PDA

View Full Version : Shortening the trigger pull.............

MONSTER
08-27-2001, 05:36 PM
What is the best wat to do this, shorten or lengthen the trigger rod? If there is a "better" way, I would be glad to hear it.

------------------
AutomagToo Our team is MONSTER
Mississippi Splatter Games

Chef123161
08-27-2001, 05:46 PM
Do not mess with the trigger rod as it affects the timing of the gun. The best trigger job is shooting the gun. The more you shoot, the lighter the pull gets.

MONSTER
08-27-2001, 06:05 PM
Not really what I was talking about. Like i think most guns are, after the sear is released, there is some useless trigger travel. I can run the rod in to where the trigger releases just before the trigger hits the guard. Then, I saw this guys gun that he had run the rod out to where it was against the trigger so tight it NO slop. It fired as soon as the trigger moved just slightly.

Chef123161
08-27-2001, 06:20 PM
You do what you want, myself or anyone on these boards cannot stop you. I can tell you this, you will most likely run into problems like premature bolt wear, gun having major shootdown because the on/off cannot fully open and close, and other major issues. So when this happens, remember, the proper trigger rod length is 1.985".

mikey101
08-27-2001, 06:23 PM
I would also suggest not messing with the trigger rod as it will mess up your trigger. You can purchase a few things that will supposedly lighten it, but im not sure if they really work. You can get a different powertube spacer(not sure if a shoter or longer PT spacer will make it shorter though) or you can get an estreme flow valve(its an upgraded copper part on the on/off valve) But I havn't seen too many of these, so good luck!

MONSTER
08-27-2001, 08:44 PM
Ok, so from the tip of the rod to the what? From the pivot point or where the rod goes into the threads? Please dont think Im stupid, I would just like to understand. That rod only has to freely travel a certain distance to work properly, right? So, if i dont stop it from going fully forward/backward (say with a trigg stop or by shortstrokin), why would it affect the gun. Im just trying to further my knowledge, so if you dont have the time or patience to answer me in a civil manner, just dont answer, PLEASE.

MONSTER
08-27-2001, 08:48 PM
Maybe I should rephrase. Maybe I should have said "trigger travel". Does that sound better? Sorry, I hope this makes better sense.

Trenon
08-28-2001, 09:27 AM
I know that everyone says "Dpn't messt with your trigger" But I don't think any of them have ever tried it because My local field owner Les is a god with mags. He's used them for 10 years. Anyway I asked him to do a trigger job for me and he did this involves a number of tings including polishing the sear, on/off pin and playing with the timing rod.

****NOTE this guy knows what he is doing

But as long as you don't polish anything obsesively I don't se why you couldn't do it.

MikeCouves
08-28-2001, 10:37 AM
I know a few methods that are good. Here they are. Oh wait, it would be illegal to copy them. I'll just post the link.

http://www.paintballravi.com/Articles/MagTrigger/mag_trigger_job.html

There are many methods including here.

------------------
Minimag
Double Trigger
ANS Shark Gill
14" SP All American
16" Custom Products
20 oz. (Flatline 68 for Christmas!)

Elves...they do it all

FeelTheRT
08-28-2001, 01:49 PM
see that's the thing, there rn't any do it your self Mag mods. Again, get an RT valve if you want to shoot faster.

Linkin
08-28-2001, 04:50 PM
Actually, there is a good do-it-yourself mod. Someone posted it a while back, forgot who it was.

Any way, all you need is either a very thin washer, or I used a piece of a notecard. I will use the notecard for this.

Okay, Take out the screw in front of your trigger. Now, take the piece of notecard, and fold it once or twice. (dont make it to thick, or your triggerpull will be too short) Now, Make a hole through the notecard, and put the screw through the hole. Now, trim off parts of the notecard until only part of it stickes in the space above the trigger. This should signifigantly reduce the length of the trigger pull.

If you use a washer, just put it on the screw, and screw the screw back in. I just couldnt find a washer that thin and small.

------------------
"Shut up when I'm talk'n to you!" -Linkin Park

"Give me an inch, I'll give you a bruise." -Andy Kopcok; Team Image

Army
08-28-2001, 10:33 PM
I love you new guys!

Okay, gather around and shush. Listen up. I'll tell you a little secret about AutomaG triggers....

...DON'T ADJUST OR MESS WITH THE TRIGGER ROD. DON'T POLISH THE SEAR NOR ON/OFF PIN!

The AGD techs (yes, the real live TRAINED AutomaG techs, not mr. wizard of the field-house), have coffe cans full of broken, worn, bent, and messed with sear assemblies. They also have coffee cans full of aftermarket parts that have broken, bent, worn, and been messed with http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

The 'Mags is "timed". No, not like a 'cocker.
The on/off must be closed before the bolt is released, and opened only after the sear has caught the bolt again. This timing has been set at the factory, by having the rod between 1.980" and 1.985". If not in this "zone", the predictable functioning of the gun no longer happens. You will have leakage, short stroking (more chops), and since the bolt is not fully held by the sear, it will be chipped away until it all fails.

