PDA

View Full Version : Owning a high end gun sucks!

eric
06-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Anybody else agree? I'm not saying that I dont like my gun, or that id rather have a cheaper gun, but I hate walkin around totin an angel. All the adults look at you like "Stupid rich kid"(even though I paid for my gun) and all the newbie kids are like "Woah thats pretty cool, what kind of gun is it, can i shoot it?" I dont mind letting people shoot my gun or holding it or nething, but after a while it just kinda gets annoying.

Quickling
06-14-2003, 11:12 PM
yeah...my cocker really turns heads its hard cuase everyone is always grabbing for it... or thinking cause I have it Im some pro.. so half the newbies wont play with me.

Even better about a month ago DaisyDuke and I were playing and I was working on her Rainmaker so she was waiting in the staging line with my cocker.. the kids were like whoa... thats cool, your a good player (note she hadn't played yet).

Then I finished working on her RM so I got my cocker back.. we still hadn't played yet but in the next staging line the same kid looked at Daisy and said pointing at me.. "he's very good, but your not." Note the lil punk never saw us play (cause we hadn't yet).. it was like whomever held the cocker was god and who didn't sucked in their eyes... seesh

then when I whip out my PGP everyone ones like "whats that? your actually playing with that? Your insane!"

06-14-2003, 11:22 PM
It should not be an issue if you have the skills to go with the gun.

hAppy
06-14-2003, 11:33 PM
dang dude i wish everyone thinks the same way as you
the snotty rich kids are the ones that suck
but if people assume that of you, thats just cus theyre jealous
just prove to them that you have the same skill w/ a blowback as a high end

mag-hatter
06-14-2003, 11:33 PM
im pretty sure you're wrong because no matter how good you are, people will still mutter under their breath "damn rich kid"

deathstalker
06-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Quickling
then when I whip out my PGP everyone ones like "whats that? your actually playing with that? Your insane!"
Do they ask you far how it shoots too? That's usually the second question I'm asked when I pull out mine. Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right.:D

I've noticed I get treated that way too. I will be the first to proclaim that I suck, but the way I dress and the particular marker I'm using result in different treatment.

Automaggin2
06-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Yea, i love going to fields and intimidated people. I'm trying to get away from recball, im trying to move more into the tournament scene now. I try to practice with people of my level or higher.

Ov3rmind
06-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Hm, well I don't mind letting people try out my Cocker honestly. I've also never heard anyone call me a "damn rich kid". Then again, most of the regulars atleast know who I am and I try to keep a friendly attitude towards everyone. On top of that, I also DO buy all my own crap, and most parents I see around the place don't know the value of most of the guns anyway.

adam shannon
06-15-2003, 12:33 AM
thats why i love my mag. i dont play tourneys just walk on open games. i dont wear a jersey or paintball pants...just running shorts and a t-shirt. nobody in ne ohio uses mags or respects them at the field i play...so even with my SFL ( i tell em "its just a mag" ) i get more kids wowing over the evo2 than the marker. after all the kids with spyders and flashy dye jerseys get picked i make sure i get teamed up with any kids that actually use mags and we own all suckers.

rudy6732
06-15-2003, 12:33 AM
i have to say when i went rec-balling i got more compliments on my tunamag then my friend who had a brand new angel speed.

Carbon
06-15-2003, 12:39 AM
Blah Blah Blah! Piss and moan. If you gotta whine about owning a high end gun then play with a "cheaper" semi. I mean jeez, stop playing with a jersey, and other esoteric pball wear. Let them think your some chump with a 1k setup. Fact of the matter is, you bought a 1.5k gun, somwheres deep down in your subconsious you "want" people to say "oh hes got a nice gun." Kinda how like all artist are by nature show offs. Your gonna get discrimninated, wether your rich or poor.

What yall gotta understand is that people grow. Eventually as you obviouslly realize, those noobs, in +3 years are not gonna give a *EDIT* Get back on your soapbox and wash your mouth out. There is NO cussing or cicumvention of the filters allowed here. You agreed to the rules, so follow them. Army what you shoot.

