PDA

View Full Version : kapp drop zone question

PaintballSmurf13
06-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Would a flatline tank fit in a drop zone clamp drop forward?:confused: just curious..

Smegma
06-04-2003, 09:35 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62348&highlight=drop+zone+flatline

I think it does, but you have to put it in the region where the reg stops and the tank starts, and im not too sure if that is good for the tank. Im getting a dz, and i would like to know the answer as well.

JEDI
06-05-2003, 08:26 AM
I took the dovetail mount off the Flatline. (the ring clamp too) You'll see there's a slimmer area for just that reason. I wouldn't put the cradel where the reg meets the tank. You could damage the tank. It should work perfectly where I suggested. Hope this helps.

Skreemer
06-05-2003, 10:20 AM
I have my DZII's clamped to my centerflag tanks right at the top of the tank leaving a bit of space so it doesn't touch the reg. When I first did this I was really skepitcal with it being safe and I asked a few question but at the time no one could really think of why it's OK to clamp a tank there. I got my answer at the IAO in 2002 At the WGP booth and another vendor booth(I forget who's) they had tanks dissected and cutaways for viewing. The "neck" of the tank is the thickest part of the tank and according to the folks at both booths this is SOP for all HPA vessel designs, they were counting on people clamping on the bottle and not thier regs. Whether this is actually 100% true or not I'm not sure... I'm going buy what I was told from vendors at a booth at a trade show... and the fact that I've had my centerflag tank on a DZII for a little over a year and a half now and there was no problem with the inspction during hydro testing.

JEDI
06-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe people would say its ok, but; I wouldn't clamp ANYTHING to my tank. No way. Fiber wrapped tanks only have specific strengths. You can't count on it holding up if you tap it the wrong way, or slightly stress it with hard parts fastened to it. Just my $.02

nerobro
06-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Jedi, I think you miss where the DZ camps onto the tank. The old "ring" tank mounts could actually damage tanks. TAnks strechand expand as they are filled, and a "ring" mount would prefent this, and add extra stress to the tank, as well as possiably hurting the integrity of the fiber of the tank.

The DZ clamping to the neck, is only clamping on metal. Only claming on a severely overbuilt portion of the tank, and is the strongest mounting method we have availableto us.

Would you rather hold onto a HPA tank with a clamp onto a 1" aluminum plug, or with a 5/8 threaded aluminum bar. The stronger connection should be obvious ;-) If they aren't. Threads weaken shafts, and the neck on a n2 tank is the way that the N2 mfgs like them held.

JEDI
06-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Nerobro, I'm a little confused by what you're getting at. We might be saying the same thing. I'm just saying, for the situation of a Kapp Cradel, and a Flatline, I think your best bet is to clamp the Cradel around the same area that the existing stock dove tail mount already is. You'd have to remove the dovetail, but I would think thats where AGD intended to have a drop connected to. It's round, and its recessed perfectly to accept a cradel.

http://www.deadcell.cc/images/P5030005.JPG

See where the drop is connected to the tank? Theres a spacer between the two (it's the dove tail). Remove that, and thats really the only spot to put a cradel on a Flatline.

nerobro
06-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Mabye I should say something else. If your tank is liek JEDI's and has fiber over the tank neck, then don' try clamping anything there ;-) In jedi's case clamping to the reg would be a better idea.

All of my tanks, and the tanks of the crew I play with have exposed aluminum necks on their tanks. I didn't account for those bulldog tanks with the fiber all the way to the top ;-)

BajaBoy
06-05-2003, 02:34 PM
guys, the only dropzone that will mount the way jedi is sayin are the ones the have the K on the sides of the mount and 2 holes drilles in it if you are looking at it head one.

this was an older one, as for the "dz2" and "dz3" they wont fit stock. You will have to sand alot of metal out of the dz if u wanted it to work like that.

take it as this, just use a rail/dove tail mount. its alot cleaner and looks better

rtslave
06-05-2003, 06:53 PM
I have a DZ3 on my flatline, I had to file out the metal to make it fit, I don't think you would be able to do this on a chrome one, it would have to be annod.