Polishing the sear and on/off will remove the surface hardening. This is only a few microns thick, any polishing that is not the result of metal to metal contact, will accelerate the wearing of those surfaces.

If you want a faster trigger, get a ReTro valve, or practice, practice, practice your trigger pull. This will also burnish the contact areas, giving you an easier pull after time.

hooah

------------------
http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/contrib/blackeye/linkcoolMIR.gif EIB

FeelTheRT
08-28-2001, 11:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MikeCouves:
I know a few methods that are good. Here they are. Oh wait, it would be illegal to copy them. I'll just post the link.

http://www.paintballravi.com/Articles/MagTrigger/mag_trigger_job.html

There are many methods including here.

</font>

Those mods that Ravi have will just eventually mess up your gun. Ravi sure knows his Cocker stuff but he aint the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to Mags. There is no real way of doing a trigger job on a Mag. If you really want to shoo faster, which is really pointless to me, get the RT valve.

MikeCouves
08-28-2001, 11:52 PM
Yeah I was jus trying to help the guy out. I would have to consider trying some of these of my sear too. It would be sweet if you had a local Mag guru that knew how to do it perfectly. That would be awesome.

------------------
Minimag
Double Trigger
ANS Shark Gill
14" SP All American
16" Custom Products
20 oz. (Flatline 68 for Christmas!)

Elves...they do it all

PCI2000
08-29-2001, 12:45 PM
I can honestly say that the best way to shorten your trigger pull is to purchase the new AGD 2x frame when it is available.
I just bought one and I can assure you that it is a LOT shorter than the Benchy (1x or 2x).

PsychoMag
08-29-2001, 11:18 PM
THANK YOU ARMY...darn elves...

U got to it before me...Mods like what have been brought up in this thread are quick fixes, and will damage the reliability of the marker. as far as Ravi's mods...there is nothing in those pages that applies to todays level7 mags, and definitely not the RT valves...

have a swell day...u want short triggerpulls, try an EMAG, My RT Pro has actually got a very small triggerpull, you just need to practice with the trigger watching where it engages the on/off and sear. it takes nothing more than some experience with the gun to be fast.

------------------
PsychoMag..."Dogger"
RTP00440, Benchmark Offset Adj. HPA Cradle, Pro-Connect, 12"AA, 12"DYE SS, 12"Boomie, 14"JJ Ceramic, 68/4500 NitroDuck Tuffy, 12Revvie, Warp.
Team ArchAngels
www.angelfire.com/extreme2/archangels"
No Skill, No Talent, All Heart" ~ Oh Pawlak

mr_cool2588
09-30-2001, 06:29 PM
dont you all think that if there was a way to effectivly shorten the trigger pullwithout increasing wear or acuraccy or timeing agd would do it on there own? They do try to make the guns for as low as price as possible but if there was a way to make it noticible better why would they not do that stock. They know your not going to send it back to them and ask for your trigger shortened. doing stuff like this on your own will probly void your warrenty

Linkin
09-30-2001, 08:56 PM
To answer your original question,

DONT TOUCH THE DANG TRIGGER ROD!

-Thankyou for your time, Linkin

MONSTER
10-01-2001, 08:08 AM
no need for all gruff/stern retorts. Try to remember some people arent "senior members", therefore havent read every post, or doesnt come here that often. I would think that a company as good and well know as AGD, would have a little more "friendly" board than that. Now, please, let me try to clear this all up. I didnt get the marker new, and it had aready been "modded" (have no idea what was done to it), and that was three years ago. I have been "working" on it ever since then (as far as performance, its nice now). Now,if the trigger rod i supposed to be a certain length (posted above), TELL ME FROM WHERE TO WHERE, ie. front tip to pivot point, front tip to back tip. I would love to KNOW it is set right! As for the "shortening" of the trigger pull, I hope I am correct in the belief that the "slop" in a trigger is not "necessary. If its not, then I woud like to eliminate it as much as possible.

This sport does not have so much support that people can talk down to newbies and the "uninformed". Anyone ever see "Your companys Computer Guy" skit on SNL? Thats the way the way most of the replys to my original post sounded. We have to turn this sport into something to share, and not treat people as if they are our opponents even OFF the field.

Puckz
10-01-2001, 08:52 AM
What kind of trigger frame do you have?

If you have a stock frame of any adg frame you really are out of luck when it comes to making it shorter. The rod needs to be adjusted so that when gassed up there is a small gap between the tip of the rod and the trigger.

If you have a benchmark frame I know a mod that will shorten your pull without touching the timing rod. Let me know...