If you are really having trouble of how people think about you or your setup.... The problem is YOU, not your setup. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be noticed, ya just gotta realize there are subtle and overt ways to do it.

After playing a long enough time you realize all that crap is something you leave behind, stuff that in reallity, is trivial. It all comes down to why you play the game. Is it to be noticed or to have fun or both? You just gotta be honest with yourself.

So recap... What people think of you = who cares.

Ok im off the soap box:D

breg
06-15-2003, 12:55 AM
Everyone always asks about my Mag. I really don't get tired of it.
But what's strange is that the markers I get really excicted over are the ones most folks would not gives a second glance. I got to shoot and old school Sniper or Sniper 2. The owner said it was a late 80" vintage. I really don't know since I know jack and crap about WGP markers. But of all the things, that was what I got the most excited over.
Everyone has Cockers, Mags, and Angels. But not everyone has a Sniper that is so old that there are no ball detents.

SlipknotX556
06-15-2003, 01:20 AM
I dont mind having a 1 grand gun, when people say my parents bought it for me, I dont care if they say it, I just keep walking or dont reply. As for other people asking to shoot my gun, I let them its really no big deal. When another person says "Did you parents buy you that gun rich boy?" or any other kind of remark like that just dont respond to them, you know that YOU worked hard for that gun.

RT pRo AuToMaG
06-15-2003, 01:29 AM
I have a few problems with any guns over $500 at my field. The biggest problem for me is people picking up my gun and pulling the trigger, because I love to have my triggers super light and super short, and lets just say I don't always remember to turn off my gun or put on the safety, so people just pick my gun up, pull the trigger, and then "oops, sorry man." and there I am cleaning out my barrel and barrel condom. Another thing, is that if I ever play with the rec kids, they think I'm like the best player ever because I carry 6 pods, have a nice gun, and wear a jersey, when the truth is, I'm pretty bad, especially when I'm playing with people who don't move. I can remember last rec game I played I had about 7 people on my team, I said I'll stay in back to cover, we brake, I have about 5 guys in the back with me, of course they push me back and I get shot out, but not before I run outta air...

well i'm done ranting.

Lethargic
06-15-2003, 02:40 AM
i was just thinking about this today actually.

I went down to Pendleton Paintball in CA with my little bro and my friend. Me and my friend both have original RT mags, but I have a z-grip and warp, while he has an intelli.

All day I had people, even some with more expensive guns asking me constantly about my gun, the warp, how I modded it, etc. Usually this doesnt happen to me at the fields I normally play at, with everyone worshipping the shiney chrome guns, so it was actually a lot of fun.

I could easily see how it would get old though... I almost missed a few games because so many people were wanting to hold/shoot/touch my mag.

DementedRabbit
06-15-2003, 03:50 AM
Yes, that sounds like a terrible burden.

Benfica4ever
06-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Well i remember a long time ago me and my freinds dident want to play with the kid with a mag becuase we thougt it would hurt sooooo much. But when we acually played with him he really sucked.

minimag187
06-15-2003, 10:36 AM
The RT is probably a burden itself, lol.

KamikazeChiKenz
06-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Guys, the best way to deal with jealous people that make comments about you owning expensive guns, or the old comment about "Rich snob, your parents bought that for you didn't they?" is purchase an old steel barrel for pretty cheap. First you are going to want something with good length to get enough leverage, second it doesn't matter what threads it has and third when some little punk makes a rude remark to you just crack him over his head with your barrel. Now prior to doing this I would recommend getting good legal representation. :D

Legal disclaimer: the author takes no responsibility for any actions related to what you have just read here

Jazzman
06-15-2003, 01:27 PM
The problem fixes itself once you get older. Then people just equate skill with good gear. :rolleyes:

I've been on the other side of it. No offense to the younger members of the board, but when I see a younger player (10-12 years old) with full blown Dye gear and an Angel, I have to wonder. Hey it's great if their parents are that supportive of their hobbies, but wow. On the other hand, if you've ever played youth hockey, you know that equipment and ice time are major $$$, and I've never seen this argument come up there.

