PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about the 18v Battery

WarBUCKs
06-13-2003, 02:12 AM
I was reading some reviews about a few guns (NYXtreme, E-Orracle) and saw that they only used 9v batteries to operate the gun. So, I thought to myself, "Wow, AGD uses a big 18v battery to run their gun."

So my question to someone who knows:

Why such a big battery? Is the E-mag/X-mag a power hog?

Was this by choice? Was it a preference?

I did a search, but got tired of looking through all the threads, and if this has been brought up before, please send me in the right direction.

It is possible this could be tech question, but I am posting it here. So, eat my shorts. :)

askman
06-13-2003, 08:37 AM
it was by choice. It is possible to set up the mag with 9v solenoid(hyperframe), but it is very finicky and can be very hard to set up, not to mention no battery life.(hyper frame is only good for about 3000 shot) AGD wanted reliability and durability as well as higher shotcount by going to 18v setup with larger battery.

Now with ULE trigger, they may finally be able to come out with grip frame upgrade that can take 9v.

JAM
06-13-2003, 08:54 AM
well, it's mainly because the valve and all wasn't designed as an electro system, so the solenoid needed to operate the sear needs to be big to be reliable. And that large of a solenoid needs a big battery to feed it..
I am intrigued by Tom's future plans that he hinted about in the ULE trigger thread...

ignatz
06-13-2003, 09:12 AM
The EMag manual says that one battery should be good for 20,000 shots. Do the (NYXtreme, E-Orracle) markers get that many shots on a single charge?

The EMag battery also kinda seems like a waste until you realize that you can run both a Warp and a 12V Revvy off of the same battery at the same time and be able to shoot about a case and a half on a single charge before the revvy stops working. The warp and marker will continue to function on the remaining power for about another 1/2 - 3/4 of a case. HTH

askman
06-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Race frame is fairly efficient on battery(patented sear tripping system), but Eclipse e-blade is a battery hog. (9v last about a day of playing) Matrix is not as bad.

Evil Bob
06-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Friend of mine has an eclipse e-blade, he'll go through 6-8 9v's in a tourny. For rec ball, he'll get a good full day off of a single 9v. Seems to be about a case and a half of paint per battery (3,000 rounds). He says 2 cases is pushing it.

I finally talked him into getting some high grade rechargeables, he was spending $5-$30 bucks on batteries a trip. That's alot of brewskies he could be buying at the end of the day.

-Evil Bob

ignatz
06-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Evil Bob - I'm guessing your friend bought some of the standard 9.2V 120 maH NiMH recharable batteries. Does he get better performance shotwise out of them?

AcemanPB
06-13-2003, 10:11 PM
There has been talk of a smaller E-mag 'noid once the new ULE trigger comes out. Smaller noid means smaller battery. Maybe an offical electro AGD grip is in the works?

ULE Battery :D

Evil Bob
06-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Ignatz, he bought some 9.2v 200ma NiMH, I believe he got them at Target, they're EverReadies if I'm not mistaken, I think he said he paid $6 each. You can find better and cheaper on the net, he got them at Target because it was convienent and he didn't have to wait on delivery.

He usually charges up 4 of them for the weekend, he's quite happy with them.

-Evil Bob