PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Day At Top Gun (NJ), incl. first field test with Scepter and Doc's Adapter

theraidenproject
06-08-2003, 09:35 PM
I was very excited to play today. I adjusted my Emag's trigger down to 1mm, and changed the magnet combo, and had ordered my 12" Scepter kit and Doc's cocker barrel to mag adapter for Friday (brief reviews below, pics even lower). However, by the time we got to my friend's house from Six Flags, it was already dark. Two of my friends guns were also screwed up. So, we ended up playing two, 5 minute, 2 vs 2 games, since we were in denial that it was to dark to play. This was supposed to be a trial run for today, so it made me even more eager to try my new stuff on the field.

I ended up only going with two people, since half of my friends had to go to graduation for siblings, music, or both. That didn't matter because we were surprised to find 3 people from our school there, that we knew from the paintball club (which had one outing in Oct. then dissolved, but that's another story). They had upgraded their gear since the last time we played with them. Several Timmys, a Speed, an IR3, a Viking (which was kindly lent to my friend who was renting, you should have seen the smile on his face), a Phantom, an RT, and some others I'm forgetting. This was my first time firing a Timmy, and I must say I was impressed. I do think they feel a little "cheap", though. I don't know why, they just seem a little flimsy. Regardless, it is sooo easy to rip on them. I can't get a good rhythym walking the trigger on my Emag, but I could on the Timmy I tried. It was also my first time holding (didn't get to shoot them) a Space Frame, on both the IR3 and Speed. They were not very comfortable at all. Maybe I need to actually try them in a game, but just holding it, I actually thought the quasi-.45 of the Emag was much better.

We played open class, and my first game was typical for me, which is to say, I got out really early. A ball flew between the boards in an unmaintained bunker, hitting my gun. Like usualy, I came back for the rest of the day, getting at least one person out every game, usually 2 or 3. Today and my last time playing were the first time's I've gotten out more people than I've gotten out myself, and it feels great. I'm finally decent now. Part of this I can attribute to my equipment. Yea, the gun doesn't make the player. But when every shot is going exactly where you want it because you have a nice barrel kit, and you can rip on the trigger without trying, because you spent the dough on a nice gun, the effect is easily felt, both physically and mentally. When you're not being held back by your equipment, you can finally see how well you play. There are no excuses.

Back to the day. Conditions were good and bad. Some fields were absolute swamps, because of all the rain this weekend, but it was a nice, sunny day. I actually took off my jersey and played in a tshirt.

The idiots, it seemed, came out in droves. I'd never seen more people taking their masks off or leaving barrel condoms off or plugs out. I was, personally, shot twice, from point blank, by idiots in the dead zone. The first time, the guy was bigger then me, so I let it slide, but gave out a few choice words. The second time, it was some kid, maybe 12, so I let my mouth run. IN two years of paintball, I've NEVER seen anyone shoot someone outside of a game before, muchless twice in a day with me as the target.

Besides that, I had a great time. My gun worked perfectly. I could rip on it effortlessly. I was delighted with the performance of my new Scepter and Doc's adapter. Fit and finish on both were excellent. Installing the adapter was a snap, and it works exactly as advertised. Not much more to say about it. It's a more than acceptable substitute for those who want cocker barrels for their old SS bodies, either because they don't like center feed, are waiting for the warp ULEs (jk, i couldnt afford it anyway, I'm $200 in debt), or any other reason to hold on to that SS body.

The Scepter kit was a dream come true. I had never had more than one barrel at a time, much less five, and thus suffered from inconsistency, etc. resulting from one barrel. I shot some old RPS with the .688 on Fri., and some new Hurricane(?), on Sat with the .690 today. Both times, accuaracy was amazing. I don't know numbers, but i was getting a less than one foot spread and a good distance. Over the chrono was great as well. I was +/- 2, IIRC. Inserts lined up perfectly. It shot through breaks really well, except for one game, but I don't know why that was. IT looks great, too. And for only $166 at topchoicepaintball.com, it was a great deal.

In summary, I had a great day, and highly reccomend the Scepter kit and Doc's adapter.

GT
06-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Nice,
could you do us a favor and add some paragraph breaks and title the small review of the scepter and docs kit?

jb

graycie
06-09-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by theraidenproject
The idiots, it seemed, came out in droves. I'd never seen more people taking their masks off or leaving barrel condoms off or plugs out.

It's allways like that when the weather is fair or the in this case the rain finally let up for a day. People just come out in the masses usually just occassional rec. players(or people that don't want to drive to skirmmish), so they don't really realize the importance of safety. Back when I was a regular at Top Gun, I was the bystander barrel plug/goggle nazi. I went to go play and have fun not about to get shot in the eye by some irresponsible person/kid.

theraidenproject
06-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi
Nice,
could you do us a favor and add some paragraph breaks and title the small review of the scepter and docs kit?

jb
I added paragraph breaks when I typed it, but it deleted the 5 spaces I inserted at every first sentence when I hit the "submit" button. It always does that for me. I'll try again.

theraidenproject
06-09-2003, 12:50 PM
I forgot the pictre of my new setup.

GT
06-09-2003, 12:56 PM
thanks for fixing it bro. It was a killer read w/o the breaks.

jb

MantisMag
06-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by graycie

It's allways like that when the weather is fair or the in this case the rain finally let up for a day. People just come out in the masses usually just occassional rec. players(or people that don't want to drive to skirmmish), so they don't really realize the importance of safety. Back when I was a regular at Top Gun, I was the bystander barrel plug/goggle nazi. I went to go play and have fun not about to get shot in the eye by some irresponsible person/kid.

i remember hearing you one time. you're quite loud. ;)