut my carb intake in half the weight just dropped off.

Yes I know it suck to get old but thereis no greater pleasure than bunkering a snot nosed 16 year old.

Take care

Darren

irbodden
06-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by banzaimf
Congrats, that works for you. Most people will have success through a variety of weight loss plans. and oddly, some of the most popular programs do include a lowering of carb count as part of the plan. If somone has the will power to change their way of eating from 1 to 2 large meals a day with a ton of soda (Me for instance) to eating 6 small meals and drinking nothing but water. Then go for it. If you find that you are unable or even unwilling to do that. Take steps to the better lifestyle.

Bottemline:

Geting in shape takes commitement. If you are going to halfass it (... espically from the start) don't expect to make any large long terms changes.

You ever see those "Fat Reduced" cookies in the Super Market? Ever see who is buying them? Fat middle-aged women who use the "well if I am going to eat cookies, atleast they are better for me.." attitude. In the long term, you are just wasting your time as you aren't going to get there.

And you're right, what works for me might not work for you. But commitement is needed for ANY program.

ZAust
06-02-2003, 06:34 PM
actally ive had a ton of success with the twinkies and coke diet!!! ive gained 20 pounds in 2 weeks!

no, in all seriousness i dont think the adkins diet is that great of an idea. it can help to lose weight quickly, but once you are off it youll still want to pig out on fatty meats while throwing all those carbs back in as well. my recommendations: try and get a at least little exercise during the day. instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs! when you get home, take your dog for a walk! also, you dont need to cut carbs out completely, just try to avoid foods with high amounts of carbs and fat. (i.e. pizza, fries, etc.) eat plenty of fruits and veggies as well. also drink a lot of water. not only does it make you feel less hungry, it also keeps your internal water-processing system doohickeys going, which will burn more calories as well.

lopxtc
06-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the good advice ... amazing how in the tech world it seems the more your salary goes up, the same goes to weight LOL ...

I am trying it out to see how it works, what blows is the fact that I am a damn good stir-fry, and pasta cook ... I love rice and pasta ... my god is it hard thinking about giving it up LOL ...

Exercise is something I used to do allot (given my past with the Marines), but time is unfortuantely something that I am lacking ... I wake at 5am to get my boys ready for the day, leave for day-care drop off and work at 7am. 8am till 5pm is work, then I dont get home till about 630pm. That gives me from 630pm till 830pm to feed my boys, bath them, and play with them. Unfortunately since the wife works usually till 10-11pm I am left with no real time to get exercise in. Thankfully with summer coming I can get out and walk with them, but other then that.

Aaron

ZAust
06-02-2003, 08:16 PM
just a word of advice if you cant find time to exercise: you should check out stationary bikes. you can get a recumbent (the ones where you sit down) and ride while you watch tv. theyre a great way to burn calories without really noticing it, plus theyre whisper quiet so you dont have to turn the volume up.

CasingBill
06-02-2003, 09:09 PM
The Atkins diet works. As long as you stay on it. I did it about 3 years ago. Lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Took about a year to put it all back on. It does work if you can do it and maintain. Good luck with whatever you do. I used to grill a chicken breast top it with melted swiss and then add bacon. Tasted good. Did that with tuna also. Eggs too. Gee lots of bacon is good.:D

Strider
06-02-2003, 10:19 PM
The primary problem with the Atkins diet is people who don't read the book!

If you follow the plan, you *never* leave the diet. Same with weight watchers, or umpteen other plans out there, if you revert, you will gain your weight back!

I am on the Atkins plan. Have been for a year and a half. I lost 40lbs (Ya! Back player to Front Player! :D) and haven't gained any back.

Most people look at the first two weeks, and judge the plan by it. The first two weeks are the most extream portion of the plan. After that you slowly reintroduce carbs back into your diet untill you reach a point which can be very easily described as normal intake.

After your done loosing the weight, you obey the theory of the plan. Cut out your pastas, breads, starches and shugars as much as possible. Frankly, I have toast and Ice Cream almost daily. :)

Yes, follow select bad parts of the plan, and you could be in for health problems. But thats possible on many plans. Alot of people point to Cholesterol as a point of problem. Studies (and what Dr Atkins has been saying since the 70's) have prooven that the plan helps Cholestorol problems.

