PDA

View Full Version : The truth about HALO's?

TheJester
06-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Ok i've been a good boy and done some searches...how ever i've read very mixed reviews. will it be a problem or not on my powerfeed minimag body? and those who have it...lay everything out on the table about it, what you like, what you don't like. it got something like a 9.6 on pbreview, and warpig seemed to like it. but i've heard some people on here absolutly hate it. so what's the truth?

Dave
06-09-2003, 09:09 PM
I really like my Halo...sometimes:) Definitely go with the B series...the Halo A was fast enough for me, but jammed up more on me, and had some issues with turning it on, and it turning off in the middle of a game. Played a game w/ my new Halo B with it on my ReTro mag, which shoots very fast, no problem.

I think Halo has been having a lot of quality control issues lately. I love my Halos, but its good to have a back up.

The final solution?

But a pump, and never need a motorized hopper:)

-Dave

TheJester
06-09-2003, 09:11 PM
yea, i was planning on getting the halo b, sorry i forgot to mention that...and 1 more thing. how well does it stand up against rain? i know revies have a hard time w/ rain, i never had a problem with my rico, but how about these?

pbzmag
06-09-2003, 10:36 PM
I have a pre-be 12-volt revolution and have no problems.

Edit: Opps! Had a brain fart. For some reason I was thinking of Revy when TheJester was asking about how Halo's hold up against rain.

Nick O time
06-09-2003, 10:43 PM
its ok, but on my powerfeed it was sooooooo powerfull the balls would push against eachother and be held against the breach nob(or whatevr it is called) and not feed.

yeahthatsme
06-09-2003, 11:48 PM
halo b's are great! i love mine(not using it on a mag, but still) it feeds great and its mighty purdy! not to mention odyssey as GREAT customer service. i'd say get a halo or a TSA.

hitmanng
06-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Most Halo owners have a love hate relationship. It is by far the fastest loader I have ever seen. It does however feed with way too much pressure. On the omen it jams. On my E-force it double feeds. On my stock mag68 it works great. It also weighs a lot. You actually feel a difference. I also had a few issues with the plastic in the area of the lid hinge breaking but a little superglue and I was all set. If you are like me you will also lose a lot of paint on the ground when I change markers and such.
When it works on the gun it is great. But, I wish it had an adjustable pressure.
Hitmanng

cphilip
06-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Alright I will comment on this...

I have sold about 40 of these things. And I have owned four of them myself and currently have two.

Now my first experience with them one of a dozen I got I kept one and it had a bum motor. None of the other 11 had a problem. All B's second edition (the pulser). Quickly fixed by them though I must say. And none of the other three I have owned have had a problem...So far anyway but two of them are fairly new with one not even having had batteries put in it yet.

Now since then I have sold all those others and so far only one other of them seems to have had a problem. I think its the one BlackVCG got can was reporting yesterday but I need to talk to him about that and see. It would have been a brand new TE at the field for its first time.

But so far none of the others has reported to me they had a problem. Doesn't mean that some of them didn't but not heard from them that they did either.

Skreemer
06-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Well I haven't had any real problems with my HALOb... except one pratice we had it was between 6 and 8 degrees out and I couldn't feel my fingers and snapped the lid right off.. I called Odyssey and they replaced the lid for me for free...

As to how they work in the rain. Nerobro, Aze and I went out this sunday and played at Badlandz in the middle of a pretty good downpour. The HALO's of Aze and myself worked flawlessly.

My only complaint about the HALO is that on mine when I turn it on it is very difficult to see the green LED flash. I usually end up turning it on then off and then back on again.

mxracer33x
06-10-2003, 09:33 AM
I have a Halo B and a Halo B with TE software. Then TE software is a huge improvement. It feeds so much more consistently and with alot less force on the balls. I have always used a Halo B on my Xmag, but would occasionally have some paint breakage problems. With the new TE software I have shot 6 cases of paint without a barrel break or chopped/crushed ball.

The second time I used my Halo B TE however, the motor did burn up. Since there was not enough time to get it repaired beforethe next weekends tourney I opted to swap motors with my older Halo B. I havent had any more problems since.

Over all my experience with the halos has been great. After shooting over 30 cases of paint through my first halo and it still is going strong I cannot complain. Hopefully my other motor will get replaced and have just as strong a life.

cphilip
06-10-2003, 09:40 AM
I have one guy shooting a B that was second edition and he prefers it because it pushes harder and keeps up with his race frame better. He refuses to upgrade it until it dies.

TheTramp
06-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Another thing that great about the Halo is it's battery use. It does take a bunch of AA batteries but they last a LONG time. In fact, I haven't had to replaise mine since I installed them 7 cases or so ago. My Revy needed new batteries every other tournament if I wanted to be safe.

AlabamaMan
06-10-2003, 11:41 AM
i had a chip fall off of my board, and blackVCG's motor melted down.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86577

cphilip
06-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Alabama which one was the one the chip fell off. The new clear one?

AlabamaMan
06-10-2003, 11:44 AM
new smoke

hitech
06-10-2003, 11:46 AM
They work fine on power feeds. Did you see my video of a hyperframe firing at 20bps? That was a Halo B feeding a power feed. :D

AlabamaMan
06-10-2003, 11:48 AM
I forgot to say that we are both sending them in today. I'm also sending in my worr gas. All the new toys i got in the last two weeks are going back :( :mad: :confused:

cphilip
06-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Did Black use the new clear one too? Or did someone else get that one?

AlabamaMan
06-10-2003, 11:57 AM
I was useing the new smoke one he got from you. He was useing the blue one that he has had since IAO last year.

cphilip
06-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Oh my mistake. I thought he got a clear. Ok thats what I need to know cause I kept one of those for myself and have not tried it. I better take a look at it. Sorry about that. Thats not good at all. I just wonder if any more are like that then. I had 10 of them come that shippment...

AlabamaMan
06-10-2003, 12:14 PM
No problem, i guess steve's just couldn't handle how fast he shoots, and mine couldn't hand such an aggressive style of play...:D

manike
06-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Nick O time
its ok, but on my powerfeed it was sooooooo powerfull the balls would push against eachother and be held against the breach nob(or whatevr it is called) and not feed.

This is probably the fault of the powerfeed plug. Is it one of the new adjustable parabolic feed plugs, if not that's the issue? It's important to use one with any force feed system (warp feed included). You also need to adjust the feed plug correctly so itsits perfectly flush.

No sKiLLz
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Ok, I'm getting to be pretty good with the hardware side of paintball because anything and EVERYTHING that can go wrong with a marker, the hopper, the regs, etc. has happened to ME!!!

Keen example, by the will of satan and his evil curse to keep me from playing a whole day of paintball he burned out the motor on my Halo B and then my friends who I borrowed to replace it.

So, for what it's worth, here's my opinion on the Halo.

First, you must get the latest TE Halo B. It's the latest and greatest for a reason. Unfortunately I haven't seen a way to tell if it's the TE except by turning it on. If it turns and stops, it's not a TE. If it continually spins, it's a TE.

99% of the motor burnouts, from my own personal experience and from those I complained/comiserated to in my frustration, have occured from using black or half black shelled paint. What ends up happening is the IR eye can't see the ball if it's black, so if a half shell ends up with the black side facing the eye, the motor will keep trying to turn and therefore burn out the motor. I had to stop using my favorite rec ball (severe standard) for this reason.

Odyssey has awesome customer service. I overnighted both Halos to them on Monday and enclosed a letter and explaination (I had burned up a chip on the board trying to repair the motor) and they fixed it all for free. All I paid was shipping and handling. Plus, a live person picked up the phone every time I called.

The battery pack does make the Halo VERY top heavy if you don't use a warp feed, but I solved the problem with a simple fix of running the battery cable to a pager pouch strapped to my airtank and improved the balance of the marker astronomically.

Currently, the love of my life is an NYX Matrix, and the Halo is the only thing that can feed it smoothly and consistently. Even an Egg skips a shot or two if the gun isn't completely upright (ACE stops the marker from shooting).

NEwayz, that's my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

P.S. I'm not a junior member, I just screwed up when I registered. I'm 25.

hitech
06-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by No sKiLLz
P.S. I'm not a junior member, I just screwed up when I registered. I'm 25.

BTW, "junior" in member refers to the number of posts, not your age. ;)

cphilip
06-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by No sKiLLz
99% of the motor burnouts, from my own personal experience and from those I complained/comiserated to in my frustration, have occured from using black or half black shelled paint. What ends up happening is the IR eye can't see the ball if it's black, so if a half shell ends up with the black side facing the eye, the motor will keep trying to turn and therefore burn out the motor. I had to stop using my favorite rec ball (severe standard) for this reason.

That is indeed NOT the case MOST of the time. I had one burn out right out of the box with NO use of black paint of any kind. And they DID have bad batches of motors. Made no difference about the paint type.

No sKiLLz
06-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Aaaah. Now I look even dumber. Great. Does anyone have a shoehorn so I can get my foot out of my mouth?

This is a classic example of how I learn everything. I'm going to get a license plate frame that says "Alumni- School of Learning from being a Dumbass"

cphilip
06-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Hehe no its cool! You may indeed be correct that some of them did do it because of that. But I think the 99.9% is the thing that I was challenging. Thats all. But you did bring up a good point though.

BajaBoy
06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
I have one guy shooting a B that was second edition and he prefers it because it pushes harder and keeps up with his race frame better. He refuses to upgrade it until it dies.

can you explain that? im kinda confused, are you saying one of the halo b's push harder on the stack?

im asking this bc you said 2nd edition.. which i thought ment the TE, but then you said he wont upgrade.. which makes me think of the first halo b's.

cphilip
06-10-2003, 02:36 PM
TE is Third Edition

Second Editon was the pulser

but some had trouble with SE as it was double feeding and mashing balls in too hard and jamming. Angels particularty. But thats the reason it pushes harder if the marker can feed it. They softened it up with TE.

No sKiLLz
06-10-2003, 02:37 PM
K. Scratch the 99.9% and just make sure if u get a Halo not to run black paint. I called Halo and they have the warning on their web site, but they didn't include it in the instructions that came in the box. I think I may have saved them a little coin.

TheJester
06-10-2003, 03:07 PM
thanks guys for all your input. it seems as though all the stuff i've been reading about bad stuff happeneing represents a minority, and easiely fixed.