PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a hangover cure...

breg
06-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Well, I did it up last night, and I'm feeling it today. Any good cures for a hang over?

By the way, I don't work til friday. I never drink on a work night
(We all know the best way to avoid hangovers is not to drink, but what fun is that?)

Big'n slo
06-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Lots of water and greasy fast food....

I only drink on days that end in Y :cool:

lopxtc
06-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Take a shot of whatever you were drinking last night.

Aaron

Big'n slo
06-11-2003, 02:29 PM
"Hair of the dog...." eh?

digitard
06-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Before you go to bed ... take 4 200mg Ibuprofrin and 2 500mg Tylenol and drink like 3 glasses of water (more if ya can)

The main cause of headaches is Dehydration while you sleep due to the alcohol ... so fill up on water and take some medicine and you should be kosher!

Nothing ya can do about the next day bathroom run though..lol

Dave

breg
06-11-2003, 02:34 PM
If I was to take a drink of everything that I drank last night I'd be drunk all over again

the list is impressive:
Patron Silver (GooooooooD tequillia)
Guiness
jello shots
Bud Light
Long Islands.
Crown Royal Special Reserve

LittMag
06-11-2003, 02:36 PM
WATER! Gatorade.

If you're feelin queezy some flat Coke (not pepsi) always helps.

breg
06-11-2003, 02:39 PM
I'll have to remember the flat coke thing. One night I did something really stupid: I thoght it would be fun to drink a 12 pack of Triple Black. I was never so hung over. Water actually made me hurl.

gimp
06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with digitard here, I dont think you should mix medicines when you've been drinking. The key to hangovers is preventive maintenance. Drink water before you go to sleep. I usually wake up at like 5 in the morning cause I gotta take a leak. I drink a butt load of water then, and then have some ibuprofen and go back to bed. By the time I wake up I'm doing allright.

Ultimator
06-11-2003, 04:03 PM
All of the above are just urban myths. There's really nothing to cure a hangover, the reason you feel crappy is because there is still alcohol in your blood stream. The only way to get rid of it is by naturally disposing of it (peeing.) So the people who said drink a lot of water were sort of on the right track.

Jazzman
06-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by digitard
Before you go to bed ... take 4 200mg Ibuprofrin and 2 500mg Tylenol and drink like 3 glasses of water (more if ya can)

It's generally a bad idea to take painkillers while you're still drunk. It's real tough on the liver.

Lots and lots of water before, during, and after the bar.

A bloody mary first thing in the morning will take care of a lot of problems. Alcohol is a depressant, so when the effects wear off, your nervous system overcompensates and sends everything into high gear. That's why lights are too bright, voices too lound, and if you've hit it real hard, you get the shakes. So, a lil' hair of the dog subdues your nervous system, bringing everything into check. The tomato juice in the bloody mary contains a lot of anti-oxidants, which will help get rid of the free radicals in your system left over from breaking down the alcohol.

Don't forget "beer before hard, sleep in the yard, hard before beer, you're all clear."

Ah, college.

punkncat
06-11-2003, 05:12 PM
I used to just drink a V8 the next morning.The first 15 mins are hell but after that you feel better.

dave_p
06-11-2003, 06:12 PM
I used to just drink a V8 the next morning.The first 15 mins are hell but after that you feel better.

dang you beat me!
V8 without a doubt will at least help you feel quite a bit better.

_Spork_1
06-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Jazzman

Don't forget "beer before hard, sleep in the yard, hard before beer, you're all clear."

Ah, college.

that's the worst ryhme ever

the real ones are

beer before liquir, you've never been sicker

liquier before beer, you're in the clear

and there's another one about the colors but i forgot it

deathstalker
06-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Ultimator
...the reason you feel crappy is because there is still alcohol in your blood stream. The only way to get rid of it is by naturally disposing of it (peeing.) So the people who said drink a lot of water were sort of on the right track.
Nope; hangover effects are usually at their worst AFTER all the alcohol has been removed from your body by the liver. The reason you feel like crap is because of dehydration and the introduction of congeners in the body. Alcohol is a diuretic, which increases the removal of liquids in the body through urination. Alcohol is very bad at replenishing liquids in the body and this is why you should not drink alcohol in very hot weather. Congeners are produced as part of the fermentation process, and it's very true that some types of alcohol cause worse hangovers than others.