The key point I guess I'm making, is know what your getting into before you go into it.

Man, too longg of a post. :)

Strider
06-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Back to what the threads about. :)
So I figured I would check out the Atkins diet as a way of getting back down in my weight

Anyone here on this diet plan and have any suggestions/tips or receipes for favorite meals that you want to share.First one is an easy throw together meal. (Actually, most of mine are) Do note that I really like ground beef and mushrooms. :)

First - "Hamburg Stir Fry"

1 pkg of hamburg
1 pkg of mushrooms (fresh)
Bag of Snow Peas
Bag of Bean Sprouts

Brown the hamburg in a stir fry, then add the rest. We use soy sauce, steak spice for seasoning.

Second - "Hamburg Mess"

1 pkg of hamburg
1 pkg of mushrooms (fresh)
Gratted Cheeze (We use Motzarella)
4 Eggs

Brown hamburg, scramble Eggs, fry mushrooms in spoonfull of melted butter.

Combine all cooked foods, cover with gratted cheeze, microwave it to melt the cheeze.

I like to put a layer of salza sauce or Ketchup under the cheeze before melting.

Miscue
06-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Dr. Atkins DID NOT die of a heart attack. He slipped on ice, and fatally busted his head.

Get the Atkins Diet book. You need to kill your carbs to 20 grams/day temporarily. You'll be able to lose 30 pounds in I think 2-3 months (if I remember correctly) if you properly stick to the diet and don't cheat.

The Dr. Atkins diet is PERFECTLY safe. Eskimos... who do not have access to foods rich in carbs... but rather mostly meats/fats... DO NOT have heart problems, and don't have a problem with low carb diets. This goes for anyone on a low carb/Atkins diet.

Low carb diet DOES NOT eat away your muscle whatsoever... unless your low-carb diet also involves starvation.

Heart attacks were virtually non-existant before the introduction of processed/refined foods... complex carbs and such. Carbs are responsible for creating the conditions that lead to heart attacks.

The Atkins diet is contradictory to intuition - main source of its criticism. It's been clinically PROVEN to both WORK and be SAFE... decades worth of research. And, this idea existed before Atkins... he just implemented the idea with his patients a long time ago.

You would think that eating more fat makes you fatter. This is what happens: If you eat carbs, instead of fat being burnt, carbs are burnt, fat is retained. You eat no carbs, all you burn is fat... and a substantial amount.

Fish oil and Atkins are the best natural ways to reduce bad cholesterol. Atkins reduces bad cholesterol and triglycerides... this is the stuff that causes heart problems.

Obsesity became a larger problem after the idea of the low-fat diet. Low fat diets = more carbs, and are responsible for the surge in obesity.

What's great about the diet is that, you can eat until you are full and never be hungry... as opposed to many other diets. You can lose weight quickly, and can keep it that way. Atkins for Life talks about how to make it a lifelong thing... a book to get after the initial Atkin's diet books.

A lot of self-discipline involved. If you do the diet, and then go off it... your body will store up fat very quickly in response to reintroduced carbs.

Honestly though, the best solution is to weight train and exercise... burning off your carbs rather than restricting them. Increase muscle mass, metabolizes fat better... Next best thing if you don't want to do this, is Atkins.

bornl33t
06-03-2003, 05:23 AM
how tall are you miscue? 200lbs is a healthy weight for a guy in his mid 20's at about 6 ft?

I check in at exactly 20lbs and am constantly trying to get MORE but I CAN'T For whatever reason I never gain more then 5 lbs or loose more then 5 lbs.

irbodden
06-03-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Miscue
Low carb diet DOES NOT eat away your muscle whatsoever... unless your low-carb diet also involves starvation.

Muscles need carbos, ask any body builder or fitness instructor.

lopxtc
06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Strider --

Yeah I have one of his books from a friend, and have gone over the website for about three weeks before deciding I would give it a try ... thanks for the recipe ideas and suggestions. I am a big chicken person, so the idea of eating a little more beef is taking some getting use to.
I was suprised when I first went through the book and saw that you are actually allowed some carbs, granted a minimal amount, and that after the induction period you were allowed to raise the amount some. So far this is day two LOL ... and last night was tough, the boys wanted Taco Bell and it took allot to not scarf down their left over chips and tortilla's LOL ... but will power will over come.
Thanks again.

Miscue --

I was wondering if anyone else had seen the study done about the eskimo diet, I was pretty amazed to see that they were not suffereing from bad vitamin loss, or deficiencies in other areas.

Thanks all for the suggestions ... and for those wondering currently I am ...

6'00"

I was only 185 when I get out of the Marines in 97 ... put on 30 pounds in 6 years ... ugh ... although most of the 30 was within the first three years. I have actually been stable at 215 (+/- 5) for the past three years.

Aaron

edweird
06-03-2003, 12:24 PM

Bah so what?... another famous health nut guy, Jim Fix dropped dead while jogging ironicly enough of a heart attack. http://www.simpsonassociatesinc.com/fixxbook.html

Strider
06-03-2003, 12:36 PM
lopxtc, excellent. The book really is a good source of info.

If your a chicken > beef kinda guy, eat chicken! :) I love beef, so this diet works well for me. You could probably substitute chicken for beef in the stir fry...
I was suprised when I first went through the book and saw that you are actually allowed some carbs,A big misconception of the diet... ;)

irbodden your right, carbs cannot and should not be totaly removed. I bet if someone was to stay on the induction period (2 weeks) for months at a time, it could wreck havoc on them. But as pointed out, the diet requires you to reintroduce carbs slowly.
and last night was tough, the boys wanted Taco Bell and it took allot to not scarf down their left over chips and tortilla's LOL ... but will power will over come. Will Power is a prerequisiste to this diet. But I can tell you, if you survive the first few weeks, you won't need as much will power. Your snack impulse should go away. Another side effect of not eating manny carbs, is you won't feel bloated and sleepy after meals.

If you at all like nuts, buy and eat them. I survived the first week because of almonds and penuts. :)

Also, I know myself that my taste for Pasta based foods has gone away. I used to live on pasta, and couldn't think of living without. Now I have a pasta dish about once a month, and am satisfied with that. :) (Ok, I still have a thing for fetuchini-alfredo. :D)

I'm 6' as well. I'm still weighing in at 212, but I am so happy right now. 250 was rough. :) My ultimate goal is 180, but I know thats going to take a while, as I've plateaued. But I know I will, someday. :)

Kevmag
06-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by irbodden
First thing to do is get rid of ALL sodas.

This is so true. Cut out all soda, juice, and gatorade type drinks, they're just loaded with carbs. If you can't stand plain water, try crystal light. Tastes good no carbs.

I would just cut down the amount of carbs instead of trying to go full Aktins. I would have a bread (as in a sandwich) or rice (much smaller portion - 1/3 of normal amt) once a day. Other than that I tried to eat healthier foods (chicken, fish instead of beef).

Went from 157# to 141# in 5 wks or so. After the first week, it wasn't too bad.

Good luck.

Miscue
06-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by irbodden

Muscles need carbos, ask any body builder or fitness instructor.

If you're body building and doing fitness stuff correctly, you don't need to be on an Atkins diet... and you'll need carbs for fuel. Atkins is for those not interested in (unmotivated to do consistently), or able to do significant excercise for the purpose of weight loss and muscle building.

Strider
06-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Downgrading from regular to diet pop can also work. But if you can, drop that too. I haven't been able to, but meh... :)

Actually Kevmag, after the first week or two, a slice of bread or two is acceptable.

Atkins is for those not interested in (unmotivated to do consistently), or able to do significant excercise for the purpose of weight loss and muscle building.Ooooo! Me, thats me! :D Paintball really is my only activity. Course, I do that quite a bit now... :)

Kevmag
06-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Actually Kevmag, after the first week or two, a slice of bread or two is acceptable.

Several folks in my office went on the Atkins diet. I did not as it seemed unlikely that I could stick to it. I feel it was more realistic to me to just cut out the real bad stuff (like soda) and allow myself to eat some carbs in moderation.

I ate some fruit in the morning (apples and/or oranges). If I had a sandwich for lunch (usually just a 1/2 sandwich and a salad), I would not have rice for dinner. Little rules like that really helped me stay with it. I didn't drink diet soda as I felt it would tempt me to the real stuff! I have a coke problem. The first step is admitting you have a problem...

Kevin

Strider
06-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Really, the important part of dieting is to make changes in your habits. If that means taking on a diet plan, or making rules for yourself, it's all good.

I've got to break one of my rules soon... It states that Ice Cream will follow Supper. :( :D

lopxtc
06-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Well second day a little easier ... though I need to invest in the stuff to make the low-carb desserts ... deviled eggs only go so far as a sweets replacement LOL ...

Aaron

Strider
06-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Nuts are what saved me.

Some people go drink a glass of water anytime they get an urge...

Miscue
06-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Heat
how tall are you miscue? 200lbs is a healthy weight for a guy in his mid 20's at about 6 ft?

I check in at exactly 20lbs and am constantly trying to get MORE but I CAN'T For whatever reason I never gain more then 5 lbs or loose more then 5 lbs.

I'm 5'10" at 150#. I'm too damn skinny and am trying to gain weight... or more accurately... muscle mass. I'd like to hit about 165.

Well, one way to do it is eat 5 meals a day and eat A LOT of protein and weight-lift regularly. Once I settle in with a job and my school stuff, I'll hopefully have the self-discipline to do this.

Star_Base_CGI
06-04-2003, 08:06 AM
200 pounds is very healthy but everyone carries their weight different. If your 250 and carrying alot of muscle people wont notice. If your 200 and your gut is hanging way out people notice.

Thats why all of us said its important to excercise. My nieghbor weighs 100 pounds less than me but he sits on his butt all do so he looks terrible.

A good example. Arnold Swartzeneggor weighs 257 pounds and is 6" 2' tall. My neighbor sits around all day watchs cable TV and eats Ice cream.

It depends on how much muscle mass you have.

Strider
06-16-2003, 12:48 PM
So lopxtc, holding up?

lopxtc
06-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Hey thanks for asking ... yes I am and I am amazed at how easy it was after the first week.

I am eating way less food ... for example I used to eat a three egg omelett with hashbrowns and a bagle for a typical breakfast ... and now I find myself getting full on a two egg'er with dried tomatoes and mushrooms.

I found myself having to make myself eat over this past weekend. I get full real easy now which is cool and rarely feel the need to snack.

Weight loss is hard to tell at the moment ... I thought I weight 215 when I started but at the start of last week I weighed myself at 215 ... wont weight myself again till Wed this week to see how its going.

Honestly dont miss allot of the pasta and rice I used to eat all the time ...

Aaron

Mango
06-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Atkins Diet = Fad Diet. We spent half of a class at my college discussing how terrible this "diet" is.

First, it raises your LDL (bad cholestorol) to obscene levels, and lowers your HDL's (good cholesterol). Second, it is nutritionally unbalanced and fails to supply your bodies major source of energy (carbohydrates). Don't even think of holding any type of workout sessions while on this diet. Your body will not be able to perform at peak levels. You injest so much fat with this diet is horrendous.

Not all fats are bad, saturated fats are the enemy. And the Atkins diet has you injesting SOOO much. Good fats include: safflower oil, sesame seed oil, canola oil, peanut oil, fish oils (omega 3 & 6 oils). Just a tablespoon a day is all the body needs of these oils to get the proper ammount, and thats for an athelete who trains!! Imagine what Atkins diet followers are doing to thier insides!!

There are EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids) and if you eat say, salmon, 3 times a week, you are getting plenty. Thats over a 7 day period. Come on people, Atkins = horrible.

