PDA

View Full Version : JT Mask Fan Questions

PBCapo
06-18-2003, 03:37 PM
okay, first, which is better, the vortex or the other one, i think its called the x-fire. Second, does it really work? Third, Is it loud enough that if you are playing woods ball it'll give away where you are?

Evil Bob
06-18-2003, 03:57 PM
The Vortex is for the Proteus, the x-fire for the older masks, they're essentially the same fan.

The fan is very quiet, they won't hear it until they are right on top of you, in which case, you will more then likely have shot them already. Most people won't even know what they're hearing if they do happen to hear it, usually they're too busy huffing and puffing and hearing their own breathing in their mask.

Additionally, if you're hiding in one spot and not moving, you're usually not generating all the extra heat from running hard, you will more then likely have the fan turned off to conserve battery life and allow you to hear more clearly.

If you wear glasses and have fogging problems, the fan will definitely prevent them from fogging.

I've used the JT fans for years now in high humidity environments, they work very well.

-Evil Bob

TheJester
06-18-2003, 04:00 PM
what's the point? just go to radio shack, buy a 9v clip, 1 of those mini blowers, and a switch, maybe a little wire (you seriously only need like 6 inches, not even). everything should run you about 15-20 bucks and it's not hard to install your self. last i checked, those JT fans were running $30

Evil Bob
06-18-2003, 04:03 PM
The point is the fan is enclosed in a housing that is designed to survive a paintball impact, something that a home brewed kit from Radio Shack components wont necessarily do.

-Evil Bob

Halliday
06-18-2003, 04:05 PM
The other one is the X-Wind fan. I had one. It was unreliable. It would fall apart at the seams. I had to make shims out of cardboard to keep the battery from moving and killing the fan. When I retired it I had a rubberband, electrical tape, cardboard and small pieces of macroline holding it together. It was fugly, but when it all came together (and the battery didn't move) it worked well for de-fogging.

Then I made my own out of a computer fan, a on-off switch and a 9v. Good but a battery killer.

Now I have contacts :)

QUINCYMASSGUY
06-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Better idea: sell the mask and use the fan money to put into a VForce Morph or another upper end mask. You won't even need the fan then and saves you all the complications.

IcantBelieveit
06-18-2003, 05:02 PM
the vortex and x-fire are the same thing just one pushes and pulls air out, the other just pulls

Hucklbry
06-18-2003, 05:03 PM
I've had mine for almost five years now. I don't have to use it often, but when it is humid out it does come in handy. If you have a JT mask, I would recomend it. Check ebay out, they are always on there for around $20.

Torbo
06-18-2003, 05:44 PM
you can get um new at pbgear.com for 24 or less. and theyre worth it if you wear glasses. I have a proteus and it never fogged, but my glasses did. So eventually i did the smart thing and got contacts.

PBCapo
06-18-2003, 05:51 PM
thanks a lot guys, i asked because i have a thermal spectra, and it was really humid last sunday where i live and i couldnt see a thing, i think i'll get one now, thanks

Skreemer
06-18-2003, 06:08 PM
heh the x-wind fan works just fine... I've had mine for 3 years on two diffrent masks...

as for the push air/pull air thing... the x-wind will do both just turn the battery arounf when you want the fan to go the other way... (it's in the instructions... ;) )

Halliday
06-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by IcantBelieveit
the vortex and x-fire are the same thing just one pushes and pulls air out, the other just pulls

That's not quite right. On the X-Wind, you can have it suck or blow, depending on how you put in the battery. On the Vortex, you can change the suck or blow with the switch.

aaron_mag
06-18-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by QUINCYMASSGUY
Better idea: sell the mask and use the fan money to put into a VForce Morph or another upper end mask. You won't even need the fan then and saves you all the complications.

I have the VForce Morph. It will fog in the right conditions. I just finished rigging it with TWO 25mm fans and a 9 volt to stop the fogging problem. Should work great.

The vortex fans work great with the JT masks. I just like my Morph.

jpdgas
06-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Ive only had my proteus fog at night, and the vortex cleared it right up. Its actually a nice little breeze on your face if you play in hottness like SoCAL. I just turn it on for air conditioning mostly. it also works better if you cut out the rubber mesh on the goggles right inder the fan. less air flow restriction

Dryden
06-19-2003, 08:00 AM
I wear glasses and have an X-Wind for defogging those. It's worked like a charm for the past six or seven years. For as cheap as the fans are now, they're still helpful to have on hand for good thermals if you play in high humidity and don't have any breeze to help circulate air out on the field, which is particularly a problem in woodsball.

And yes, the X-Wind spin direction changes based on which direction you place the AAA battery in it. It's nice with the fan oriented for ventilation to suck air out, since it also pulls out the mites, gnats, and mosquitos that get inside the goggles from time to time.

krafty
06-19-2003, 08:26 AM
I've had my Xwind fan since 1995. It's survived at least 20 direct impacts and (despite being a tad louder than when it was new) it still works like a charm. I'm considering buying a new one only so that I don't have to swap it between masks. It's done a great job keeping my glasses from fogging.

cphilip
06-19-2003, 10:14 AM
I have mine suck out the top rather than blow down too. I find that seems to keep the hot air rising and not fighting against the normal thermal rise thats happening. Mines pretty quite realy. But I only use it when its realy hot out.

Evil Bob
06-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Yep, when it's hot and muggy, that fan sure comes in handy. Even if you're not fogging, the breeze on your face sure feels good.

-Evil Bob

Lee
06-19-2003, 02:50 PM
i have a v-force, but jmy glasses still fog. i did some dremmeling and mounted a vortex. love it.

PBCapo
06-20-2003, 03:29 PM
one more thing, which is better? if they make 2 one must be higher quality

krafty
06-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by PBCapo
one more thing, which is better? if they make 2 one must be higher quality

The Vortex is merely an 'updated' Xwind. They just added a 3-position switch so you could reverse the flow without having to reverse the battery. Other than that, they're pretty much identical.

You can get a black Vortex for $20 at pbgear right now

CodeMA
06-20-2003, 05:56 PM
I love my lil Vortex...it helps with the glasses fogging and condensation....

HOWEVER.....it took 3 direct impacts 2 weeks ago....from close range.... and I have to depress the battery caseing before putting the mask on now so it turns on...LOL

but it still works....and is EXTREAMLY helpfull