PDA

View Full Version : Wow, what happened to relaxing?

Python14
06-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Okay, I was talking to my dad today and he was asking me what I was doing the rest of the summer. I went down my list. There were a few school related, some church, and one trip. My dad,with a surprised look on his face, asked me why my summer was so busy. I don't know why. And the thing is, summer is no longer a break, it's just a different name for a different stage of work. I have to read 3 books, do 150 AP statistic problems, work on an Eagle Project, attend three college essay workshops, and somehow paint some more of my house. All my friends are in the same boat. None of us have much free time. Megan is stressing out over summer workshops. Another friend had a panic attack because she was put in charge of organizing a whole year of dance team stuff. My best friend has a job which is so inflexible that he's had to cancel everything he is doing this summer because he has to pay for a wrecked car(wasn't his fault though)

Seriously, what happened to summer break? When did it become so rotten and stressfull. On top of all of this, whenever I mention this to my parents, or other people, they tell me that my teenage years are the best of my life. Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life? Stress, loneliness, unhappiness, and seperation? WoW, great future.

AngelBoy
06-11-2003, 10:29 PM
Kinda in the same boat your in, just not as extreme. Mostly its due to my brother being best at everything he has ever done (top of his class in grades, starting quarterback, captain of soccer team, on the youth committee at church, goin to the Air Force Academy, blah blah blah). And now that he just graduated, he wants me to do the same stuff, so he is throwing a bunch of crap into my face this summer that im suppossed to do. He wont grasp the concept of rest, he calls from work every morning at 9am to tell me all this crap that i have to do. But all my friends arent like that, so theyre all doing stuff together while im being volunteered to move all our neighbors crap for them so they can move.

SlipknotX556
06-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Summer has changed over the years for people. Some kids can still just do nothing all summer. But most of us, myself included, have to do school related projects, then we have work. We no longer have time to relax, do nothing. But we do have the occasional time to just to do what we want, like go on vacation, go to the waterpark, play paintball and stuff like that. But 95% of our summer we work.

Jonno06
06-12-2003, 12:36 AM
i have 3 books to read too

dracula, frankenstein, and some housemaids tales or something..i dont even know.

TheBigRaguPB4L
06-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Welcome to the real world.

MantisMag
06-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Python14
On top of all of this, whenever I mention this to my parents, or other people, they tell me that my teenage years are the best of my life.

selective memory

Big'n slo
06-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Enjoy your busy schedule now, it just gets worse.

5 Holidays and two weeks vacation...yippee

shartley
06-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Your folks and others are correct, your teen years can often be the best time of your life. You have all the benefits of being able to do things, yet virtually NO responsibility (believe it or not).

Summer break? LOL If I get a week or two off a year I am fortunate… and even then I usually spend it working on things around the house, running the kids around, etc. When will it all end? RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!! :D

But I have a feeling I will then be spending my time running around for my grandkids! :D

Nope….. you don’t have it bad, and it only gets worse. But that is not always a “bad” thing.

-Carnifex-
06-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Relaxing sucks, I'm already tired of it, wish I had stuff to do like you.

You chose to occupy your free time during summer anyway.

rhetor22
06-12-2003, 03:20 PM
You have to learn to make fun of what you're doing, or chose to do things that are more fun!

Your summer sounds good to me.

I get to pay off my $3,000 debt i owe to my dad! I'll probably be workin 6 or 7 days a week, but for some reason in the summer, its not too much of a pain.

Mango
06-12-2003, 05:01 PM
It's not all work, it's an ADVENTURE!! haha, just keep a positive attitude and have fun with it all. Figure this, unless you hit the lottery you'll be working the rest of your life. If you enjoy what your doing, it's not hard at all. :p

Just make the best of it.

BobTheCow
06-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Yeah I hafta read 2 textbook-resembling books for AP US history, and then 2 novels for honors English... in addition to being gone working at camp from June 21 to August 21 (note my sig)... that leaves like 3 WEEKS AT HOME, which will most likely be spent READING FOR SCHOOL!!!! yikes...

daveymag
06-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Python14
Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of my life? Stress, loneliness, unhappiness, and seperation?
Yes. Welcome to the real world.

SlipknotX556
06-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by daveymag
Welcome to the real world.

Hey isnt that a TV show? :)

AssassN
06-13-2003, 11:01 AM
That's exactly why I've decided my occupation is going to be millionaire when I graduate from college.:D

Python14
06-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Okay, I'm back from the first of several things(lake Junaluska). I got all of my stat done on the bus ride down and got it checked by my youth leader(who has a masters in math). Missed one question because I forgot to include one variable. I read most of Grendel and all of my book on the Federal Reserve. So I've got like half of my summer schoolwork done. I guess things are better than they seemed.

But summer is still kinda shot in the temple for alot of us because of schoo work.

SpongeBobSquarePants
06-15-2003, 06:30 PM
See I don't have this problem. I have absolutly nothing to do. I don't have any school work, Im switching schools so not like it would matter if i did. All I do is sit around all day or go to a friends and play paintball. I truely wish i had a job. I would kill for some money outside of mowing grass. Well a job, or maybe a girlfriend. yea girlfriend that would be sweet. God I'm a loser, who wants to shoot me?

BobTheCow
06-15-2003, 07:24 PM
*raises hand* :D

Darkling
06-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Ouch, that sucks. i know how you feel, though - my summer is worse. I have to read 6 books for my AP classes (English, American Gov., and Environmental Science), write a 7-Page paper on 3 of them, keep and update a "naturalist journal" weekly (whatever the hell that is), do some huge coastal populationo growth case study, do some huge world food shortage case study, learn 20 allusions, and answer questions and provide quotes for every chapter for the other 3 books....oh, and I have a job. OK, sorry, I'll stop complaining now. I just needed to vent...