Loseing weight is SO simple. Eat CLEAN (balanced meals, 60% protien, 30% carbs, 10% fat) 4 times a day, and have healthy snacks twice a day. For a total of 6 meals a day if you want to look at like that. You have to keep your metabolism UP and keep your blook sugar levels in check. Excercise about 30-45 minutes a day and your set. I lost 110lbs doing these things. CHANGER YOUR LIFESTYLE, fad "diets" do not work!

lopxtc
06-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Research supporting low carb high protein diets ...

http://wilstar.com/lowcarb/research.htm
http://www.lowcarb.ca/newsmenu/researchfor.html
Harvards Study on Atkins (http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesb/article337.html)
Duke University's Findings on the subject (http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesb/article343.html) <-- Dated 2002 BTW. And I know I can find some from 2003.

I can provide more and more studies if you want also.

Aaron

Strider
06-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Atkins Diet = Fad Diet. We spent half of a class at my college discussing how terrible this "diet" is.A 30 year fad? You have odd ideas of a fad...

Just because something is discussed in a college dosen't mean it's 100% correct. Espeically in the field of weight loss.

Your body will not be able to perform at peak levels. You injest so much fat with this diet is horrendous.You truly don't understand this diet.

Loseing weight is SO simple. Eat CLEAN (balanced meals, 60% protien, 30% carbs, 10% fat) 4 times a day, and have healthy snacks twice a day. For a total of 6 meals a day if you want to look at like that. You have to keep your metabolism UP and keep your blook sugar levels in check. Excercise about 30-45 minutes a day and your set. I lost 110lbs doing these things.Good work! I do mean that. Thats a tremendous acomplishment.

If I had the time, the desire and the willpower to stick to that, I wouldn't be overweight. But I don't. I'm not a police officer, and don't live that kind of life. Perhaps I should, but the Atkins way alows me to not be 60 lbs overweight. I like that. My cholesterol is well and healthy, and I'm in better shape and health now than I've ever been.

I just noticed actually... The %'s you mentioned above isn't far from what you end up at after your done loosing weight on the diet...

CHANGER YOUR LIFESTYLE, fad "diets" do not work!Your right. "Fad" diets don't work. You *do* have to change your lifestyle. If you treat the diet like a fad, and leave it, it will not work. Commit to it, and it will work, and will be healthy.

Mango
06-16-2003, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry if I don't understand the Atkins diet as it stands today.

What I meant by a "Fad Diet" was that many people buy the book and treat it as a fad diet. I commend anyone that sticks with it and makes the change of lifestyle that it requiers. Those are the people that I applaud. Not every dietary plan works for everyone, and if the Atkins works for you, then great! :p

banzaimf
06-16-2003, 05:28 PM
The "fad" part is the induction phase. It's a way to get people to lose weight fast, and make a BIG lifestyle change. Then you ween yourself onto a more normalized diet of carbs and protiens.

It's the same thing that people are saying about making a huge lifestyle change and eating better with the added benefit of results up front which make it easier for people to see somehting that they like and make that leap to better living.

In the end, the Atkins diet works just like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. They also cut carb intakes, they just label it differently.

FreshmanBob
06-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Miscue

I'm 5'10" at 150#. I'm too damn skinny and am trying to gain weight... or more accurately... muscle mass. I'd like to hit about 165.

Well, one way to do it is eat 5 meals a day and eat A LOT of protein and weight-lift regularly. Once I settle in with a job and my school stuff, I'll hopefully have the self-discipline to do this.

LOL I'm 5'10" 165 and trying to lose what excess body fat I have. I figure about 5-10 more pounds. I came from being about 185 and over the last year through on and off eating better and excersizing lost about 20 lbs. Not to mention the pounds of muscle I gained. I've never been this strong or this cardiovascularly fit.

I recommend for gaining muscle eating more generously, taking protein shakes, lift like a mad man and look at a lotta posters of hot scantily clad ladies before, during and after lifting sessions. It boosts your testosterone levels which help build muslce a great deal. Also, just keep in mind to work your body evenly so as not to develop out of preportion. One or two sessions with a certified trainer can really get you going in the right direction.

Oh yeah, don't forget a short warm up and plenty of stretching before and after the workout, streching can actually increase strength.

paintball_junkie
06-16-2003, 11:41 PM
I didnt have time to read the whole thread so if someone already said this Ill delte it. Every morning eat bacon and I thikn its samrt start cereal I cup cereal 3 peices bacon, adn drink 2 cups of grapefrut juice. Lunch, eat some salad and have a slim fast snack bar. Supper have some kind of meat with salad and grapefruit juice. I did this lst year and lost 39 lbs. ALso I lightly lifted weights all throuhg the diet.

