PDA

View Full Version : Do HALOs get Heat Stroke?

BlackVCG
06-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Started the day off with two people running HALOs on my team, myself being one of them. At the end of the day we were using Viewloader products instead.

My HALO physically melted the motor. You can tell that the white plastic cover is a bit melted out of shape. The commutator is melted too.

The second HALO, which is a TE and a brand new hopper decided to throw a surface mount chip off the board.

It was about 95 degrees today and the HALOs were piles of junk. I've had mine for about a year now and have had no issues with it up until today, but then again I haven't played with it in this level of heat. The other HALO stopped working and shaking it around we could hear a part inside of it, so after taking it apart we discovered the little surface mount chip floating around inside.

http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/Fried_HALO.JPG

http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/Fried_HALO2.JPG

http://www.automags.org/~BlackVCG/Not_Good.JPG

AutomagBoy
06-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Crap i live in arizona.......I haven't played since winter but the current temp is around 110! I got a red Halo-b is it covered under the warrenty?

Curly
06-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Truthfully I can tell you its not the heat. At least not 95 degrees. I played with a halo in 103* weather all last summer. But I know that odyssey had trouble with burned out motors. They will replace it for free. Im sorry it had to go out in a tournament.

nippinout
06-09-2003, 01:59 AM
I doubt the boards are getting all that hot to loosen any soldering.

Maybe a bad job by the board people.

Odyssey is based in Texas, and it gets plenty hot down there. Sure seems like an odd problem.

Wynken
06-09-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm still going with the theory that Odyssey paintball designed this to happen on a certain day so that everyone would see the obvious benefits of the rip drive. Sure, it's filled with holes, but it's got a great conspiracy theory ring to it.

Although it did allow one of the greater scenes of the tournament: Steve's Halo breaks so he takes the hopper off and starts direct feeding into the warp. I don't remember if he got anyone, but it he did own the kid who was arguing with the ref and not getting off the field like he should have.

Curly
06-09-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Wynken
but it he did own the kid who was arguing with the ref and not getting off the field like he should have.

Haha thats the best way to get em to quit arguing.

manike
06-09-2003, 04:54 AM
Some of the white topped motor's have had issues. OPP will replace it.

Also when they moved production the guys making the SMT boards didn't seat that component as well as they should of so some have been coming off :( again OPP will fix it under warranty I believe.

cphilip
06-09-2003, 08:02 AM
They will fix them and no this should not happen. I have had one bad motor myself.

And that chip thing is a new problem I think that has just surfaced.

But their customer service is good. They will fix it and fast and pay shipping back to you. Sorry you had trouble with them.

-=Squid=-
06-09-2003, 08:40 AM
My halo got shot, and it completely destroyed the whole front of the hopper! :eek: The battery cover was litteraly crumbbling, as for the rest of it. IT was completely unsuable. I sent it in, and the day they got it they fixed it with all the new little upgrades and software, and new shells. They shipped it back the same day they got it, now who else can say that abouta company?

Surreal
06-09-2003, 10:15 AM
i like that pic "Not Good" .. LOL that was funny

the123
06-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
I sent it in, and the day they got it they fixed it with all the new little upgrades and software, and new shells. They shipped it back the same day they got it, now who else can say that abouta company?

I wish I could say the same, I sent mine in almost 2 weeks before the super7 Chicago event and still haven't got it back. I'm sure now that the tourny is over, it will be here any day. :p

-=Squid=-
06-09-2003, 11:46 AM
That sucks lol, mabe im just lucky. I didnt even call them. I just sent it to em and asked if they got it, they just told me it was already on its way back. I wasnt expecting all the new software goodies as well!

cphilip
06-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by the123

I wish I could say the same, I sent mine in almost 2 weeks before the super7 Chicago event and still haven't got it back. I'm sure now that the tourny is over, it will be here any day. :p

You better give em a call. When I sent one back their local PO tried to deliver it on a Saturday, supposedly left them a slip that it was wating on them, but they never got a slip. I tracked it and saw what was happening and it was about to get returned to me. I called and talked to Edward and he ran up the the PO and got it just in time. And it was then back to me like three days later. Seems the PO there does not retry and deliver it if they have tried once already. Also I always go the tracking shipped route on anything I got so I know where it is.

AlabamaMan
06-09-2003, 12:19 PM
The one with the missing chip is mine. I come off the break shoot about 5 balls, and then it's nothing but air. It's a good thing the boys took care of buisness in about a minute, or we could have been in trouble.

So then i have to borrow an eggo from a guy, it's a pile of junk the lid was broken, i had to set my gun down everytime i needed to fill it. Not to mention i think a 3 year old could have out shot it. I had to tape the thing to my no rise, because it would just fall out if i didn't.

Oh and on top of all that my brand new worr gas just stopped working. It wont recharge, and everytime i gassed up the E-mag it would just go full auto.

What a day, but at least we got third, and i pulled off the sweetest superman slide ever.

Evil Bob
06-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you just had a really bad string of rotten luck this weekend.

But, as they say, even the worst day paintballing, is still better then the best day of work :)

-Evil Bob

SlipknotX556
06-09-2003, 01:42 PM
When I had my Halo B, I played in 100 degree weathr, with 90% humidity, I had no problems with anything melting in my halo.

GT
06-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Kinda of intresting,

The intense heat and the intense playing conditons could have made it nearly impossible for the motor to "shed" remaining heat.

Sucks for you but kinda cool for us:D

jb

Frank (the spank)
06-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Ok... next day I play I'm putting my halo in the ice chest between games, lol

FutureMagOwner
06-09-2003, 04:52 PM
omg mine has done the same thing and ive read in a tournament that someones halo literally caught on fire and he got lit up trying to put it out

ocelot213
06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
where did you read that? it sounds a little far-fetched.

Dave
06-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by FutureMagOwner
omg mine has done the same thing and ive read in a tournament that someones halo literally caught on fire and he got lit up trying to put it out

I remember hearing about that one too!

-Dave

manike
06-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dave
I remember hearing about that one too!

Me too, but the kid that claimed it never posted pics or backed up what he said so I don't know if it's true or not. He was given a week to 'put up or shut up' and never came through.

The guy that claimed it about his Evo 2 showed pictures of it all melted around the battery compartment, but even then it didn't catch fire, just got very hot and all melted.

It is possible that a component can burn out in a hopper, but the thing catching fire? I find that rather hard to believe. :rolleyes:

Wynken
06-10-2003, 06:27 PM
The "WORR gas" is just an HPA tank.

I think the WGP Booster is just a way of getting 3000-4500 PSI out of a normal compressor and some lower pressure air. At least, that's how I understand it.

-Wynken

Xyxyll
06-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Wynken
The "WORR gas" is just an HPA tank.

I think the WGP Booster is just a way of getting 3000-4500 PSI out of a normal compressor and some lower pressure air. At least, that's how I understand it.

-Wynken

thanks

sneakyhacker420
06-10-2003, 09:23 PM
i heard of the HALO that caught on fire in a convo at my field... i think i heard that it happened at a tourney though... i dont remember gossip to well :rolleyes: