PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on an Emag vs. Speed debate.

Skoad
06-11-2003, 12:21 AM
I got some $$ coming...was hoping to get up there in the high end gun craze.

I always had my eye on an emag but that new fangled speed came out and it looked interesting. I have played against ir3's before and they are quite nice. I have seen NOONE use an emag yet.

I'm still leaning toward an emag just on the basis its an AGD product, has backup mech mode, and i own a classic and its a tank.

I wish there was a way i could get my hands on an emag just to dry fire or fiddle with just for a few moments so i could make the decision final.

Anyone in the st louis area with an emag play on saturdays? And what field do you frequent, i just wanna check one out for a bit ;)

what do ya'll think?

Hoplon
06-11-2003, 01:34 AM
I have a question about the speed i'd like answered myself.

Will the bolt pinch like a Viking or is the new low pressure just for hype like the "14 way"?

If you like your mag you'd love an emag. It's a bit on the heavy side but the trigger is awesome.

So far i love my emag. This gun has fit me better than any gun i've ever tried to date.

Frank (the spank)
06-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Thw weight issue can be taken care of.

On my E-Mag I got a ULE body and a Dye Ultralight Boomstick: http://home.pacbell.net/zoraks/ulemag.jpg

The stock barrel on the Speed sucks, so that will need to be upgraded anyways, but you will want to buy the ULE body on the E-Mag, I love mine and it looks slick. Half the weight of the steel one.

As far as performance, my friends said I was stupid for buying a E-Mag when I could have bought a Speed and they didn't understand how AGD was still in business. Then they shot my E-mag and on the field I out shot all their Angel Speeds.. they retracted those statements, lol. Also my E-Mag has not had ONE single problem, my buddies Speeds.. 1 had really bad shootdown which he fixed, another had a wierd problem where it would go full auto when he would touch the barrel, hehehe

They are new guns so yeah you gotta work out the bugs, you will have to work the bugs out of your lvl X at first as well.. but it was funny when they bashed my E-Mag and the next game one of them had to call themselves out because their gun was out of control.

Both are great guns, I have been a mag user for a long time and thats because I believe AGD makes the best gun.

Skoad
06-11-2003, 02:26 AM
yea another plus to the emag is i already have a ULE body. i just am hoping it will come with other ule parts.

Frank (the spank)
06-11-2003, 02:43 AM
it will come with the ule frame, not the rail...

gibby
06-11-2003, 10:23 AM
VERY NICE EMAG FRANK!!!

I definitely have to get myself one of those ULE bodies!! :)

athomas
06-13-2003, 08:54 AM
You'll love the emag. I have had guys shoot mine and claim "It's just wicked fast and shoots darts".

These are guys that normally shoot timmys, impulses, matrixes and angels. Everyone that sees it in operation comments on the emags ability to maintain a steady consistent stream of paint.

JEDI
06-13-2003, 09:12 AM
This is a tough one for me too. I have one of the sweetest Emags you'll ever see. Full ULE everything. I put so much into this gun. I just cant seem to get it to rip as fast as I can with some of the newer stuff (Matrix, Speed). I've owned it for more than a year now. Tried several trigger set ups. Now I have it up for sale in the marker section, and I'm considering a Speed. Some small part of me isn't sure about selling it. I think I might just need a change.

My Emag: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86628

:confused:

KamikazeChiKenz
06-13-2003, 10:02 AM
I was debating over the same thing. I wasn't going to get the speed but I was debating on whether to get a custom Matrix, EBlade cocker or ULE Emag. I sent my money to Tunaman two days ago for the Emag :D. I'm sure I made the right choice. I'll post some pics up when I get it.

covadsucks
06-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Great looking marker there Frank. I think I may have to get me one of those as well.

p8ntballsnowman
06-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Frank=show off :D

Jack & Coke
06-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by KamikazeChiKenz
I sent my money to Tunaman two days ago for the Emag :D. I'm sure I made the right choice. I'll post some pics up when I get it.

Me too! :) I have a Tuna-ULE-Emax coming soon.... wooo hooo!!

Hopefully next week *crosses fingers*

I'll definately post pics and test results as soon as I get the marker.

:cool:

Evil Bob
06-13-2003, 05:21 PM
Tuna does good work, you won't be disappointed ;)

-Evil Bob

halo13
06-13-2003, 09:05 PM
I’ll play devil’s advocate for a second and tell you to go for an IR3. I’ve owned an emag and now I have an IR3. I like the Angel a lot more. I think the trigger is a lot better, a lot less temperamental. I always seemed to have trouble with the sensing range of the magnetic rigger. I think the Angels also look a lot better than the Emag. Both guns are just as accurate, they are both very consistent. They are also roughly the same size. The only main differences are the weight, the emag is heavier. As I said before the angel is a lot cleaner than the emag. Plus the Angel is a lot more adjustable in terms of dwell setting, COPS, ect. Although there is that feature of the RT mode in the emag it just seemed to be something that I never used. As long as your not a moron and forget to charge your gun you should be fine.

As far as Hoplon's question about low pressure, I think (don't take what i write as absolute trouth, I could be wrong here) that the low pressure aspect of the Speed just refers to the input pressure that the speed requires.

oneshot
06-13-2003, 09:21 PM
between a normal emag and a speed I would pick the speed.

The speed has alot of promising features.

The emag has level 10 on the other hand, but is heavier.

I had a emag at one time, I broke paint on occasion and it was heavy somewhat, then my friend let me use his matrix, and I was hooked, I might come back into the mag family when the wait is less for a Xmag.

I am impressed with the speed. I am pre-ordering a dark speed in a few days .

go for the speed.

FeelTheRT
06-14-2003, 07:32 AM
why not a Timmy? They are light, they look tight, they are one of the most efficient guns, and they are one of hte truly fastest guns out there. I meen it, they totaly rip with a WAS board and eye. For the price your willing to spend for a Speed, you can purchase a used classic or GZ and put a WAS board into it.

Pvt.Opium
06-14-2003, 02:20 PM
EMAG EMAG EMAG!!!! Not only is it AGD product you have all of us to help with tech problems!!!!! i have held the speed though and it is very vice. I would stay with my Emag over a speed or a Ir3 Just cause i love LX Emag warped :) its all uup to what you really preffer! Good Luck!!

OfGodAndGlory
06-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I have fired a couple of emags and i love them.

minimag187
06-14-2003, 05:47 PM
And Ill be happy with my Trauma Freeflow LCD Matrix when it arrives on thursday :D :D :D

FutureMagOwner
06-14-2003, 06:00 PM
my emag has no ule products on it at all at the moment(my slug body isnt milled and i dont got a drill bit large enough to tap it for a ball detent myself so i put the old bod on) and it is light.

all i can say is get the emag i have an emag i had an impulse i had a standard mag, a cocker, tried many ir3 angels(in stores and when i was fixing a guys max flow he had on it)a gz on the way and i can say the emag is the fastest gun i have used and whenever i goto the field everyone says "holy crap its that guy with the emag!!!" quite simply i love my emag its the best gun i could have ever purchased and i will use it for years to come i believe

halo13
06-14-2003, 10:43 PM
I'll just write this and let my opinion be. I think, and many people will agree that all the high end guns are increadibly similar. They are all just as accurate just as consistant,just as fast and they all have a good customer support base. What it all boils down to is looks and how much money you are willing to put into the gun. A lot of times the Emag will require the most amount of aftermarket work (I can complain more about this later) then the Matrix, then the Angel and Timmy.

I really wouldn't listen to anything on this forum has to say because the one who has to live with the decision is you. Just try to play (not just hold) every gun you can because flaws and perks don't come out until you have used a gun for a while.

Also, don't buy a gun just because people are impressed by it. There will always be people who are shocked and people who really won't like your gun. As for me, I respect other high end markers but I'm not intimidated by them.

p8ntballsnowman
06-15-2003, 05:50 PM
But the E mag also has the advantage of being able to have ur batteries die, and still being able to shoot with all the other advantages.

JAM
06-16-2003, 04:33 PM
very subjective, but I've owned both and i liked shooting the angel a lot better, it was lighter and a lot faster. they are both awesome guns. If you have a classic mag, you'll robably be very comfortable making the move to an emag as it's valve and general design are the same. emags are tanks- as far as reliability.

But, has anyone actually had their batteries die in a game and switched to mechanical? I never found that was good for anything other than showing off to friends.

~WarpedRT#2~
06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Actually, I'm replacing the board in my E-Mag, and Until I get another, I'm using mechanical mode. It works great, and the pull in mech. mode is actually really light.

Evil Bob
06-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JAM

But, has anyone actually had their batteries die in a game and switched to mechanical? I never found that was good for anything other than showing off to friends.

As a matter of fact, yes, this last weekend, I had the battery go dead on me. Left the charger at home saturday morning by mistake (that's what happens when you get in a hurry to leave and you're being distracted by your wife, who really doesn't want you to go play paintball in the first place) and it had been since the weekend before that it was charged, I had planned to charge it in the car on the way to the field (hour and a half drive that day). Stopped at a gas station 20 mins from home to fuel up and plug in the charger when I noticed that I didn't have the charger, I could either drive straight there or be almost an hour late with the turn around time going back home to retrieve the charger (which I now suspect was an evil plot by my wife to kill my day of paintball!).