MiniMag84
06-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Being a vegetarian/animal rights activist/hippie this diet thoroughly offends me. It's obsurd. If you take in too many carbs eat less carbs, not more meat...

:rolleyes: :mad:

Strider
06-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Being a Denis Leary schooled Meat lover, your diet offends me. It's obsurd. We were meant to eat meat. :p

Ok, thats a little over the top, and I do respect Vegitarians... As long as they don't disrespect me. :) The simple fact is the diet isn't designed for Vegitarians. It is possible to use this diet as a Vegitarian, but it is harder to create a good variety of meal types.

lopxtc
06-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Now wait I though PETA meant People who Eat Taste Animals ... hmm maybe I am wrong :) j/k ...

MiniMag84 ... hate to tell ya, my wife is a hippie also and she is also on this diet. While she isnt big on eating meat there are other ways to get protein while at the same time cutting down on carbs.

The simple fact is that the diet works ... major medical studies are concluding that same fact.

And if we were not meant to eat meat you would think that the forerunners to modern man wouldnt have been eating meat .. god knows it was less dangerous to catch a plant then a moving animal.

Aaron

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 12:35 PM
I could go on and on about how bad meat is for you... But didn't that Atkins die of a heart attack like a month ago, seriously though I think someone told me this.

This is why I'm vegetarian...

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=mym2002

^let me know if it doesn't work and it's very graphic

Strider
06-18-2003, 12:58 PM
No, he didn't die of a heart attack. He died from falling on ice and hitting his head.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/04/17/obit.atkins/

Nice video. :rolleyes:

banzaimf
06-18-2003, 01:16 PM
So, does it make it better that I eat beef from my grandmothers ranch and venison that I shoot?

lopxtc
06-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Yeah but do you realize how violent people are against veggies ... some of the deadliest tools known to man are used to slaughter those innocent baby carrots, and how about all the un-needed discrimination againt collard greens ?? Dont see the ACLU standing up to defend them ...

Great now even I'm hijacking my own thread LOL ... :)

Aaron

MaChu
06-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Hey I started the Atkins diet a few days ago and Im looking for good receipes because eggs for breakfast, steak and salad are getting kinda boring.Thanks!

lopxtc
06-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Hey check out http://atkins.com/ they have tons of information and also a full receipe section.

I have found that stir-fry gets me through allot. I love to use allot of veggies and that makes for a really filling meal without a lot of carbs used.

Soy is rated at either 0 or less then 1 per tablespoon ... so it goes a long way.

Im a big fish person and with it being warm out now I get grill all the tuna or salmon I want :) makes it easier.

Aaron

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Hey lopxtc, vegetables feel no pain... and strider, why don't you like the video? It's real. Don't be mad at me for showing it, be mad at yourself for promoting it.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 03:22 PM
:p :D

lopxtc
06-18-2003, 03:43 PM
But yet we can bruise them ... :)

Aaron

Originally posted by MiniMag84
Hey lopxtc, vegetables feel no pain...

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 03:57 PM
You can shatter glass, but that does not mean it is in pain...

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 04:10 PM
they have no nervous system.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 04:29 PM
I'm not talking about importance, I'm saying that cutting down an apple won't hurt it. Cutting down a calf will.

banzaimf
06-18-2003, 05:20 PM
I'm not talking about importance, I'm saying that cutting down an apple won't hurt it. Cutting down a calf will.

Apples rot because they are..... DEAD!!!!!

paintball_junkie
06-18-2003, 05:20 PM
I hate it when vegeterians yell at us like this. I dont go up to vegeterians and say "hey dont eat vegetables becasue i dont like htem". We all have our preferences and people should just keep wuiet about it.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 10:01 PM
NO, people should not keep quiet about it. Every year 9 billion animals are raised and slaughterd for food. That's nearly 3 billion more than the amount of jews killed during world war 2. If everybody kept quiet about the holocaust what do you think would've happened?

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Animals eat animals to survive. We are smart enought to realize that you do not need to eat animals to survive. So it's really not nature for humans to eat meat.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Well, you've resorted to name calling. Perhaps you have no intelligent, on topic, repsonse? I want no trouble.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 10:32 PM
I get 150% protein every day not from pills or shakes, my cholesterol is way down, my blood pressure excellent, I'm in fantastic physical condition, I'm 60% less susceptible to cancer, these are only a few of the many reasons you should try being a vegetarian instead of using the atkins diet. You can save 63 animals in 1 year.

MaChu-
No need to get all whiney and yell. Seriously though, what makes you think that eating meat is the "natural way" of obtaining protein?

paintball_junkie
06-18-2003, 10:40 PM
First no name calling keep it clean and be adults (im 13 and i can argue without calin gnames).Being vegeterian is fine but you dont have to get up in eveyones faces and tell them not to eat meat. Also humans are meant to eat meat, think what would happen if we never killed an animal at all. The world would be overrun with animals. For some people meat is the main source of protein. I dont see anything wrong with eating animals. Why do you think some animals are here?

Minimag-just so you know Im not trying to offend vegeterians or anything. I totally respect what you beleive. But then you have to respect what we believe.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Peanutbutter, Tofu (ask me for recipes), Vitamins, etc... If you have access to a grocery store you have access to an abundance of high protein-NO MEAT products.

EXPLAIN HOW IT CAME FROM NATURE! "It comes from nature." "It's natural." HOW IS IT NATURAL?

The Atkins diet can help you lose weight, but it can also help you to die of a heart attack, heart disease, etc... at an early age.

The idea of the Atkins diet is that you don't eat carbs. Try going vegetarian and eating no carbs. You lose weight and do nothign but help your body.

MiniMag84
06-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Well I've had enough, try vegetarianism for maybe a day. It's good for you and you might like it. I don't mean to upset so many but ruthless animal slaughter is silly.

Goodbye.

Strider
06-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Well I've had enough, try vegetarianism for maybe a day. It's good for you and you might like it. I don't mean to upset so many but ruthless animal slaughter is silly.

Goodbye.
Goodbye, thank you for horrendously derailing this thread.

banzaimf
06-19-2003, 03:05 AM
I'm just shocked the 6 billion jews died in ww2. I didn't kow that there were even 6 billion people on the plnet in the 1940's.

MiniMag84
06-19-2003, 07:37 AM
oops, 6 million jews, my bad. :D

Yeah, I have tons of stuff. Here, www.peta.org they have some pretty awesome stuff. For food, there's toooons of things to eat, it's pretty easy to obtain all the nutrients you need. Just be weary of animal products in unsuspectful foods. For example, The creamy filling in twnkies is really whipped up cow fat. If you want some more stuff just let me know, the website is really awesome though.

:D :)

lopxtc
06-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Sooky and MiniMag ---

Please move your side talk to another thread. Nothing of what you are saying is relavent to this thread, and we have put up with your bantering long enough.

I am asking once nicely, then I will report your off-topic posts to the mod's and let them delete them.

Aaron

Originally posted by Sooky
Well, at risk of sounding like a "hippie," I have been seriously considering becoming a vegetarian over the last few months.

MiniMag84, if you haven't been chased off already, do you have any suggestions for getting started (websites, books, etc)?

MiniMag84
06-19-2003, 11:30 AM
You got it

FreshmanBob
06-19-2003, 02:43 PM
People have been eating meat for millions of years, we have sharp teeth in the front of our mouths specifically for tearing flesh. All animals that eat only plants have molars all around their teeth. However, it is disgusting how chickens, turkeys, pigs and cattle are treated.

Back on topic, there are studies that show correlations between the atkins diet and urinary problems as well as bone loss.

yummy

lopxtc
06-19-2003, 04:29 PM
FreshmanBob --

To you also ... if you would like to debate the diet, please do in a seperate posting. Anyone reading this thread is already on the diet and more then likely has read the studies, both pro and con, and has made up their own mind.

