PDA

View Full Version : rights for music?

magc68
06-09-2003, 08:07 AM
we are looking into making a dvd with all the footage we have to be distributed in our area and the question is how do we go about getting the rights to music and all the details so we are not doing anything illegal.
thanks

-=Squid=-
06-09-2003, 08:34 AM
As it seems inevitable this is the wrong forum...But to answer your question, you can use the music without permission so long as you dont distribute it as your own or make profit from it.

digitard
06-09-2003, 10:40 AM
If your selling the DVD you will need to contact the label the band/music is on and ask them how you can legally put it in the video.

Dave

hAppy
06-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by digitard
If your selling the DVD you will need to contact the label the band/music is on and ask them how you can legally put it in the video.

Dave

most likely they d say "hell yeah"
gives them publicity ya know

Muzikman
06-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
As it seems inevitable this is the wrong forum...But to answer your question, you can use the music without permission so long as you dont distribute it as your own or make profit from it.

That is VERY untrue!!!!!!!!!

Best thing to do if you want to use someone elses music (more than 15-20 second samples) is to talk to a lawyer and have them work it out with the record company. This is the best approch with bands that are signed to a record contract with a large or small record label. If you get a band that is smaller or unknown with no record contract then you can deal direct with them or their managment. It's still not a bad idea to have a lawyer as things can come back to bite you.

Do a search on www.starpolish.com I'm sure something will turn up there. You would be shocked at how hard it is to get some record companies to let you use their music unless you are willing to give them money for it.

Restola
06-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
You would be shocked at how hard it is to get some record companies to let you use their music unless you are willing to give them money for it.
Reword that to "You would be shocked how hard it is to let a company use their product for free", and its not so shocking :)

poloniusreep
06-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Depending on what music you want it can be very costly. What is your budget?

magc68
06-09-2003, 07:25 PM
most of the music i am going to try to get is not that well known. i would like to keep this at no cost to me. in what way should i contact a record company?

Muzikman
06-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Find out what record company the band is signed to. This is usually not hard as if you have a CD it will say on it, or check their website. You should then be able to find the contact information. One suggestion, do all contact through written snail mail. Email is usually to informal and phone calls are a waste of their time.

If you want any help doing this, give me the names of some of the bands and I will get you some contact info. I can also help you write your request letters.