PDA

View Full Version : field strip screw broke and is STUCK inside valve threading.

impostal22
06-18-2003, 09:25 PM
somehow, when i was tightening the field strip screw into my gun, it broke off. (i over tightened i guess, even though it wasn't even close to being tight when it happened). i ordered a new screw, but i still have a problem. the broken partof the screw is still inside the threading of the valve....how the HELL do i get it out?

for those who have followed my problems...the drama continues..heh.

ASDadam
06-18-2003, 09:38 PM
You can drill it out or you can take a very small Allen wrench you don't care about. Drilling it out is fairly obvious. Just take a small drill bit and drill through the center. If you want to use an allen wrench grab some Superglue. Dab the superglue on the broke screw and then put the allen wrench on the superglue and let dry. When it dries you should be able to unscrew it using the Allen wrench.

impostal22
06-18-2003, 10:21 PM
i'm not entirely sure how using a drill would work, if i wanted to keep the threading intact?

Dayspring
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Well, you don't use one as big as the screw. You use a smaller one. :rolleyes:

Find something called an easy out. Follow the directions.

rikkter
06-19-2003, 12:40 AM
or just try this.
grab a flat head screw driver, and. press firmly and try to unscrew it.

when this happend to me,t his is what i did, it caught the shards from the screw and came out easily.

CMDane
06-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Heyya. This is what I found to be the easiest way to get a sheared screw out. There is a tool called an Easy Out (E-Z Out, or numerous variations). It looks like a long, narrow cone with a cutting edge spiraling the outside. They come in a variety of sizes. Sears and most of your other tool suppliers should have a set for relatively cheap ($20 or so).

First, use a drill bit a little larger than the point of the Easy Out and drill a hole into the screw. Shoot some WD-40 into the hole, then screw the Easy Out into the hole. It will feel odd because you're screwing the Easy Out into the hole like you are unscrewing it, but when the threads "bite", it'll start backing the screw out. Just be careful, you don't want to apply too much downward pressure to the Easy Out and break the sides of the hole in the screw. With a little patience, the screw should back right out.

Another option is to take the vavle to a local machine shop and have them do it for you. That may actually be cheaper than buying the EO set. It's also something that you should do if the EO doesn't work for you.

Hope this helps,
Charles

Frank (the spank)
06-19-2003, 01:18 AM
I've had good luck with the drill method. You get a small bit and put it on your drill, go in referse and as the bit spins it will sometimes spin the broken screw out as well. Get it far enough until you can grip it with your finger nails and un-screw the rest out.

Try the glue as well. Super glue an alan wrench to the broken screw and let it dry, if it's not in there too tight you should be able to just un-screw it.

if that doesn't work.. drop $20 and buy the EZ Out.

Good luck, take your time so you don't mess up your threads.

impostal22
06-19-2003, 10:42 AM
these all sound like great ways...

but one thing i failed to mention was that the broke part is probably only 1mm thick, so it's down beneath the top of the hole. in other words....

----.....----- outside of valve
....|.....|
....|.....| <--threaded part
....|.....|
....|,,,,,| <---broken part of screw
....|,,,,,|
....-----

(the periods are there to preserve the spacing, think of them as empty space, and think of the dashes as the metal walls of the valve, and the commas as the broken part of the screw)

sadly i think there's a PIECE of screw along the side of the threading as well, nearer to the top. it's quite the mess...hehe. the drill method will probably still work, but probably not the EO way, i don't think..

Big'n slo
06-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Get a small reverse drill bit. It spins counter-clockwise, once it bite's it'll usually begin to unscrew the broken screw.

bluefan101
06-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Machine shop is your best bet. They can get all of the loose fragments and the remaining piece out. There is a tool similar to the E-Z out already mentioned, called a tap. You can generally pic them up at Sears or any local hardware stores. They come in small sizes and can get just about anything out. Basically you tap into the remaining screw, like chiselling and the tap helps you remove the screw. I've had to do it before removing a broken bolt from my car, but I wouldn't try to do anything like that on your valve. Have someone who knows machinery get it out for you.

Excalibur
06-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Although the drilling method should work,you want to be very careful. The screw is probably hardened steel, meaning that it will be just as hard as most drill bits. If you want to get it out yourself make sure you spend the money to get a good, carbide-tipped bit so you don't end up breaking the bit and messing up the threads. If you have access to a drill press I would say that is your best bet, that will keep your bit straight. You don't want it to rub on the threads.

Also the tap idea... A tap is used to cut threads in an appropriate sized hole. If you change the thread size/patten the AGD set screw will not thread into the hole. A tap is not used to chisel away solid metal, you shouldn't need a tap unless you mess up the threads.

Unless you really want to do this on your own I would recommend taking the valve to a local machine shop or even a gunsmith and see what they can do. Then the responsibility is theirs.

bluefan101
06-19-2003, 07:40 PM
Forgot about that part of the tap. Thanks for the correction. Take it to a machine shop.

nerobro
06-20-2003, 04:42 PM
take a penicl eraser, and press it up against the hole, in theroy the bit in there shoudl be relitively loose and you'll be able to back it out.

If your'e reallyskilled take a toothpick and dampen the tip with cyA glue and you can use thaat to unscrew the bit that's stuck in the valve.

Anything more than that, drils, screw extractors.. and others should be left up to AGD. they'll happily remove it for you.

SpecialBlend2786
06-20-2003, 04:59 PM
I'd be scared to try that drill idea on my valve. You could probably easily screw up the valve. The super glue idea sounds good though.

nerobro
06-20-2003, 05:57 PM
and on the bright side, acetone will disolve CyA ;-)

impostal22
06-20-2003, 07:12 PM
what's cyA glue? and my damn gun came with the 8hole regulator so there goes mr warranty....otherwise i would happily send it to AGD so they could happily remove the screw lol..

nerobro
06-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Superglue... but in bottles of 1oz or more. dip the end of a 1/16" dowel in it and make sure there's no "drop" on the end of the dowel.