PDA

View Full Version : cpu/heatsink thermal pad??

PRPB
06-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Okay I had purchase a motherboard off of ebay. I wanted to make sure it work so I put the cpu, ram and video on to test it out. I let it run for about 40 minutes. A few days later I realized I was going to need a motherboard that had SATA on it. So now I getting the new board today and I have to switch the cpu over. Now what I need to know is, is it ok for me to use the same thermal pad or am I going to have to get a new one? If so where can I get one?

e mag
06-16-2003, 11:15 AM
i think you're supposed to get a new one. most computer stores like compusa should have them, but be careful because some stuff you buy may be a cheap brand. you can also order it from websites like www.xoxide.com or www.plycon.com. if you want to order it online i would recommend xoxide, they have good service and there store is in the main line, so the shipping should be fast.

CasingBill
06-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Use arctic silver. Its the best. Comes in a little tube for about 10.00.

PRPB
06-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Sorry but I'm not too familiar with these thermal paste/pads things. So how does that paste work? Is it something I'm going to have to put on every once in a while or is it a one time thing? I only asking, because I was told to only use the thermal paste if you are going to be changing the processors every few months.

Crighton
06-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by CasingBill
Use arctic silver. Its the best. Comes in a little tube for about 10.00.

Yep artic silver is where its at in heat transfer. Kicks the (blank) out of those thermal transfer pads.

You just put some on the chip then tighten it down. Next time wipe it off with a rag and re apply it.

Star_Base_CGI
06-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Yeah TIMMY sucks. Scrap him off and replace him with Zinc Oxide, thermal grease and you get an increase of about %3 cooling effecincey.

Apply a very thin layer of thermal Grease.

Nobody077
06-19-2003, 07:56 PM
Thermal past or the thermal pads are used to fill very small bumps/ scraches in the surfaces being put together. In a perfect world both peices would be perfectly smooth with a 100% contact, but this wont happen so the past or pad fills the gaps increasing the contact patch letting heat move better. Most heatsinks come with pads because there cheap but they realy suck. I wuold suggest useing a cleaner like GOO Gone to clean your heatsink and your CPU die, only use a lint-free rag or towl, DONT use inything to scrape off the old pad, this will cause scratches(the stuff your trying to get rid of), then apply a very thin layer of a good thermal grease. I personaly use Artic Silver and have seen a 5-10*c drop compared to a pad and 4-5*c between Artic Silver and common thermal grease(stuff from radio shack)
By the way the new Maxtor SATA drives are shipping with a SATA-IDE connector so a new MB is not needed unless you want the full SATA 150

PRPB
06-19-2003, 09:09 PM
I wuold suggest useing a cleaner like GOO Gone to clean your heatsink and your CPU die

Is that safe to use on a AMD processor?

By the way the new Maxtor SATA drives are shipping with a SATA-IDE connector so a new MB is not needed unless you want the full SATA 150

I already got the board and I did want the full SATA 150. Thanks anyway. Also when are the maxtor drives coming out or did they. I would like to compare it to the WD raptor drive.

Thank you everyone for your help. I be going with the arctic silver.

Nobody077
06-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Yes you can use the Goo Gone on the AMD, I have many times(thunderbirds & XP +'s), I tried about 5 diffrent heatsink combos before going to my Water cooling setup and used Goo Gone to clean before every install.
My local PC shop www.PcClub.com had the Maxtor SATA drives on the shelf tuesday when I picked up a WD 120gb specail edition with the 8mb buffer:D

Zumina
06-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Buy Artic Silver 3, it's the best.

To apply it, put a small amount directly on the cooler or on the core itself and smooth it out with your finger. The key is to use just enough and not to douse the core in it.

Use conventional rubbing alcohol to remove the older thermal paste/pad.