PDA

View Full Version : why a mag?

endipaint
06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
what are some of the reasons to get a mag rather than all the other guns out thier?

no_doz
06-17-2003, 06:15 PM
i may be able to help you, but i have sum questions for u.

1. have u ever owned a mag?
2. how much do u know about mags
3. what guns have u owned
4. and how much do u have

endipaint
06-17-2003, 06:33 PM
ok
1 nope not yet
2 in dont know a whole lot if anything but my frind has one
3 well i curently have a tricked tippy and i have owned a spyder
4 well i got a job so i will have plenty of money this summa rite now about 200

no_doz
06-17-2003, 06:53 PM
what i would suggest (its really up to you) but build a mag from scratch and you will have an awsome gun. if u can find a ule for 135 (they are 150 new so it shouldnt be too hard) then got a used omega rail for like 30 (they are 40 new) the look for a stock trigger frame on here for 15, get a duckbill for 5 used, then all u need is a valve and u have a tricked gun. also btw, if u did this and later invested in an rt/xvalve u would have a totally killer valve. that or u can go out and buy so cheap little stock mag for 150-200 (i wouldnt suggest it, but as soon as sumone from here reads this they will try to sell u one and probably tell u im stupid.) if i hadnt bought my minimag i would have started from scratch like that, and would have ended up with a much nicer gun in the long run, (and u could do the same)

endipaint
06-17-2003, 06:58 PM
wow thank you i appriciate the help:)

no_doz
06-17-2003, 06:59 PM
sure.

GT
06-17-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by no_doz
then got a used omega rail for like 30 (they are 40 new)

hell show me where I can get an omega for 30 and I will buy 10.

I would sugest a few things:
1. try out your friends mag and see if you like.
2. it doesnt sound like you have played alot, I could be worng, make sure you really like playing before you buy.
3. do not build a mag your first time.
4. if you do decide to build your first gun dont buy used parts.
5. if you do buy a whole gun look around in the classifed forum. There are usually a few NEW mags that someone won at a tourney for sale.

Finally, Welcome to AO:cool:
jb

endipaint
06-17-2003, 07:25 PM
thnx and yah i am kinda new only a yr and like 4 months experiance but i got another q.. if i bought a mini mag i could put an xvalve on it right?

no_doz
06-17-2003, 07:35 PM
u can buy them for 40 new, i was talking bout 30 used, u shouldnt have to hard of a time buying one for 30. As for trying a mag out, that is also a good idea, sum people like basic minis and classics, (not me for one) and some people want nice tricked guns, if so then building one is a good idea, u will end up with an awsome gun.

what u need to build a functioning mag (other than a micro)

1. A rail- (the omega is the cheaper of the customs)
2. A body- (ULE's are nice, not too expensive, and light)
3. A sear- (not expensive really, make sure the tf has one)
4. A TF- (Trigger Frame, make sure a sear is included)
5. A valve- (main mech.s of the gun, Xvalves are best)
6. A VA- (vertical adapter, 15 tops)
7. a hose- (steel braided dont crack, around 5 or less)

my next post i will give u links and pics in case u want ot build an awsome mag.

endipaint
06-17-2003, 07:42 PM
cool sounds good

LittlePaintballBoy
06-17-2003, 07:44 PM
u can buy them for 40 new, i was talking bout 30 used, u shouldnt have to hard of a time buying one for 30.

dude, show me where to buy omegas even 50 new and ill thank you. dont say PBgear because they have been out of stock for awhile.

endipaint
06-17-2003, 07:54 PM
wait one of these? http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/011-1000-153.html its in stock

no_doz
06-17-2003, 08:07 PM
no, thats a sight rail, but that ones made by omega. (are they really out of stock at pbgear gtrsi?) heres a diagram of my old mag, it shows all the parts other than the pf plus which is is the body.

endipaint
06-17-2003, 08:11 PM
should i buy a reg if im gonna run comp air through it?

GT
06-17-2003, 08:13 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=860690

no_doz
06-17-2003, 08:15 PM
TF- http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/011-1000-324.html

VA- http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/011-1000-950.html

Sear- http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/011-1000-302.html

Rail- http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/011-1000-151.html

http://store.airgun.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=17&CATID=23&ObjectGroup_ID=94[/url]
^^^^
Body

Valve- http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/014-5104.html

Hose- http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/paintball-gas-systems-hoses-and-parts-stainless-steel-hoses.html[/url]

that adds up, but in the end, u will have a very nice gun.

(thats also the new prices, u will save if u buy used)

endipaint
06-17-2003, 08:30 PM
what could i get thats cheaper than a retro so i can get an xvalve later on?

Grasshopper
06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by endipaint
what could i get thats cheaper than a retro so i can get an xvalve later on?
A stock A.I.R. valve. The kind that comes when you buy a normal automag/minimag. I'd go with just buying a gun altogether in one peice, instead of trying to buy all the parts seperate and putting it together.

If you buy a 'Mag whole (like a minimag/automag), you can slowly upgrade the body (to a ULE), valve (to an X-Valve), to a nicer trigger frame (intelliframe), and stuff. Then, when you upgrade those things, you can sell of the old body and whatever. It's just easier to buy used, and it will allow you to upgrade whenever.

no_doz
06-17-2003, 09:04 PM
still, a reg mag or mini costs at least 150, then ull be lucky to get 50 (LUCKY) out of the body, the itll cost u another 100 and the money from the body to get a ule, so now your at 250, then u sell the rail for 20 and go buy an omega for 50 or whatnow, now your in 280, now u need to sell the AIR valve, for about 50 (i tried to sell mine with 4 stars for 75 and no one wanted it) so now u need 200 more for an rt or an x valve. and yada yada yada. u save at least 100 by building one out of good parts from scratch. $100 is an extra $100 that could be put into any number of upgrades.

endipaint
06-17-2003, 09:14 PM
good point

endipaint
06-17-2003, 09:20 PM
check your pm's no_doz

endipaint
06-17-2003, 09:33 PM
what kind of reg should i use on a minimag?

Dayspring
06-17-2003, 11:47 PM
If you're running HPA, you don't. If you're running CO2, something by Palmer.

GT
06-18-2003, 07:06 AM
no doz,
your leading this guy in the wrong direction.

first of all your missing some parts for a whole mag. second the "retro valve" is no longer being made and is out of stock according to pb gear.

endipaint,
there is a guy in the calissfied forum that is selling a brand new mag for 150. all it needs is a barrel, bottomline, exp chamber, vertical adapter, and a tank. most of the parts you can buy used since they are hard to break, infact I have a v/a sitting around here somewhere.

There are alot of costs with building a mag. the valve no doz is suggesting will have to run of an andjustable compressed air tank and also consider the cost of a nice hopper as well.

If you want give me your email and I can shoot you my build sheet for my current mag. I dont have everything yet but I have a good idea of what stuff will cost.

jb

no_doz
06-18-2003, 11:09 AM
150 and it needs all that??? i bought my minimag for 175 and it came with a 16 oz, a 20oz with on/off valve, splash kit, doulbe trigger, elbow, and a revy! whata ripp, if u are gonna buy a whole mini or classic look on ebay.

Cryer
06-18-2003, 11:33 AM
I'll just lay it all out for you. Here's what you need to do:
1. Look in the classified ads here for a complete mag. Since you don't have alot of money right now, just get a stock mag. There are several out there for a good price. Also, pbgear has a good deal with the TKO mag.

2. You need to run Nitro on a mag for best performance. If you can't get it with the mag, then it needs to be your very next paintball purchase.

3. Get an Intelliframe. These are a major improvement over the stock frame.

4. Once you get more money, get an x-valve. Seriously, they are worth it.

5. ULE bodies are awesome, but offer no performance gain. It's almost 100% cosmetic. If you get a ULE, you have to also buy a cocker barrel. It's your choice. I love mine.

That will give you a great setup right there. The important thing is starting off small.

QUINCYMASSGUY
06-18-2003, 12:30 PM
OK, my thirty five cents to this: first, not everything everyone here says is accurate and oftentimes can be wrong and have a negative effect. Dayspring, CPhillip, AThomas, and anyone from AGD are legit (some more who I've missed), everyone else take a little caution and get second opinions.

Building up from scratch is fine if you got the cash to build an upper end mag comprised of all the upgrade parts (Intelliframe, ULE body, XValve, etc) but if you are on a budget and going mostly stock you can get some great deals on stock mags because people are upgrading to Emags, Xmags, and ULE bodied mags and selling their old gear and it saves you time making sure you get every little part. BUT be cautious who you buy from. Too many idiots file down their on/off, shorten their firing rod (the thing that's right behind the trigger), file down the sear, cut off the trigger guard cause they think it looks cool or buy a $20 double trigger instead of a $75 benchmark double, use the Zvalve or other aftermarket parts that have been negatively reviewed a million times here and voids the warranty, and other dumb mods that wear the Mag down and can ultimately break it. If you see ANY of this, don't buy it, find a smart buyer who knows his stuff.

