PDA

View Full Version : PIPE vs SCEPTER

Cryer
06-14-2003, 07:40 PM
ok. I've narrowed my choices of barrel kits down to 3:
Evil Pipe 5-back kit- $175
Powerlyte Scepter 3-insert kit- $136
The scepter also is available with 5 inserts for $166, but if I spend that much, I might as well get the PIPE anyways, right?

Those of you with experience please see if you can help persuade me to a final decision...
The main things that are keeping me from making a final decision (in order) are:

1)Number of bores,
2)Backs vs inserts,
3)Price, and
4)Color

Which is a better value? Should I sacrifice 2 bore-sizes for $30-$40? Also, is it worth the extra $ for solid backs as opposed to inserts? Finally, I know that this is trivial :rolleyes:, but you have to look good whilst putting the hurt on someone: I've seen the PIPEs first hand, and I know they are available in gloss black. I've heard that Scepters are available only in dust. I've also heard that you can get gloss, but you would have to custom order it...

Anyways, any input is appreciated.

SlipknotX556
06-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Pipe.

logamus
06-14-2003, 08:17 PM
not to be off track too much, but did you try equation? (http://www.equationusa.com/index.html) i hear their stuff is pretty good but i have not personally used it. judging by their website you get lots of customization with their barrels.

Remington
06-14-2003, 08:21 PM
If you're interested in the Equation, Mossman is trying to sell his and I'm sure he could hook you up. :D

Cryer
06-14-2003, 08:24 PM
I did give some thought to equations, but they don't make barrels in 14". Only like 8, 10, and 12... I prefer 14.

Also, I don't really want one like the Freak with inserts. (the only reason I'm considering the Scepter is that their inserts supposedly lock into place differently than the Freak, making them more stable and less suceptible to 'float around'.)

Peach
06-14-2003, 10:06 PM
The freak inserts don't float around... It's practically impossible to get mine out after putting paint through it. I have to jam my finger in there... then try to get finger out of the barrel.

Cryer
06-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Peach
The freak inserts don't float around... It's practically impossible to get mine out after putting paint through it. I have to jam my finger in there... then try to get finger out of the barrel.
I've just hear from an alarming number of people that they've had that problem with the freak. maybe it was a bad batch...I just don't wan tto mess with it. Plus, every one has a freak. I want to be at least a little unique...:p

Peach
06-14-2003, 10:12 PM
I'd go with the pipe... Look ncie and are very good. I was going to get a pipe, but I already had a twist lock freak and I could just get new backs when I switched to ULE body, or another marker. Pipes are statisticly better then the freaks due to design, but the scepter doesn't seem like the ideal system, for me anyways.

NCpaintballer
06-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Scepters are available in Gloss Black. That is their standard color.

aaron_mag
06-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Where can you order a 5 insert scepter for $166???? I've only seen them on the powerlyte website for $210? Info appreciated...

Cryer
06-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by aaron_mag
Where can you order a 5 insert scepter for $166???? I've only seen them on the powerlyte website for $210? Info appreciated...

PM the guy above you...:p He the one that sells them at that price.

gadget68
06-15-2003, 05:22 PM
I own a Powerlyte scepter 5 piece 14inch barrel kit. You are absolutly correct on the inserts. They do lock into place. Also they are a stronger piece than other insert barrels. I own A stainless back with a gloss black front. By getting this system it is like buying a DYE Boomstick freak system. I persoally like the insert idea rather than a entire barrel set up.
Accuracy is dead on.
So in my opinion. The pipe looks nice but to bulky for my taste. From expiriance the Scepter looks great and the inserts I feel are the best on the market.
I hope this helps your decission process.

Cryer
06-15-2003, 05:34 PM
What about the number of inserts? would I be better off getting 3 or 5? (do I need all 5?)

NCpaintballer
06-15-2003, 05:40 PM
It really depends on the variety of paints you shoot. Our store carries Diablo, Zap, PMI, & Nelson paints. I'll be honest I've never used my .684 insert and I've only used the .692 once. I was shooting Anarchy at the last tourney and it was about 90 degress with close to 100% humidity. That is one time in about a year that I've ever used it. It all depends on the types of paint you shoot. If you go with a 3 bore kit you can chose which 3 inserts you want.

Cryer
06-15-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by NCpaintballer
...If you go with a 3 bore kit you can chose which 3 inserts you want.

That offers a lot of comfort. I thought you had 3 specific inserts you include and you pay extra for the other 2.

I'm leaning more to the scepter, as price has become a larger factor, now.

