PDA

View Full Version : what oil is "safe"?

AkumA
06-19-2003, 01:39 PM
i've been using the PMI oil for some time now for my cocker and mag. vaseline for my pump markers. and 3 in 1 for my spyder and some small parts from the pumpers.

whats a good one to use? i'd like to used 3-1 since its nice and light. what do you guys use?

Miscue
06-19-2003, 02:33 PM
3-in-1 is corrosive.

KC Troublefree = great stuff. Gold Cup (AutoLube) is fine. Use oil designed for paintball.

Duke Henry
06-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Using my great knowledge base, I use Hoppe's 9. To me, since an Automag actually heats up as you shoot it I find that Hoppe's should work a bit better than Autolube.

However, I never got around to using Hoppe's in my mag, since I am too lazy to go and pick up some more. This darn Autolube stuff is all over my place, so it gets precidence...

:D

Miscue
06-19-2003, 03:07 PM
All Hoppes products, to some degree, use solvents and penetrating chemicals designed for the firearm industry.

It provides the wrong kind of lubrication for paintball markers... stick with lubes made specifically for paintball that do not eat at your orings... and don't add stuff you don't need for paintball markers.

You're lubing o-rings... moreso than moving parts. Use oils made for this.

Evil Bob
06-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Hoppe's has some lubricants that are strictly mineral based and solvent free, I used them for many years. They even sell paintball cleaning kits (http://www.gunaccessories.com/Hoppes/Paintball.asp) these days.

I used to use Hoppe's until I switched to KC Troublefree when it came out a few years ago, good stuff.

-Evil Bob

Miscue
06-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Hurmm...

athomas
06-20-2003, 11:31 AM
I just use a good quality non corrosive mineral based air tool oil. Most of the o-rings in my standard AIR valve haven't been replaced since 1993. And they do see a lot of use.

xen_100
06-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Miscue
3-in-1 is corrosive.

that is not entirely true. if you get a good synthetic 3-in-1 sewing machine oil, there is nothing in there that will harm o-rings.

I dont really undertand why people have to find all these exotic oils to use though.......I have used plain old PMI oil for everything paintball for years. never a problems.......they make "paintball oil" for a reason. why not just use what was designed to go into your gun? it is $3-7....peanuts compared to the investment of a marker.(BTW, I have had the same bottle of oil for about 2 years. its not like you go through a bottle a week.)

ugabiged88
06-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I use autolube

mag hugger
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
YA i really like the pmi, well atliest it works for me. i really dont find that it matters what kind of gun oil u use ita pritty much all the same isnt it?

AkumA
06-20-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by xen_100

BTW, I have had the same bottle of oil for about 2 years. its not like you go through a bottle a week

well im running low on my PMI oil. i also have 5 markers laying around. but yeah, thats true, this bottle has lasted me about 2 year too, the one oz bottle.

Riddler236
06-21-2003, 08:17 PM
I've always had good results using synthetic air tool oil like the stuff that PPS ships with their guns. AKA oil seems to be very similar and also works very well.

logamus
06-21-2003, 11:28 PM
kc troublefree is the one for me. that stuff is pure greatness.

custar
06-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Synth air tool oil. It's about $4.00 for a lifetime supply at your local hardware store.

custar