On a similar note, I've noticed that people tend to think that your skill level is directly proportional to the size of your harness. This has it's downside, as I've heard players I've shot out complain that the only reason I got them was because I had more paint.

Excuses, excuses.

I played the rest of the day with just the hopper, with similar results.

irbodden
06-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by adam shannon
thats why i love my mag. i dont play tourneys just walk on open games. i dont wear a jersey or paintball pants...just running shorts and a t-shirt. nobody in ne ohio uses mags or respects them at the field i play...

Where do you play?

TigerMan
06-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Oh man don't get me started on this whole issue of being pestred because of what marker you own. I use an Angel LCD, so naturally all newer players think it's like the ultimate gun. Basicly everytime I've played with it at the field, before I can even put my stuff down at least one person has come up to me asking to shoot it, or the other forsaken question of how much did it cost. I swear it happens everytime, all day.

Just ask personman, he's seen what they do to me. ;) I've gotten used to it really, I've even contemplated just putting a stick FAQ on my hopper so they'd stop asking the same questions. :p But really I guess it just comes with the territory if you own a higher end gun and are going to be playing amongst newer players.

TheJester
06-15-2003, 11:04 PM
yea, i hate being choosen on a team because i have a cool gun. and when people ask how much it cost...i just say too much

GT
06-15-2003, 11:13 PM
when I first started playing I had a m98, bigaz drop and a flatline. the newbs would ask what gun it was, when the field rented 98s. I guess the 98 was mad tricked yO!

o'well

jb

CodeMA
06-15-2003, 11:58 PM
I see noobs with rentals marvel over my e99 even..its sad..but makes ya feel good and proud sometimes....

and even more so when I used a stingray at a feild one time that I got to preform...."semi accurate" and did well with it....they thought it was some ausome gun till I showed em what it was.....than they claim I just got lucky....what chumps.....anyway.... ya I wouldnt mind being asked...some times...but constently....I dred....

Sooky
06-16-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by TigerMan
before I can even put my stuff down at least one person has come up to me asking to shoot it, or the other forsaken question of how much did it cost.
Then they tell you you got ripped off, and could have got it for $$$ less at something.com, right?

omni
06-16-2003, 10:52 AM
" WOAWWWW sweet marker man, how much did you pay for that?"

me " I won it, from the great people at AGD "

" I hate you "

" How did you win it? "

me " www.automags.org "

hahaha Seriously thought, people at my field hate me because I'm lucky. :p

TigerMan
06-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Sooky

Then they tell you you got ripped off, and could have got it for $$$ less at something.com, right?

Nah cause I never tell them how much I paid. ;) I just tell them it cost me "a lot," then they come back 5 minutes later asking the same question. :p I guess they think I'll change my mind.

Evil Bob
06-16-2003, 01:44 PM
1) Don't bother arguing with people who are looking for excuses on why you shot them out, it's not worth the energy. People who make excuses for everything have some serious mental issues that need to be sorted out with professional help.

2) Actions speak louder then words. If you consistantly shoot them out, they do one of two things: 1) they will eventually figure out that yes, you are better then they are, it's not necessarily the gear that is giving you the advantage, or 2) they will get tired of being shot out and will go away, these types of people rarely hang around when they are being repeatedly humiliated in public.

3) Give it another 5 years, your opinion will change as you mature more.

4) Compliment people on good plays, especially when they shoot you out, a kind word can often change a jerk into a friend. If the loud mouth comes over to rub it in your face in the staging area, just smile and say "nice play, you got me."

5) Be proud of your high end gear, its yours. People will always envy the guy who owns the Porche or Merc or Ferrarri, it's petty jealousy, that's part of life. People who fall prey to this type of jealousy are usually trying to justify their reason for owning a piece of crap marker instead of a high end one (it's usually a money issue when it comes right down to it). If you want a good example of petty jealousy, just look at the hate mongering that went on in the "Jack Ozborne owns an angel" thread. It's going to happen, if you're prepared for it, it shouldn't bother you at all.

