PDA

View Full Version : milling

coolcatpete
06-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Can I use a dremel and makee a design on my mag. I am not talking about some huge milling job but I just want to draw on it with the dremel. Please tell me if this will work and it would be nice if you could post up some pics.

shartley
06-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by coolcatpete
Can I use a dremel and makee a design on my mag. I am not talking about some huge milling job but I just want to draw on it with the dremel. Please tell me if this will work and it would be nice if you could post up some pics.
Yes, you can.

The problem is that thinking about it, and doing it are two totally different things. Using a dremel to carve with, etch with, etc. is in theory much much much much easer than in reality. It is much easier to mess something up with a dremel than it is to “make it better”. ;)

If you are not already a skilled dremel user (and I don’t mean for cutting nails or sharpening garden tools), I would advise not trying it. Take some scrap metal (the same as what you plan on working on) and play with that first to see how the bits/grinding stones react to the metal. Also make sure that if you want to work on a curved part of your marker, you use curved practice metal too… because curved metal is even harder to work with than flat. Your dremel will have a tendency to want to not just walk away from you, but RUN skip and JUMP away. ;) OR you can design what you want and have it engraved or milled into your marker by various places that do this as part of their normal services.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am not saying NOT to do it yourself, only giving you my opinion on the matter so you can determine for yourself if you feel you are up to the task. Any mistakes you make will most likely be impossible to totally correct.

jimmyjobob
06-08-2003, 08:37 AM
i dont have the skills and steady hand, but others do...

if you mean engraving a mag body, it can be done. i havent seen any pics around here of one. im sure someone can scrounge some up.

my old mag dremel carved mag....

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62778

Benfica4ever
06-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Is that the stock rail?that you carved up?

e mag
06-08-2003, 11:14 AM
it was probably a stock rail carved by a guy named tyson machado who is on AO, i haven't seen him around for awhile though. looks like the grips and foregrip are his work too.

68magOwner
06-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Whoa! that dremeled mag is the hottest gun ever! i wish i could have it, or even just those grips ummmm

JAM
06-11-2003, 10:49 AM
RobAGD's done some sweet dremel flames on his fugly mag... gotta be pics up here somewhere.