PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length inefficeincy

FalconGuy016
06-03-2003, 08:33 PM
I know that if you get a long barrel you lose some gas efficiency. But does anyone know how much? Is it actually terribly different between a 12" barrel and a 16" barrel? Or is the difference pretty small and does not really matter?

Thanks

TippmannMan
06-03-2003, 08:37 PM
i dont have data to back up my opinion but i dont think it really matters. just get what you want.

FalconGuy016
06-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Please Up I need some opinions on this

JAM
06-04-2003, 10:19 AM
My opinion is that it's not noticeable.
I switch back and forth between a 12 and a 14, have velocity between them only change by 1-2 fps, so i don't change my pressure and so the efficiency is the same. you probably would notice a bit of difference between say the stock minimag barrel and a 16" boomstick.
I think paint- barrel fit is much more important to efficiency than length.

-j

FalconGuy016
06-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JAM
My opinion is that it's not noticeable.
I switch back and forth between a 12 and a 14, have velocity between them only change by 1-2 fps, so i don't change my pressure and so the efficiency is the same. you probably would notice a bit of difference between say the stock minimag barrel and a 16" boomstick.
I think paint- barrel fit is much more important to efficiency than length.

-j

Thanks

coolcatpete
06-04-2003, 03:30 PM
I switch between a 14 and 16 (i know i need a smaller barrel) anyways there is a huge volicity drop when i put the 16 in. From all of this data i would hypothisise that it really doesnt matter with the smaller barrels but when you get longer in length i think that it starts getting worse. I hope this helps you and if I did not answer correctly then lease carry on about the topic.

Jack & Coke
06-04-2003, 03:37 PM
If you are considering one of the top end performance barrels which allow you to accurately match paint-to-barrel (i.e. step-bore deisgn like CP Kit, Freak, Sceptor, Dye, Pipe, etc.), there's LITTLE difference.

Results will vary plus or minus a few fps, and will be influenced MORE by the quality of the paintball (i.e. roundness, size consistancy, etc.) than the few inches on the tip of the barrel between a 12 and 16.

Since the back of this type of barrel (the only part which actually touches the ball) is the same for a 12" and 16", there's NO loss due to friction (common myth).

The porting on the front half of the barrel actaully plays a minor part as well.

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=813414

FalconGuy016
06-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Wow thanks jack, thats really cool :) I wouldnt mind a few fps