PDA

View Full Version : Pump Marker Project

Thorpydo
06-14-2003, 12:48 AM
I think I put my mag together wrong! The valves in the front! How do I fix it?

Heh, It kinda looks like it though, doesn't it?

Anyway, This isn't a mag; it's a pump gun that I'm building. We're still working on the TMCC, another marker were building... The only things left to do on that is a little bit of CAD work and the electronics. I don't have much to do and with summer coming along I'm going to need some more projects. So I thought I'd make a pump gun instead of buying one like I planned (actually planned on buying a cocker body and making the internals, but I don't know how that would have turned out).

It's a dump chamber design using pressure differentials. It's got the potential to be a semi or an electro as well. I think I'll just tell everyone how it works, later. I don't have any plans to make more than one or two anyway.

If you'll notice theres two sections, the metal front and the clear back. Hopefully it wont be too much trouble to make a new different, back, clear piece and have it function like a TMCC. The seem between the two might cause problems though. Might have to make an entire new top piece.

I think its pretty apparent but I'll explain anyway. That is a mag rail/gripframe/ASA. The rail made it so that I can work with cylindrical pieces and the gripframe was good because its pretty easy to mod. I made a new sear and hooked up a spring for tension already but didn't take a picture of it.

I'm going to be gone for a week.. Won't be able to work on it or post on here but I'll get by:cool:. I've got a higher resolution camera that I can take pictures with when its done, and also film, if you guys are interested. Thats a ways off though.

I think thats it.

Thorpydo
06-14-2003, 12:51 AM

WickeDKlowN
06-14-2003, 02:47 AM
2 Questions:
1) Why do you have a revvy on a PUMP? letalone a pump that isnt even finished, hehe ;)
2)What kinda threads does it have? The mag Twist-Lock's?

NuthyN
06-14-2003, 09:48 AM
many pump players have been known to play with revies or ricos

aut911
06-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey, thats kinda cool! I kind of thought of the same idea, thats make a marker utilising parts from other markers. I like it.

aut

Thorpydo
06-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Hey, I'm back.

The gripframe/ASA/rail are from a mag but the rest is from scratch.

I don't own just a plain old VL.. only a revy.

It uses cocker threads.

Thorpydo
06-24-2003, 11:02 AM
This is just before the third day of work. It's coming along nice, and I like just kinda going along with it as opposed to having everything drawn up in Pro/E (cad program) and sticking to the drawings.

There's four more pieces that need to be made. They are all on going to be made on the lathe but need to fit well together as there are o-rings involved. I hope to finish today; if not tommorow for sure. Then troubleshooting... hate that part...

Thorpydo
06-24-2003, 11:03 AM

Catch22
06-25-2003, 03:09 AM
Looking good. I see you finally got the drilling through plastic done w/o problems. Looking good keep at it. Maybe you could sell cool clear pump handles. or not...

Wc Keep
06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
looks good bro! nice to see those parts being put to good use.

Thorpydo
06-26-2003, 12:21 AM
Ok,

I'm like 90% done but that last 10% is the tricky part and probably why I thought I'd be done much sooner.

I need to get a working on/off valve, finish the bolt and make the power tube.

The valve sounds simple but I'm building it inside the ASA; so it's got to be small. At first, I was going to just have a piston move inside a hole with three o-rings on it. I couldn't get it to fit inside the ASA and still have room to move back and forth, for the stroke. Next option was... blah, I'll just show you:

Thorpydo
06-26-2003, 12:33 AM
It's probably pretty hard to understand due to the low picture quality. Those two outside pieces are just there to seal and the middle moves. It's either over a the input hole or its not.

I forgot to drill a hole through it so that air pressure would be on both sides. Oh well, I'm liking this valve less and less as I go along. I also didnt make the o-ring groove on the bigger piece that fits in the ASA, but I can do that tommorow. All of the valve pieces are a bit too big, and theres not enough travel for the piston.

So I'm scratching that idea and I've got a better one, maybe. It would work similar; It's basically taking out the rear seal and having everything placed properly.

My only concern is how it would feel. You'd pull the pump back, and it'd be forced back, and stay back. You'd then fire, ball goes out and the pump is pushed forward again by a light spring. Dunno how it would feel. Course I've never shot a regular pump, so I don't know how that would feel either:).

bjjb99
06-26-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Thorpydo
My only concern is how it would feel. You'd pull the pump back, and it'd be forced back, and stay back. You'd then fire, ball goes out and the pump is pushed forward again by a light spring. Dunno how it would feel. Course I've never shot a regular pump, so I don't know how that would feel either:).

It sounds like it would feel quite different from most any pump I've ever used. You might want to head out to a local paintball store and ask if they'd let you fire some CO2 through their pumps to get a feel for how the action is.

Some pumps have a return spring on them, and some don't. I can't think of any modern pump where the pump arm stays back prior to firing; yours is definitely a different approach.

BJJB

Thorpydo
06-26-2003, 11:55 AM
yours is definitely a different approach.

Well, sorta. For a pump I guess; I learned last night that this and shocker03 and mayhem work very similar. Oh well, doesn't matter too much, and mines a pump:). Tickled that I can up with something that professional engineers are coming up with, but dissapointed that its not something different.