Played 5 games and then the dreaded "LOW" appeared in the LED window with no way to recharge it. It got so low the solenoid would not trip and I was unable to power my warp and HALO, finished out that game loading single shots. Bought some batteries from the field for the HALO, removed my warp and switch to my CF ULE BODY and ULE rail, and finished the day (another 4 games) playing mechanical instead of packing up and heading home.

-Evil Bob

wobbles82
06-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Actually I have a good question, how light are them ULE E's? I havent held one yet, but are they lighter than say a Fly or an IR3? Or a 2k2 Timmy? If ya know just post it!

magman109
06-16-2003, 08:19 PM
hey skoad im from st louis n im plannin on goin this saturday to either bushwhackers or xtreme. if ur there u can try my emag out to see if u like it.

athomas
06-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by halo13
A lot of times the Emag will require the most amount of aftermarket work (I can complain more about this later) then the Matrix, then the Angel and Timmy.

Emags generally require no aftermarket work. Just oil regularly before each day of play and go have some fun. Parts don't usually wear out unless you put unauthorized "upgrades" on. If you purchase almost every other electronic marker on the market someone will tell you need a special part to make it perform. Not the emag. It performs at it maximum right out of the box.

Many people actually complain that there is not enough aftermarket parts available for the mag. That's because there is no market for them. How can you make the marker faster. Its already the fastest marker on the planet. It never fails so you never need to replace damaged parts.

If you like to tinker and wonder if it is going to perform then any other electronic marker will do. If you want to play all the time and not worry if you will need to carry a backup marker to the field with you, then get an emag.

Jack & Coke
06-16-2003, 10:01 PM
I agree... I think mags used to be the most boring gun.

Before L10 and iFrame, there was nothing "after-market" which you could buy that actually made it better.

sps16
06-16-2003, 10:07 PM
i'm just curious, anyone have a pic of the tunaman e-mag or emax, whatever its called?

halo13
06-17-2003, 07:58 AM
No after market work, what are you talking about? If someone were to buy a stock emag they will probably buy some sort of new body, a lvl 10 bolt, an X-valve, and possibly a new bord and probably a warp. That’s a lot of stuff you have to buy to make the emag perform to best of its ability.

WarBUCKs
06-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Just today (I think) Cybererious (sp?) wrote this about the Speed:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86281&pagenumber=2

Look through the post and check out where he talks about breaking balls with the speed.

If this was posted previously.. ignore me.

athomas
06-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by halo13
No after market work, what are you talking about? If someone were to buy a stock emag they will probably buy some sort of new body, a lvl 10 bolt, an X-valve, and possibly a new bord and probably a warp. That’s a lot of stuff you have to buy to make the emag perform to best of its ability.

When you purchase a new emag you have the option of getting what ever body you want. The body is based on your playing or asthetic preference and have no bearing on gun performance. The bodies are interchangeable. Most other guns don't have any interchangeable bodies because the bodies are the gun. The emag comes stock with the X-valve and the level 10. You don't need a new board and there aren't many on the market for that very reason. How many other brand gun users do you know that have an aftermarket board (usually WAS)? Lots because there is a market for other guns.

The warp is for use on any gun, emag or angel, to keep the hopper low.

I have lots of friends that have angels and love them. I think the angel is a great gun. I just love the emag because its a near perfect gun if you just want to play at your highest level and not have to worry about breakdowns.

halo13
06-17-2003, 09:42 PM
where can you buy an emag that comes standard with an x-valve and a ULE body? Also, I think you can still pick up a morlock bord for the emag, I was about to before I sold mine.

Wicked Air sportz only makes bords for the intimidator and the AKA line of electros. I actually don't know many people who have different bords in their guns. Do you?

By the way, its a good thing when there's aftermarket support for markers, not a bad.

Skoad
06-17-2003, 11:06 PM
The emag comes stock with the X-valve and the level 10.

he didn't say ULE body.

and who cares if there isn't aftermarket stuff out there. Now you don't have to spend an extra 300 bucks on parts to make it shoot well.

seizurepants
06-17-2003, 11:12 PM
I love emags because they are the most reliable electro marker. If the electro fails you, have the RT mode.

athomas
06-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Skoad

he didn't say ULE body.

and who cares if there isn't aftermarket stuff out there. Now you don't have to spend an extra 300 bucks on parts to make it shoot well.

Actually, I heard you can get the new ones with the ULE body already installed for a few dollars more ($40.00 I think). I could be wrong though.