IcantBelieveit
06-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Well i think the 2 best kits out are the Scepter and Pipe
I had a freak, the inserts were inconsistant, and my buddy had one and it chopped paint like crazy. soo i have a bad tast with the freak
Another set you might want to look at is the CP Barrel set, and buddy of mine has one for his cocker, and it shoots darts. And a buddy of mne had a scepter on his timmy and it shoots darts, and i am gonna be running a pipe on my mag and tribal. soo it comes down to how much you want to spend, and how you want is setup
Scepter and Pipe, are equal if you ask me; performance wise

Cryer
06-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by IcantBelieveit
...I had a freak, the inserts were inconsistant, and my buddy had one and it chopped paint like crazy...
I had heard from alot of people with this problem. That is what is keeping me from getting a freak.

Originally posted by IcantBelieveit
Another set you might want to look at is the CP Barrel set...
I have also heard some bad things about CP. A friend of mine lives in Phoenix AZ (CP is in pheonix, too). Every one around there tells him that the only way to get a good CP barrel is to go to the factory and have them custom make you one. If you buy one of the mass-produced barrels, then it's not as good of quality. I don't know how true this is, but it makes me weary nonetheless.

Ryknow
06-15-2003, 08:41 PM
I would say out of those 2 get a scpeter, but, try the Equation. I got mine after it took Evil 2 months to get a barrel, to me... o wait, its still not here. But the Equation can be a 14" barrel, or 16, or 18, or 20, or 22, or 24, or 26, etc. You get the idea.

darklord
06-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Scepter=ownage. I have one and love it to death, got the 5 insert set for $180 shipped. If you can, get the scepter.

spider54
06-16-2003, 12:59 AM
i would definantly have to go with the pipe, i personally dislike the idea of having sleeves... they scare the bejesus out of me, bend it and ur screwed, however with the solid back u dont have to worry bout it.... evil makes good products, they look good, function great, and are definantly worth the money.... i have a pipe for my cocker and pulse

adam shannon
06-16-2003, 03:10 AM
ok, all the inserts are scary talk has me riled up. has anybody actually bent their inserts thru normal use...not having a linebacker step on it wearing lead shoes, or slamming one in a car door?

if you have multiple markers....like cocker threads and a spyder or tippmann as a backup why have to buy 10 backs to run 2 markers (i have 3, so i would need 15 backs to run a pipe on all of them). any insert barrel kit is way better if you change markers or have a couple and use the same tips and inserts just having to buy a new back. i have had the same freak kit for the last 5 markers ive owned over the last 3 years...just buy a new back for $50 and you can use the same tips and inserts. i play over 50 times a year and havent even worn the writing off the freak inserts...let alone managed to break one. news flash they make small plastic boxes normally used for storing nuts and bolts that will hold, transport, and surprisingly enough protect your inserts from damage from large flat footed people who wear large wooden shoes.

pick the barrel kit you like...just dont rule one out because your swayed by internet urban legends about how easy it is to bend an aluminum tube.

Grey_Goose
06-16-2003, 07:18 AM
ditto. adam shannon has it dead on.

cphilip
06-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Two misstatements in this thread. One of which has been metioned and cleared up but I repeat....

The Scepter does come in Gloss Black. I got one.

The Scepter does have a 14" tip option. I chose the 12" myself.

I chose to try a 14" in the Equation.

I now own a Scepter and a Equation. Seem like both made very well. Not shot either one of them yet but they both get good reports from the people that use them.

I have owned several freaks that also worked very well. And of course I had a case with mine to store the inserts. But in all the ones I have ever seen I have never seen any one damage an insert. We have like 7 or 8 of them at our field. All work well.

ignatz
06-16-2003, 09:09 AM
I have a 5 insert Scepter kit and love it. I have the gloss black 12" tip with a Stainless back. The only things I would change are; I wish I'd gotten the aluminum back and I wish it had a hard case.

Evil Bob
06-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Which ever set you eventually decide to go with, I highly advise spending the extra dough and going with 5 backs/inserts over 3 for the flexibility, especially if you play tourny ball or rec ball at fields that don't allow you to bring your own paint, this will allow you to shoot garbage paint (.695) without too many problems.

I've bought paint at tourny sites where they gave you three choices, crap, crap and crap, they set aside the good stuff for someone else. I've also played at rec sites that sold only garbage paint and wouldn't let you bring your own in (they sold it for $90 a case when I know they bought the crap for $30).

-Evil Bob

spider54
06-16-2003, 06:16 PM
:rolleyes: with all that said, i still recommend the pipe.... safer choice with teh backs, and I think it is manufactured at better quality