PDA

View Full Version : No compter... 2 weeks... *aaaggh* (Philmont)

personman
06-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Well, I'm leaving for Denver, CO tommorow. Were flying there, then were being transported to Colorado Springs (dont ask me how, maybe we'll get to use a prototype teleporter) and were going to see the Olympic Training center, and the Numismatic museam or whatever and then after that were going to take a bus down to Cimmaron, NM on wendsday morning to arrive at Philmont Scout Ranch (http://www.philmont.com) I guess we spend the night at the base camp then the next day we 'embark' on our Trek. Ahh what fun we get to backpack 90+ miles in 10 days, with activites along the way, like Burro racing( :rolleyes: ) and many other exciting things.. lol well its defentalyl going to be diffrent than sitting in front of the computer posting on AO. Its going to be fun and I'm going to take lots of pictures and stuff and im sure the landscape is going to be beautiful. We are taking itenarary 32 which is like the 2nd hardest one there :p
Well, I'll be back here in 2 weeks, sunburned and exausted to hell. :)

irbodden
06-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Make sure to bring lots of juicey boxes and coloring books! :eek:

personman
06-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Dont worry, I will, and I packed extra pacifiers :)

Brak
06-15-2003, 03:02 PM
teleporters are cool

personman
06-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Yup */DING DING DI NG DING DINGIN DIN GINDIN GIN DING DINGIND GINDGIN IDNGNI INGIN*
4000th post!
I WIN

irbodden
06-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by personman
Yup */DING DING DI NG DING DINGIN DIN GINDIN GIN DING DINGIND GINDGIN IDNGNI INGIN*
4000th post!
I WIN

:cool:

Cryer
06-15-2003, 03:16 PM
Philmont is awesome. Except for the 'boulder bars'. You'll see...:o ;)

personman
06-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Cryer
Philmont is awesome. Except for the 'boulder bars'. You'll see...:o ;)
:( I dont want to know

personman
06-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Aah! My pack wieghs 37 lbs and thats without any crew gear and an empty camelbak (well its a realy small one) and probally without some of the things I need.. I guess I'll have to look thru and toss things but really ive already taken alot of the things out (including my little pillow, I'll miss it but it was just too big :()
I only have 2 nalgenes, 2/3 of a 2 lieter platapus, and a small nalgene (.5 l) I think my camelback is like 45 oz..
God :p

personman
06-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Im back...
wow..
That was alot of fun...
Bolder bars are awesome btw.. what I really got tired of was the damned squeese cheese.. and the tooth of time chicken. Needless to say im going back again in two years :)

Cryer
06-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Awesome! welcome back! bet you're tired...

Yeah, I got tired of the speadables real fast, too. We'd split up the items in the meals (jerky, ritz, spreadables, etc) and then we'd barter with each other. We'd trade our jerky for hot cocoa, etc. It even got to the point where one guy would even carry some of our stuff for hot chocolate...:p
Boulder bars are ok, but not with braces. I don't mind how they taste, but chewing those things caused me to break a wire. I then performed an impromtu orthodontic operation using needle-nose pliers in which I completely removed all the wires from my braces.:eek:

You see any bears? we didn't:(

cannedheat
06-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Did you get to see lots of mini bears? On my trek we made a game out of mini bear hunting... great stuff. BTW jalapeno cheese is the best stuff ever, I just wish I could find it here.:(

personman
06-30-2003, 11:59 PM
I am pretty tired. I might actually have some jalapeno cheese in my pack right now because I had the lunch for the last day (we made it to base camp before lunch from clarks fork over the tooth)
I diddnt see any bears at all, but one night at Harland we heard something big in the bushes next to a red roof inn.. man that got the adrenaline pumping. Someone in our sister crew kiled a mini-bear! LOL he said it was looking at him so he threw a rock at it and hit it and it died lol
We were 618-F2 :cool:
Im tired and I should be sleeping right now but whatever. The camp sites we went to, first to last, were:
(start out at 6 mile gate)
Anasazi
Cottonwood
Ponil
Pueblo Ruins
Miranda (side hike baldy)
Miranda
Santa Claus
Upper Bench
Harland
Clarks Fork
BASE CAMP!!!!!

Baldy was amazing. I brought back a rock from the top :D Yea I know its pretty pointless but I felt like doing it. There is absolutely no air up there and its windy as hell.. that last sentence might sound like it contradicts itself but it doesnt. You could suffocate while getting blown off the top of the mountian if you tried hard enough :p
Our crew leader was an arse. Hes just a little bit older than me and hes in the same grade and he pisses me off. Mostly because the level of stupitdy. At legistics(sp?) we said no burros (voted 4 to 3) and he went and signed us up for them anyway.. :rolleyes: We finally got rid of them at Ponil by telling them we diddnt want the damned things.. but burro racing at Harland was pretty fun, even though they diddnt cooperate worth a crap. Well aside from our crew leader I had a good time. That last hike from the tooth to base camp is a pain in the butt. I swear I could have walked all the way back to Atlanta in the time it took (or seemed to take) to get down that hill. I swear the hill loooks really small from base camp but it goes on forever. I made it from the base of the tooth to the top in 4 mins.. beat that ;) I was like spider man all bolduring up those rocks really fast and crap... I found out my hiking boots have AWESOME grip..
I liked the jelly spreadables but the cheese just got old.