PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the sport

hostage
06-15-2003, 03:59 AM
It is wierd, after I had a negative experence with the group of guys I play with, I seemed to have lost interest in paintball. It is upsetting, since I use to love playing. Going out to the field and chatting on these forums. The enjoyment of paintball use to be undescribable. However, it has seemed to of lost it's appeal to me. Last time I went to play I didn't even want to play. I hope this is a fluke.
-Doron

breg
06-15-2003, 05:03 AM
Hey, man don't lose hope. What you could do is just go play a private party with friends and friends only. Don't give up hope.
The other thing maybe you are suffering from burn-out. Take a break for a while. Just give it a rest for a while.

mcdkid
06-15-2003, 05:12 AM
don't let those guy piss u off. i ref and play at a local field and there are these ***holes that ref and play 2. after like the 1st time i had 2 ref with them i didn't want 2 play with them. so now when i play i just shoot them (while they r refing).
so the point of this story don't worry about what people say, and if u can get even! j/k

Outlaw5
06-15-2003, 06:09 AM
Hey man, I've been playing for 17 years. Yes it dates me a bit but let me tell you the number of times I wanted to say the heck with it! If the problem is with the field your at then take the extra time to find another field in your area, even if its and extra hour to and hour and a half away. If the new field is friendly and the players are cool, it makes the drive there exciting and the ride back go quick because of the cool stories about play that day you will have. If you can get just one of your buddies to go with you then you two will just talk about the day and how great it was.
When it comes to guys, or gals, who are stuck on how great they are or how the don't ever get eliminated (because they wipe and cheat), just concentrate on them in the game. Don't overshoot but ensure they have enough paint on them that they can't wipe in time for a ref to toss em, ie 5-10 rounds. After a while they will get the picture and either get honest or stop playing with you. Remember always take the high ground with these guys, when they want a confrontation ensure you are near the refs or field owner, don't fight or use strong language. After the confrontation is over ensure the field owner knows and have them toss the a**h***s off of the field. If the field owner refuses even though you can produce witnesses, then its time to go to every forum that rates fields and slam the field and the owner for favorites and the biased play at that particular field. Be sure the owner understands all that you are concerned/complaining about and don't worry about being a "complainer" because you paid good money to run for the day.
Also as above if you have to take some time off then do so.
I have walked off of more than one field because of jerks and no support from the field owners. I'm glad there are now forums to post how your day went for others to avoid the same problems you had.

I know its a lengthy reply but I feel you need to know some solutions that you as a player can implement. Remember--Play hard and with Honor.:D

ICOM
06-15-2003, 07:16 AM
Hey dont quit on us. Maybe try a new style of play. If you play tournies,try biggames,and normal rec ball? OR other way around. Try to change things up. Also only go every so often til you have the desire to keep wanting to go. Just gotta try new ways to play paintball and sooner or later you will wanna play again.

Benfica4ever
06-15-2003, 08:41 AM
NO! You cant leave. Shoot those guys and then just take a break from paintball.

irbodden
06-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Take a break for a few monthes, it helps... ;)

spydervenom
06-15-2003, 09:44 AM
try a pump..they are silly.

Quiet
06-15-2003, 09:54 AM
I went through a little thing like that a year ago. I took a little hiatus and switched fields, and found renewed interest in the sport.

hostage
06-15-2003, 11:17 AM
I work at the field as a ref, the field isn't a problem, its great. I think I just relate the problem I had to the sport and that makes it undesireable. Dang pyschology maybe.
-Doron

f3rr3+
06-15-2003, 05:16 PM
dont mean to pry but what was the problem you had? i think that sharing stuff like that and discussing it will help you out, but its hard for us to relate to you if we dont know what happened...

hostage
06-15-2003, 05:19 PM
well there was a tourney coming up and no one was responding and a few people wanted to go, so I tried and tried to get some people together to play. I finally got enough people to play and was about to organize everything, when another person I know basicly took 3 of the people I had and formed his own team. It irritated me since I spent all that time organizing trying to get people to go and at the last minute the pres and vp of the club got 3 of the people i had and decided to go like that. I felt betrayed, I got over it, but after that I didn't seem to enjoy the sport any more.
-Doron

_Spork_1
06-15-2003, 05:27 PM
i felt the same way about paintball, but then i tried a viking and man i'm more in to the sport than i ever had, i've been playing for 4 years, and i've felt like stopping 3 times, and i've not played for 2-3 months and then i want to play again.

oh and make a new team and beat your friend/?

you might also have forgoten that your suppose to have fun not try so hard to have a tourny team going that it takes the fun away

Meph
06-15-2003, 07:08 PM
I suggest you do 2 things.

Grab a pump. And go to a Scenario game. Take these and call me in the morning.

Pvt.Opium
06-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Dont Stop!!! i FELT THE SAME WAY. tHE GUYS I WERE PLAYING WITH WERE NOT MAKING IT FUN. TRY FINDING SOME OTHER PEOPLE TO PLAY. THIS IS THE BEST SPORT EVER.. :):)

Frank (the spank)
06-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Bunker him.

Oh and to bunker someone it does not require that the person being bunkered actually be playing in the game. Ya know.. surprise him at work, at the dentist, in the bathroom etc..

Make sure you call him your female dog afterwards as well.

Trust me.. you'll feel A LOT better.

Nick O time
06-15-2003, 10:25 PM
I too got burned out on paintball. I just took a break for amonth or two and hung out with my friends. I completely stopped watching and playing football or reading about tournaments. I didn't do any paintball related things so that when I did finally go again, I would be pumped up and excited to go paintballin. Then when I did finally go again, it was at a different field, which was much more relaxing and friendly. I fell back in loe with the sport right after that and have been going back to that field much more recently. Trust me, you'll fall in love with paintball all over again, oh yeah and this also started from a tourney related matter.

I almost forgot try to do a runthrough every game if you are a front player (I started to do that and it really makes the whole game better for me. Start from about the 50 and run the tape all the way to their deadbox, it gives you such an adrenaline rush and it feels awsome to have shot out 4 or 5 people in under 5 seconds too:D .)

alf
06-15-2003, 10:27 PM
doron,

dont worry about it...that happens to all of us...one time, a bunch of us went to play...and two friends (they were best friends since kindergarten), got into a fist fight about overshooting...that really bummed me out too...i didnt want to play anymore, because pball is SUPPOSED to be fun, and its not supposed to make best friends fight...well, they got over it...kissed and made up :p ...and im playing again...

like the other guys said...take a lil break...dont even read pball mags...then, in about a month or so...youll be itching to bunker someone again

-alf

GatoLoco
06-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Try a different sized field, ie big to small or small to big, 10 man to five man, five man to woods ect. Also, try different positions, and when all else fails, go for a random run-through, you'll be surprised how many times it works, and if it doesn't, hey its a huge rush. Try different strategies. If you read this post with a cynical eye, than I have no doubt that I cannot change your mind. However, if you read it with a hopefull eye yearning to enjoy once again the thrill of hearing the paint smack your bunker, running past beehives of paintballs, and seemingly having your blood change into adrenalin in the physical chess game of paintball, then I hope I can help.