I take a nice fat multi-vitamin (mainly for vitamin B) and at least 32 ounces of water before I pass out after drinking. The only time I get a hangover is when I REALLY overdo it.

You should NEVER take ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), or any other pain killer, even aspirin, when drinking because you might damage your liver or cause internal bleeding. There is also some scientific evidence to back up the "hair of the dog." Because the congeners in your system are causing your hangover, introducing some ethanol (alcohol) helps ease your headache because it helps to neutralize the congeners. All you're really doing is prolonging your hangover, but it won't be as harsh.

When I was getting my psych degree, I came across quite a bit of research dealing with substance abuse and the effects of alcohol were just a few of the things I researched. There are quite a few facts out there if you look and some of them do support some of the urban myths out there.

For example, if you plan to drink a lot, make sure you do it on a full stomach. Most people will agree, but they're usually wrong as to why this works. When you have food in your stomach, the sphincter in your stomach (yes, you have more than one!) closes in order to allow the food to digest. Drinking with food in your stomach allows the alcohol to also remain in your stomach for a longer period of time. The enzymes in your stomach work to neutralize the alcohol.

When I was in college, people thought I researched this stuff because I partied too much, but I hardly drank then. I did most of my drinking in high school.:D

joeyjoe367
06-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Eat some burnt Toast.

They have people who've got alcohol poisoning ingest carbon to neutralize the alcohol (Along with a stomach pump), so the burnt parts of toast are kind of like a milder version of the carbon thingie.

Read that somewhere... not sure if it's true tho. Give it a try anyway.

AutomagRT1483
06-11-2003, 07:58 PM
Asprins were the only things that helped me.

LittMag
06-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Ultimator
All of the above are just urban myths. There's really nothing to cure a hangover, the reason you feel crappy is because there is still alcohol in your blood stream. The only way to get rid of it is by naturally disposing of it (peeing.) So the people who said drink a lot of water were sort of on the right track.

Just to restate, the flat coke thing is not an urban myth. It is taught to the nursing students I know and is used in hospitals for patients with upset stomachs.

quick websearch found
http://alegent.iqhealth.com/atoz/readingroom/Vacationsf.htm

flat coke, ginger ale, or crackers mayhelp to settle an upset stomach

SlipknotX556
06-11-2003, 11:57 PM
I prefer my way to cure a hangover.

Just throw up, till their is nothing left. :D

Fanatic
06-12-2003, 12:08 AM
step one: lift toilet seat

step two: insert head until face touches water

step three: FLUSH

step four: look in mirror and repeat "this was worth it"

Ultimator
06-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Apparently my health teacher had no idea what he was talking about. But it made sense at the time! ;)

Jazzman
06-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by _Spork_1

that's the worst ryhme ever

the real ones are

beer before liquir, you've never been sicker

liquier before beer, you're in the clear

and there's another one about the colors but i forgot it

Apparently you've never spent a night in your yard.

breg
06-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, I went with the most time tested, and sure fire way: just ride it out. It wasn't a good feeling, I felt like some one was hitting my head with hammers at one point. Went for a walk though, that seemed to help. Keep these ideas comming, who knows what might happen tomorrow night.

_Spork_1
06-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Jazzman

Apparently you've never spent a night in your yard.

i would hope i haven't, my parents would be quite mad.....

breg
06-12-2003, 05:31 PM
As long as you've never wake up in the shower... it's no fun

_Spork_1
06-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by breg
As long as you've never wake up in the shower... it's no fun

what about naked in the woods?

breg
06-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by _Spork_1

what about naked in the woods?
Well, as long as you woke alone...

J
06-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I got some advice from my mom, sit in a walk in freezer for 10 minutes, that'll cure anything. I work at a resteraunt, so this one's pretty easy for me to do.

I always drink plenty of water, and I've never had a hangover worst than groggyness... and memory loss... :rolleyes: :) :D

FreshmanBob
06-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Next time drink lots o water, it makes things easier the next day

GT
06-12-2003, 07:32 PM
I have never drank as much as I have post grad at my current job so in order to make it into to work the next day......

I hit the water real hard. I only run for the med cabinet when I can feel my head slamming.

ride it out, take it like a man! Only thing you can do.

jb:cool: