PDA

View Full Version : New Paintball Magazine...SPLAT

1stdeadeye
06-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Has anyone else seen the new pb mag Splat?

It looks very well done. I picked it up for the hey and will review it shortly. I did notice though that it appears to have a swimsuit model section running with markers!;)

Anyone know which company made this? It doesn't look like NPS and the Quality is way better then Paintball International, P8nt, etc... It is on par with PB2X and APG quality wise.

KustomKid
06-05-2003, 11:03 PM
I saw it a few weeks ago. It was a pretty decent mag. I still like PB2X better. Some of the authors of the articles need to keep their personal opinions to theirselves, that's MY opinion, but other than that a pretty decent mag.

circus5
06-05-2003, 11:38 PM
might have to pick this up. too bad i cant afford to subscribe.... maybe once i pay my insurance.... maybe

adam shannon
06-06-2003, 12:19 AM
all hype and bimbos, IMO. unless that was just the hook to get a new mag noticed so be it, but for good articles i like facefull and pgi.

Jonno06
06-06-2003, 12:21 AM
i have the premier issue in my hand. There is an article by Ryan Greenspan. The swimsuit part is very nice. They have some good tourny coverage..product reviews..no tech articles...a "how to" on snap shooting..how to play like outlaws.

they have great captions on the photos. Im guessing they have a deal with 7-11...they say something about all their issues will be in 7-11(where i got mine)

www.splatmagazine.com

i cant find a publisher though

some authors of articles are....

Jason Morton
Ryan Greenspan
Matty Marshall
Dave Araki
Jack Makowsky
Chris Laquinta
Alex Dalton
Paul Mendoza..(mendoza..isnt that from "The Mighty Ducks"?)

oh,here we go.
Micheal Neveux is the publisher..him and his friend are also the publisher for "Ironman Magazine"(for weight lifting)

also, the magazine has TONS of the Rizzo's in it..like every page..

who the hell are the Rizzo's anyway, and where did they come from?!

shartley
06-06-2003, 04:36 AM
I saw it a couple weeks ago. Not bad. I understand them wanting to add eye candy, but honestly I would like to see a nice Paintball Magazine put out that does not use women in skimpy clothes to sell it. The last time I looked I never saw a half naked lady laying on a beach holding a paintball marker.

With that said, they did do a nicer job at it than a lot of others I have seen.

I would just like to have a magazine that didn’t feel the need for all that. I have read Car and Driver, Road and Track, and Lowrider…. I like them ALL… but I like not having to weed through half naked women who have NOTHING to do with the subject matter every now and again. We seem to have plenty of paintball magazines that want to cater to the male sex drive… how about a real good one now that focuses on the SPORT alone? ;)

lopxtc
06-06-2003, 09:03 AM
Your just going to the wrong beaches :)

Aaron

Originally posted by shartley
The last time I looked I never saw a half naked lady laying on a beach holding a paintball marker.

shartley
06-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by lopxtc
Your just going to the wrong beaches :)

Aaron

:D

Spaceman613
06-06-2003, 09:28 AM
i want real articles. How to improve my GAME... Drills to practice for tourneys. REAL reviews of markers and parts.

I want a "Consumer reports" for paintball. Something like pbreview without the morons.

Id love to know what pads hold up the best under heavy use, hold up to washing, can handle a fat guy dropping on them.

REAL INFO, i could care less about models with guns. If i want that, Ill go to the nudie bar and tuck a few dollars.

puckmaster
06-06-2003, 10:22 AM
I saw it at fred meyer. I thought that the name was corny, so i didnt even look at it. Never judge a book by it cover i guess.

1stdeadeye
06-06-2003, 10:25 AM
According to PB2X, this magazine is Dynasty, Inc.

It is made up of current ond former Dynasty players. Reading through it it isn't too shabby. There really isn't a lot of skin in it and it has a few good articles.

Still like PB2X better!

1shot
06-06-2003, 10:50 AM
This magazine is somewhat of a "Maxim" clone for paintball. The writing, sense of humor, opinions, etc. There are even some references to "Maxim" in the articles. One important name was left out, the Advertising Exec or something like that, is Glen Forster I believe. They even made fun of Salm in there. It's a good combination of paintball reading. They are proud of the fact that they ruined a perfectly good Angel...but then again, it's just an Angel. It is definitely Dynasty, Inc. magazine. But hey, that's allright, I don't get out west very often...this could fill me in on the Cali scene right? I believe Rizzo is the name they give people when they don't know their real name. I bought this at QuikTrip, and it's been fun to read...after I finished reading PB2X.

Nick
1Shot

StygShore
06-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Mag is published by the same company that does the Ironman weight lifting magazine.

Some decent articles and suggestions, couple of things like telling you a way to lift your mask in a rec ball game and clean the inside lense during play that I didn't particularly care for.

Some real nice action photos, and decent amount of info on gear.

Bimbo quota is kinda high, and not needed in a paintball magazine, but those bikini models they use in their other mags must need some cash or something.

Styg

GreyLupus
06-06-2003, 08:23 PM
I was recently solicited for products for review by this magazine....you might find something in there email intersting with regards to there publishing policy.

"Hi XXX,
I;m sorry if I led you at anytime to believe I DO believe in puff reviews etc. In the first place, your product line isn't very big so obviously you aren't a target for our advertising department. I hear from other small outfits that our rates are rather high. That means you would be honestly reviewed and ranted about if your products are good. The advertisers may hand me kit, but they too get an honest review. The publisher told me when I took this assignment that he would rather not publish a scathingly bad review. He would rather skip the product if I felt it wasn't very good. "

Which goes along with my thought all aong that most PB mags have no journalistic integrity.