PDA

View Full Version : those damn nubbins...I have had it!!!

Rob B
08-19-2001, 02:42 PM
I have had it, fed up. I am going crazy!!! Just got an E-Mag, warp feed, and a freak barrel and went out for some team practice. Damn if I didn't break 6 wire nubbins. 6 of the little bastards! If AGD is going to even think of making the E-mag compete with the Angel LCD's, then they better loose that nubbin/barrel design. I mean, how hard would it be to make the barrel threaded and use a ball detent like everyone else? Just a little ball with a spring behind it. Come on AGD, ditch the barrel design, it is out dated. Untill a new barrel design is introduced, I might have to go back to what works, an Angel LCD.

[This message has been edited by Rob B (edited 08-19-2001).]

Cocker Smasher
08-19-2001, 02:50 PM
I have had no problems with my wire nubbins....

------------------
Is that a cocker i see in the deadox!!!I THINK SO!!!

2UnREal
08-19-2001, 03:04 PM
If you don't like the nubbings tap a 3/8-24 hole into the side of the barrel so you can put a cocker ball detent. If I have any probs with my nubbing I will do this. I post if it works well.

Tunaman
08-19-2001, 03:14 PM
I love the freak, but you should check the lengths and depths of the nubbin cutout on the aftermarket barrel. Compare them to the stock barrel. I believe you may find something wrong(different) here. I have not had any problems with the v-nubbins ever. This may be a smart parts issue, maybe not an AGD one. Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by Tunaman (edited 08-19-2001).]

X-Plosive
08-19-2001, 03:25 PM
robp are you using "P" nubbins or "V" nubbins? I have a strange feeling you installed the nubbin incorrectly and are now flaming and threatening AGD. I honestly don't think AGD needs customers that flame at the drop of a hat. However Tom feels differently. Whats you tell us what typeof nubbins they are we can determine the problem but I think tunaman may be on to something. I have never heard of a defective nubbin in a SP barrel though. Most likely you are either takeing the "P" nubbins and bending them in so much that the bolt breaks it right off and it slices the ball. If its a "V" nubbin I think you may have taken the end of the nubbin and pushed it inside your barrel like this little diagram shows(_/\/)instead of (_/\_).

------------------
Taking mags apart is fun, its even more fun when you don't know what you're doing

Ohh yeah and Tunaman sorry for all the stress and all the things I've broken.

*If corn oil is made of corn, what is baby oil made of?*

[This message has been edited by X-Plosive (edited 08-19-2001).]

Rob B
08-19-2001, 03:34 PM
They broke in the freak, in the stock barrel, and in a boomstick. It's like the bolt it grabing the nubbin and shoving it into the barrel. Hell, the stock barrel has 2 nubbins in it. I blew them out with one ball. First shot broke them both. And once the nubbin was busted, that warp feed would shove 2-3 balls into the barrel at one time. I am sure you all know that 3 balls in a barrel makes one hell of a mess.
Question, does the Armson F/X micro E-Mag use threaded barrels? If it does, I am getting that body. With no paint in the gun and on hybrid mode, it is ripping the nubbins out. I am out of nubbins! I had 7 of them in my parts kit. I will have to try the "V" type and see if that is my problem. The "round" type are the one's I was using. I forgot about the other "V" style. I think I still have a few of them in my regular mag parts kit. Worth a try...
Also, I actually bent the nubbin out so it had less contact with the ball. And yes, they were installed correctly.

[This message has been edited by Rob B (edited 08-19-2001).]

Rob B
08-19-2001, 03:38 PM
I never threatened AGD X-Plosive. A little flame maybe, but never a threat. I do not threaten, but I do voice my opinion.

X-Plosive
08-19-2001, 03:44 PM
You threatened you were going to no longer be an AGD customer and go to WDP. Are you sure you are installing them properly? Have you examined your bolt and the bolt spring for something protruding out of them? What type of bolt are you using?

------------------
Taking mags apart is fun, its even more fun when you don't know what you're doing

Ohh yeah and Tunaman sorry for all the stress and all the things I've broken.

*If corn oil is made of corn, what is baby oil made of?*

Flamebo
08-19-2001, 03:47 PM
There's a screw that goes into the rail from inside the top of the trigger frame. Check it, it may be going in too far. This could cause the barrel to not turn in all the way and put extra stress on the nubbin, snapping them much more than usual. If this is the case, just put a washer in. If not, try switching to "P" nubbins, they break less.

Rob B
08-19-2001, 03:51 PM
X-Plosive, The E-Mag is 100% stock other than a barrel that I install. Just bought it the other day. It is the "Long" bolt that came with the gun.
Also, that is not a threat. That is an statement. A threat is, "I am gunna punch that guy in the mouth..." That is a threat.
Believe me, I have been a very good customer and supporter of AGD over the years. I have had many mags, mini's and "stuff" from AGD. I still own my original mag that has to be at least 9 years old. So, that's that.

2UnREal
08-19-2001, 05:06 PM
Why don't you go to your local field and ask to borrow someone's barrel for a few shots at the staging area and see if your gun breaks the nubbins on that barrel. If it doesn't then you must be putting them in wrong.

Tunaman
08-19-2001, 07:21 PM
The guy says it happens on 3 barrels! Something is going on there. Do not use the P nubbins! They stink! Send the gun back to AGD and let them check the tolerences. Shouldn't be happening on a new marker.

Rob B
08-19-2001, 07:44 PM
2unreal, I am not new to mags. I know how a nubbin is supposed to be installed. I bend, I tweak, I get it to where it fit's just perfectly. But this E-Mag just eat's them alive. And it doesn't just do it on the freak, it has done it on 2 other barrels. The stock one, and a 10 inch boomstick.

I dug around in my parts kit and found 2 "V" nubbins. Poped one of them in the freak, adjusted it to a loose fit and shot about 350 balls without a problem. It is more than likely the "P" style nubbins. But I am not positive.
I also think that having the warp feed interface wire installed helped. I am left handed, and the wire I had was too short. I had to cut and solder about 3 inches of wire into it so it would reach the warp feed. It seems to be working ok for now. We will see...

User
08-19-2001, 08:38 PM
The E-Micros indeed use 'cocker barrels...however, I wouldn't recommend buying an E-Micro due to myself and others' bad experiences with them. If you want a new body I'd recommend waiting for the modular E-Mag body kit.

AGD
08-19-2001, 09:57 PM
Ok everyone calm down. We have the new plastic never-break-and-fold-into-your-barrel nubbins just coming out of the mold now. We are deciding on the type of nylon to use but they should be out soon. We are going to threaded barrels in the Emag Extreem per your request.

AGD

DarkPhoenix
08-20-2001, 02:27 PM
Cool, new nubbins which never break and the name of the new e-mag. Tom, you are my idol! You always know how to keep us in the know yet not.

------------------
RT Pro P/F
w/ AGD Flatline

PyRo
08-20-2001, 03:42 PM
Threaded barrels... Noooooooooooooooo you cannot thats evil. /me hugs his twist lock barrels.

You have an ETA on those nubbins?

mikey101
08-20-2001, 04:04 PM
I also had the problem of nubbins breaking. but what I found out is that mine still works even though I have very little nubbin sticking in there. there's a tiny little bit, but its just enough. New nubbins huh? sounds good.

rictus
08-20-2001, 07:47 PM
E-Mag Extreem? When was that name picked? Cool.

michael
08-20-2001, 09:26 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AGD:

Ok everyone calm down. We have the new plastic never-break-and-fold-into-your-barrel nubbins just coming out of the mold now. We are deciding on the type of nylon to use but they should be out soon. We are going to threaded barrels in the Emag Extreem per your request.

AGD</font>

NAME THE NUBBIN GIVE AWAY!?!?!?!

PyRo
08-20-2001, 10:56 PM
Yeah, whoever names it gets a free nubbin http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif
I Got It!!!!!!!!!!! The OTW nubbing for One That Works http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

the123
09-16-2001, 09:10 PM
I hope these come out soon!!
I'm having probalems with my Freak system beating the hell out of nubbins, and the worst thing is it happens in the middle of a game. making the player almost defenseless.
Even today I had one break, fold in and then gouge the heck out of the inside of my new freak barrel.. :(
i haven't taken the bolt out to see if there is even any damage to that.

davej946
09-17-2001, 06:53 AM
I am not a fan of the threaded barrel system. This is one of the many reasons I bought a Mag in the 1st place. Think about it. When you break a ball in a mag, it's limited to the barrel. Just remove the barrel and clean it out, no need to clean the whole gun, like many other designs. AGD, this is just the humble opinion of ONE of your customers, just wanted to make my voice heard.

Also, where are the mods? There is more swearing in this thread, than I have heard in the entire Navy! Someone want to censor this guy? - Thanks.

Thanks,

Ityl
09-17-2001, 10:47 AM
I like the twist lock barrels cause it's easy to clean. But since I really break a ball it's useless. I, like most, think a threaded barrel would be better. I never had a problem with the nubbins though, both kinds. Others did that I know. Not something I understand.