So if you get a stock it can always be upgraded later, my gun was a stock minimag and gradually became a fully ULE monster, the rail is the last stock part, and it wasn't overly pricey plus I got to invest in it gradually. You can get a few bucks for the old part like the body, but don't expect tons.

If you get a stock Lvl 7 Mag (research this if you don't know what that means) get the Lvl 10 kit immediately. If you are bad at installing stuff, have someone put it in for you. Best of luck.

Cryer
06-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by QUINCYMASSGUY
...Building up from scratch is fine if you got the cash to build an upper end mag comprised of all the upgrade parts (Intelliframe, ULE body, XValve, etc) but if you are on a budget and going mostly stock you can get some great deals on stock mags because people are upgrading to Emags, Xmags, and ULE bodied mags and selling their old gear and it saves you time making sure you get every little part...

...That's basically what I said, but better elaborated...

...So if you get a stock it can always be upgraded later, my gun was a stock minimag and gradually became a fully ULE monster, the rail is the last stock part, and it wasn't overly pricey plus I got to invest in it gradually...

...That's what I did. You can see the progress by clicking on my "My ULE Automag" link in my sig...

QUINCYMASSGUY
06-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Yup, I am in total accordance with you Cryer and pretty much my idea was just to elaborate so he is aware beyond a shadow of a doubt what is smart and what would be really stupid to do. Alot of people will tell him really dumb things and act like they know what they're talking about. You seem legit, I just didn't cite you with cphillip and the others because I haven't seen enough of your responses to fully vouch for you like I do those guys.

And definitely check out his link endipaint, it's a perfect example of what someone who does his research and invests the appropriate time and money can do with a Mag. Sky's the limit.

Cryer
06-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Yup, I am in total accordance with you Cryer and pretty much my idea was just to elaborate so he is aware beyond a shadow of a doubt what is smart and what would be really stupid to do. Alot of people will tell him really dumb things and act like they know what they're talking about. You seem legit, I just didn't cite you with cphillip and the others because I haven't seen enough of your responses to fully vouch for you like I do those guys.

And definitely check out his link endipaint, it's a perfect example of what someone who does his research and invests the appropriate time and money can do with a Mag. Sky's the limit.

Thanks. I usually try to point new mag owners in the right direction, but over the last 2 days, there have been like 8 threads like this, and I'm just talked out...:o :p

QUINCYMASSGUY
06-18-2003, 01:34 PM
I know, alot of people need to use the search feature but I always remember I was slightly like that a little over a year ago and also that I am still learning new stuff about other markers and even Mags so I try to be helpful. But idiots giving wrong info and typing at a 1st grade level is starting to irritate me, I keep seeing it on the threads you referred to. So I understand where you're coming from.

Endipaint, this site has tons of valuable information and if you read the good responses made by the people I mentioned, any question you have about your mag has been asked, has been answered, and the best solution is within this site. Good luck.

endipaint
06-18-2003, 04:03 PM
thank you for all your information...its been a big help :D

jungleguy
06-18-2003, 04:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3613231424&category=16048

check that out asap. i think it's only got an hour left on the bidding.. but its a pretty good deal. methinks.:p

GT
06-18-2003, 04:32 PM
150 and it needs all that??? whata ripp, if u are gonna buy a whole mini or classic look on ebay.

Did you not read my last post I said "NEW" I am a big advocate for new stuff for the newbies instead of getting something that could be dmmamged, although it maybe an easy to fix tech issue it is something a new owner should not have to deal with. Remeber the first time he goes out will leave a lasting impression so why not spend the few bucks on a new/near new setup.

jb

endipaint
06-18-2003, 05:00 PM
awwwww newbie!:( thats harsh yah ive only been playin like a lil ova a yr but im only 15

GT
06-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by endipaint
awwwww newbie!:( thats harsh yah ive only been playin like a lil ova a yr but im only 15

that isnt what i ment bro. Your green to teh gun no shame in that.

note: 1k posts woot!

endipaint
06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
dang 1 k congrats!

Digits
07-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Make sure you dont forget to buy a piece of rail bushing..

It's kind of a beeotch if you dont have one.. lol