PDA

View Full Version : Making a Sydarm. AGD, need some info.

68 Mag
08-24-2001, 03:03 PM
I was thinking. What if I took an old standard feed body, cut off the feed tube entirely, then made a horizontal-spring loaded tube, and welded it onto the body? Because now that I look at it, the Sydarm is really just a different body, isnt it? Anyways, AGD, could you give me the diagram for the Sydarm body?

FeelTheRT
08-24-2001, 05:37 PM
hrmm, you migh have to do some milling with a stnd body because on a Sydarm, the balls fall in directly on top as if there were a vertical feed.

bofh
08-25-2001, 07:46 AM
I am very interested in knowing some of the differences between the Sydarm and regular valve.... So I give this an up.

68 Mag
08-25-2001, 09:32 AM
FeelTheRT, as long as the tube is spring loaded, it shouldnt matter if it's on the side or top. Now I'm looking at where the air system (12 gram co2 quick changer) should be.

bofh
08-25-2001, 09:07 PM
A quick changer will fit on top behind the feed tube. Cooper-t sells some with 1/8 npt's already drilled.

AGD
08-25-2001, 10:53 PM
Yes you might be able to put a horizontal feed tube on the mag body but you will have a hard time soldering it there. I think you will have low odds of doing it right.

AGD

emaggot4life
08-26-2001, 08:23 AM
I would have to agree with AGD. I have tried to solder/attach different things to an old body and IT IS HARD. But , i would really love to see a compleated pic when you are done.

68 Mag
08-26-2001, 12:33 PM
Actually, I was thinking that I could use my dad's MIG welder.....would soldering be better?

bofh
08-26-2001, 03:24 PM
I'd think you have to use a Welder, and at least a Mig. I'm sure the body is stainless steel, which I don't think solders at all.

Rooster
08-27-2001, 07:59 AM
Im fairly sure you should use a TIG welder on stainless steal. I have no idea what the proper method would be to weld two cyliders together like that one you started welding though.

Rooster

bofh
08-27-2001, 06:22 PM
Actually, it would make sense not to cut the entire feed tube off. But leave enough mate with a 3/4 (.755 in. measured) I.D. tube And leave enough over hang to fit a power feed plug in...

I've just picked up a standard body for this purpose... Well, a like purpose... Details when I get past the design phase...

BTW, If you have a mig welder with a gas feed, (And you know what you're doing http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif )you should be able to do Stainless. I know people that can gas weld Aluminum. So anything is possible...

------------------
Shaun Nelson --- old, fat, slow.... did I mention lazy?
Brass Eagle .68 Pistol... It's pure fear in a easily cracked plastic housing.

bofh
08-28-2001, 07:55 PM
I've cut off and ground down the feed tube on a standard bodied Mag... And I'm looking at the weld... It's a different color than the rest of the steel and doesn't cut into the metal as far as I can tell. The filler metal looks golden/brassy

AGD, are these braised joints? And are the bodys made out of 440 stainless? If it is braised, what braising metal was used?

------------------
Shaun Nelson --- old, fat, slow.... did I mention lazy?
Brass Eagle .68 Pistol... It's pure fear in a easily cracked plastic housing.

Major Ho
08-29-2001, 08:05 PM
Can someone contact me when this is completed, I had the same idea a while ago but ended up selling the mag that i was gonna mutilate to do this.