If you have anything to add to the original topic Atkins Diet followers ... and receipe tips, or favorites you want to share. please do. Otherwise start your own thread.

Again I ask once nicely, but will gladly let the mods do the moving for me.

Aaron

Originally posted by FreshmanBob
People have been eating meat for millions of years, we have sharp teeth in the front of our mouths specifically for tearing flesh. All animals that eat only plants have molars all around their teeth. However, it is disgusting how chickens, turkeys, pigs and cattle are treated.

Back on topic, there are studies that show correlations between the atkins diet and urinary problems as well as bone loss.

yummy

MaChu
06-19-2003, 05:15 PM
My debate deleted I suggest Minimag84 does the same.

Also, what do you guys suggest for a in between snack?

banzaimf
06-19-2003, 05:49 PM
the atkins bars are alright, the choclate peanut butter are right tasty, I like the lemon meringue too. My gf makes a cream cheese based custard like thing with splenda. They taste great. she got the recipe from the book. Small salads with steak in them are nice for a small snack.

FreshmanBob
06-19-2003, 08:32 PM
k..

how about ants on a log? :D

no carbs there

lopxtc
06-19-2003, 08:35 PM
I'll give you this one as a joke ... continue and I will report your posts.

Aaron

Originally posted by FreshmanBob
k..

how about ants on a log? :D

no carbs there

lopxtc
06-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Something I tried tonight ...

1 -- Prepare some low-carb pasta (1 cup = 10grams, believe me 1 cup is enough).
2 -- Put pasta aside and coat with olive oil to help avoid sticking.
3 -- Heat some olive oil in a pan then brown some chicken breasts that have been cut into small pieces or strips and coated in lemon pepper marinade. I used one pound, but you could use less.
4 -- In the same pan (I used a stir-fry pan) add small portabelle mushrooms, sliced olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and some parsley flakes. Dont use too many tomatoes as they a higher in carbs. Add more olive oil if needed.
5 -- Stir-fry that for a few minutes.
6 -- Add 1/4 cup cream based sauce. Usually only 3grams carbs per 1/4 cup. You dont need much just enough to coat the ingrediants and it will thin out some.
7 -- Add pasta, and stir some more over medium heat.
8 -- Add some more parley for color.

Serve with a side salad.

As above it makes enough for three servings @ roughly 6-8 carbs per serving.

For something different you can also marinade the chicken in italian dressing (I found a no calorie, no sugar, no carb dressing that is good) ... use some artichoke hearts in place of some chicken and more of the dressing in place of the cream sauce. This will be lower in carbs then the one above.

Aaron

FreshmanBob
06-19-2003, 08:51 PM
It was kind of half a joke man, relax.

I have a good question though, and it follows the atkins diet.

Is anyone here a fan of all natural penut butter? It's sooooo much better tasting than the normal stuff, the difference is insane. Plenty o protein too.

lopxtc
06-19-2003, 08:55 PM
natural penut butter while good is also high in carbs, at ~7 grams per 2 table spoons.

For people on the later stages of Atkins this is something to consider, but for those in the early stages its allot for a little. Though honestly I now know how far a table spoon can go.

Aaron

Strider
06-19-2003, 09:02 PM
For snacking, I pretty much rely on nuts.

When I was first starting and loosing most of my weight, I had Almonds and Penuts. Salted, as I like them that way.

Since then, I've moved onto Salted Honey Roasted penuts from presidents choice. Mmmmm...

FreshmanBob
06-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Really? I guess I never bothered to check. But daaaamn is that stuff good.

LoveMyMagMoreThanYou
06-24-2003, 03:10 PM

I recommend everything Darklord said.

I have been doing all these things and lost 41 pounds over the period of a year.

I was having trouble with the caffine. Swith to decafinated sodas and than it will be easier to switch to water. Keep cold water in the fridge and you will be able to drink 4 - 8 glasses a day easy.

Subsitute foods, fruit or dried fruit for candy. Popcorn and rice cakes for chips. Have nuts for a snack.

Make little changes until they add up.

Dr. Adkins died when he slipped on the ice on the sidewalk and died from complications of the head injury he sustained. Do not lie in your arguments.