PDA

View Full Version : Vegeta fries his new laptop

Vegeta
06-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Yea.... it's gone.

And OK- it's not a nesssecarily 'new' laptop, but it was new to me. It was a 486 Intel DX4 100mhz laptop with a 10.4 inch hitachi screen, 800MB HD, 4X slim drive, 16MB ram, and withndows 98. It worked almost flawlessly until i decided to mess with it.

I took it apart like a hundred times and today i wanted to take the processor off the chipset just to see the pin structure and core underneath. But this old thing didn't have a lock bar on the side of hte chipset like new processor, so i pryed it out with a pocketknife. I tried to get all sides even but i guess i applied too much force on one side and it popped out first, bending a crapload of pins. so i was like oh crap oh crap, so i used a knife and slowly bent the pins back in place. but not quite in place.

While tryign to re-seat hte processor (which did not come out easy and did not want to go in easy) I pressed too hard on it to get it down in, and must have bent over a pin underneath. I knew in my heart that it had taken way too much pressure to get it in. But there was nothing I could do so I powered it up and hoped for hte best. I got past any POST beeps and all the way to the Windows 98 boot screen, you know.. with the clouds and all.... and hten it beeped once... and then again, and hten let out a whole string of beeps all the same tone... it never stop[ped so i shut it off...

she's pretty much dead now I guess. I may try taking it apart and gettin the chip off and seeing what went wrong but im not realy up for it now.

Something else I can add to the long list of electronics equipment that worked fine till I decided to take it apart.

If anyone has an old 486 style socket Intel DX 100 mhz 3 volt proccessor laying around, let me know.

LittleKrems
06-19-2003, 07:01 PM
hahahah your dumb

irbodden
06-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by LittleKrems
hahahah your dumb

It's "you're", not much room to talk

:rolleyes:

CasingBill
06-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Why would you waste your time on an old piece of crap like that. You should have thrown it away about 3 years ago. I have an IBM laptop with a pentium 100 sitting under my couch. Too lazy to throw it out. I'll sell it to you if you want to buy it.:D

Nobody077
06-19-2003, 08:18 PM
I will need to look and see if I can find it But I did have a box with old 486DX chips in it around here some were, If it was a 586 I would send you one right now(I have a few in my work bench). But you gota love those old laptops I have on of the first Laptop made, a old Compaq SLT/286 running at 12mhz, 80mb hd, 2mb ram and 8in mono screen, running WIN 3.1a, this thing ways about 15lbs but its tons of fun for card games:)

Star_Base_CGI
06-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Vegeta
Yea.... it's gone.

And OK- it's not a nesssecarily 'new' laptop, but it was new to me. It was a 486 Intel DX4 100mhz laptop with a 10.4 inch hitachi screen, 800MB HD, 4X slim drive, 16MB ram, and withndows 98. It worked almost flawlessly until i decided to mess with it.

I took it apart like a hundred times and today i wanted to take the processor off the chipset just to see the pin structure and core underneath. But this old thing didn't have a lock bar on the side of hte chipset like new processor, so i pryed it out with a pocketknife. I tried to get all sides even but i guess i applied too much force on one side and it popped out first, bending a crapload of pins. so i was like oh crap oh crap, so i used a knife and slowly bent the pins back in place. but not quite in place.

While tryign to re-seat hte processor (which did not come out easy and did not want to go in easy) I pressed too hard on it to get it down in, and must have bent over a pin underneath. I knew in my heart that it had taken way too much pressure to get it in. But there was nothing I could do so I powered it up and hoped for hte best. I got past any POST beeps and all the way to the Windows 98 boot screen, you know.. with the clouds and all.... and hten it beeped once... and then again, and hten let out a whole string of beeps all the same tone... it never stop[ped so i shut it off...

she's pretty much dead now I guess. I may try taking it apart and gettin the chip off and seeing what went wrong but im not realy up for it now.

Something else I can add to the long list of electronics equipment that worked fine till I decided to take it apart.

If anyone has an old 486 style socket Intel DX 100 mhz 3 volt proccessor laying around, let me know.

Replace it with a DX2 or DX 4

cheetah256
06-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by CasingBill
Why would you waste your time on an old piece of crap like that. You should have thrown it away about 3 years ago. I have an IBM laptop with a pentium 100 sitting under my couch. Too lazy to throw it out. I'll sell it to you if you want to buy it.:D

old laptops are great. me and my friend use a pair of compaq pentium 2 150 mHz's for wardriving. they work great.

MantisMag
06-20-2003, 11:59 AM
ouch. yeah those old processors usually need tools to remove. basically tongs shaped to fit the processor.

irbodden
06-20-2003, 12:04 PM
I had a couple 75 mhz computers a few monthes ago, I surfed the net from my bed, tub, etc.

I want another 333+mhz lappy to put on my wireless network so i can surf from my pool or my balcony :cool:

Vegeta
06-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Well I got it working again, amazingly.

If this was a modern chip it would have been gone a long tiem ago... I have abused it so much.

So i wedged it out of the damn socket again and it looked fine. I looked over the pins and htey looked ot be fine. Then I looked closer and saw that one in the top right inside corner was bent flat. Ouch.

It took me a half hour to straighten everything out and even then I could not get it to fit in the socket. the only way to get it in was to apply a ton of force, and even then it would go in crooked and all.

So I said F it and slammed it in there. I was for sure that I had bent the pin in the inside corner (near the core) again becasue that is where I had to put the most pressure on it.

But I turned it on anyways. And it worked! I'm guessing that even though the pin bent over it still came in contact with the correct metal hole on the socket.

Proves those old chips are pretty damn tough.

I did do some searching on ebay and found lots of old chips- some selling in a lot of 8 or 10 even -

ow I'm wondering if it would be possilbe so somehow use soem sort of distributed computing software to network several old pentium586's together to perform so menial task.

Or mayeb a motehrboard that has a quad socket chipset. how cool would it be to have a dual 486?