6) Fit in with your environment. What kind of image are you giving off when you walk into the staging area? Do you walk around with a "hey, check me out" attitude or do you try to blend in? When I play rec, I wear camo, when I play tournies, I wear a jersey and look like the rest of my team. You are less likely to get singled out if you look like everyone else. If you wave your marker around for all to see and are seen showing it off to other players, expect to have new players come up and comments on it. If you keep a low profile, you'll get fewer. Some people like being in the lime light, others don't. If you put yourself in the light, you're going to get attention whether you want it or not.

-Evil Bob

mykroft
06-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, sometime's it can be entertaining. I loved the kid who asked me if my Fly LCD was an Impulse or a Shocker (Big SP Target stickers on the sides, since I use a Freak & a Max-Flo).

I actually got more intimidation out of my Classic Mag back in 2000 than I do with my Trix now. I find it's the Jersey, Mask and Pack that really intimidate the kiddies.

Of course, when I see a 14 year old kid with a $2000 gun, I tend to assume Mommy bought it, since the chances are that mommy did. I try not to go too hard on the kids though. Admittedly, I've had a lot of fun mugging the speedball courts out at Wasaga with a few buddies, It's surprising how many kids have the guts to go up against a couple of guys with some severe firepower, we may stomp them, but I gotta give them props for trying, and you learn more by playing guys who will beat you, than by beating on n00bs. Same reason i've been known to play against Novice or Am teams, so I can learn.

adam shannon
06-16-2003, 02:24 PM
i actually saw the reverse of this...newb "i dont care what your shooting" no fear. only 4 people showed up to play one night...it was the fields first evening game since they installed the lights on the hyperball court so nobody showed except 2 guys from the fields team and 2 newbs...now granted they were late 20's and not little kids, but they had no fear about going out there with rentals against an angel speed and an ir3 for their very first PB experience...we offered to split em up but they wanted to play on the same side. they did say something about they now understand why people buy thousand dollar markers after being on the receiving end of the fusilade. but they kept coming back for more and were actually having fun and trying to hold their own.

these guys didnt know one marker from the next...i think they had been spared the hype associated with this marker or that so they didnt have any fear or awe about what marker the oposition was shooting. gotta love paintball mags...they make a player scary based on what gear he owns and marker he shoots and kids still come into the shop asking for the worst JT barrels cuz of the ad hype.

Recon by Fire
06-16-2003, 04:16 PM
The marker hype is ridiculous. If you are playing and having fun, it doesn't matter what you are holding. I was a victim recently of the "marker is what it's about" syndrome, I was picked first for teams because I was holding an X-mag (obvious when they call you by your marker type). I just walked onto the filed and hadn't played one game yet, there were lots of other players already there who showed off their game.

Quickling
06-16-2003, 04:33 PM
I kinda had a funny twist to my usual.. I desided to retire my cocker for one month... for the month of June it is nothin but me and my PGP.....

well I go out.. the normal refs smile, they have been around and know PGPs well.

One kid thinks Im crazy and then theres two first timers who have no clue... Kinda fun, 2 on 2.. the field is setup straight out of a stock classers wet dream. Takes little effort to make the 50. From there I had great shots on everyone.

Well then this group of old schoolers show up sporting a vector, an SL68 II and one experienced renter.

They took one look at my PGP and harness and where like.." Whoa... that dude knows how to play."

Fortunately my skills and the field where very kind to me that day and I was able to live up to my "hype".

I did feel like such a newbie when I snap shot a gun full out running. I cried out in delight as I saw my ball smash on his hopper, thus preventing him from bunkering a teammate. All with one shot:D

Catch22
06-16-2003, 09:42 PM
LOL. I play in dirty tan shorts and an office depot Tee. I don't even wear a pack. Just my hopper. Everyobdy is like, Wow that kid is so gay. He's gonna get wooped.

Noob.

Then when they get beat they realize that baggy jerzeys and paintball parafanlia just slows you down.