PDA

View Full Version : My gun is loud

michael
07-30-2001, 01:39 AM
my auto mag sf is loud. how do i make it quit. its an older gun, real old. but it is pretty loud and i want it to be quiet. i cant afford a new vavle assembly. if i got a new bolt would it help...every thing on my gun is original.

braaatz
07-30-2001, 02:05 AM
If your barrel isnt ported(little holes @ tip) your gun will be louder.Most if not all aftermarket barrels have porting, this will make your gun quieter. Longer barrels tend to be quieter also.

Snap_Dogg
07-30-2001, 02:59 AM
new bolt make it quiter... i think

blembiggity
07-30-2001, 04:06 AM
how about a silencer or do they even make them anymore?

------------------
u cant see my z bodied mag.if u can u are entirely too close.

XspyX
07-30-2001, 08:03 AM
18" Big Daddy

Silent death...ooo

MagMan5446
07-30-2001, 09:36 AM
18" Big Daddy? Nah, a 22" Stone Cold is about the quietest barrel ever made.

------------------
"I was afraid, okay, I was afraid. I knew that it was Soze. How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?"

-Verbal Kint

blitz134
07-30-2001, 01:42 PM
i dont know if these guys are messing with you or not...but dont get a super long barrel...mags arn't the quietest guns i have heard...but if you get a nice barrel it should help...i know dye boomsticks are quiet...i dont care that much about how loud my gun is so im not sure...but a bolt definately wont help

blitz134

michael
07-30-2001, 02:04 PM
ive got a tear drop and it is quit but the noise is coming from the insides of the gun it sounds like a regular mag but louder. Alot louder

FeelTheRT
07-30-2001, 02:09 PM
hrmm that's odd, because the last time i checked (two days ago) Mags are still one of the most quietest guns. My Mag with a 12" DYE alum with covered portings is still quieter than my team mate's Cocker with a 14" AA barrel.

E=Mag MAN
07-30-2001, 06:07 PM
i dont know how to help but my emag i think is really quiet with the stock barrel and i took the muzel brake off so maybe the new bolt will help because the emag has the new bolt

------------------
E-MAG with warp and a flatline.

WORKS GREAT

bluefrog
07-30-2001, 06:35 PM
WRONG! barrels and bolts help, but they don't help much....
if your gun shoots too loud then your pressure is too high too much gas is going into the gun... this means something is wrong with the regulater (if ya have one) or the valve is broken... try and see if you could get some tech from AGD 2 fix it http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif

randomboy
07-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Well, apparently his problem isnt barrel related, its more of an internal problem, and you said its an older gun. Apparently the older guns tend to be louder, if you send it in to AGD, they will upgrade it with new parts I think?? Someone can verify this I'm sure.

michael
07-30-2001, 07:17 PM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bluefrog:
WRONG! barrels and bolts help, but they don't help much....
if your gun shoots too loud then your pressure is too high too much gas is going into the gun... this means something is wrong with the regulater (if ya have one) or the valve is broken... try and see if you could get some tech from AGD 2 fix it http://www.automags.org/ubb/smile.gif</font>

I think you may be on to something here, because i have had problems with air shooting out of the hole where you adjust the velocity. and the valve is pretty old, ill cll up AGD tech and see what they think. Thanks alot every one.

mykroft
07-30-2001, 08:55 PM
bluefrog: If his velocity is fine, you are completely off base. the two things on a mag that make noise are the bolt movement and the airmass. The bolt movement usually makes a ping or cling type noise, this can be quieted by making a bumper for the bolt, and putting it in the body, the barrel material will also affect this. My experience tells me that Aluminum is higher pitched than Steel, for sound conduction of the bolt noise. Changing the bolt itself won't affect anything noise wise, at least until the Superbolt comes out. If the noise is coming from the gun, you probably need a new Blue bumper, it goes between the bolt and the valve body, if this is missing or hardened, your gun will be excessively loud, and may damage the bolt or valve.

A heavily ported barrel will be much quieter than an unported one. Silencers are illegal in the US due to a silly ATF regulation (If you can put it on a real gun, it's illegal). My experience tells me that a heavily ported barrel in stainless or a 2-piece with stainless back will be the quietest barrel on a mag, as the lower pitched ping from the bolt hitting the body doesn't carry as far as the louder pitched ping on an aluminum barrel. This is just a rule of thumb that works on my mag.

As to older guns being louder, that is incorrect, I have an old mag and a new one, they sound the same and are the same volume with the same barrel.

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA, Benchy 1x Chrome, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

tysonmachado
07-30-2001, 09:13 PM
I agree with Mykroft, check you bumper. If it is the barrel ping that is bothering you, you could try attaching a damper on it. The ping sound is amplified due to resonance in the metal of the barrel. You might be able to dampen the resonance by wrapping some tape or fabric around the barrel. Anyone who bowhunts should know what I mean, bowhunters often attach little rubber tassles to their bowstrings to reduce the twanging sound.

slayer
07-31-2001, 06:53 AM
Be loud, sound like the thunder of destruction rolling upon your oponents to wipe them out. I use mostly lapcos and they are rather loud at least compared to my friends 14 boomstick. Although I am getting excellent gas efficiency. Just my thoughts.

michael
08-01-2001, 12:36 AM
im going to try to record my gun once i get my tank back from nitro duck and let yall hear it, because my bumber is new, because i got a new parts kit.

I was thinking, can the bolt hit against the the ridge in the body? you know the thing that keeps the bolt from sliding in to the barrel. if so could i add some type of bumber there?

hitmanng
08-01-2001, 12:41 AM
This is what the master Tom has to say on the subject hope it helps.
http://www.automags.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001257.html
Hitmanng

------------------
Issha zetsumei -- The original "one shot, one kill"

MadTommy
08-01-2001, 12:54 AM
who is Master Tom?????
---------------------------
MadTommy - BadCompany UK

hitmanng
08-01-2001, 01:05 AM
Sorry,
You know Mr. Tom Kayes, AGD, the guy that made that weird little Automag thingy.
Sorry.
Hitmanng

------------------
Issha zetsumei -- The original "one shot, one kill"

michael
08-01-2001, 09:43 AM
<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hitmanng:
Sorry,
You know Mr. Tom Kayes, AGD, the guy that made that weird little Automag thingy.
Sorry.
Hitmanng

</font>

the auto what??? My guns seriel number is like 37000 something ITS OLD

MadTommy
08-02-2001, 12:40 AM
aaaahhhh and there I was thinking u was bigging me up Hitmanng. http://www.automags.org/ubb/wink.gif
--------------------------
MadTommy - BadCompany UK

mykroft
08-02-2001, 09:46 AM
37K serial is reasonable new actually, you'll have all the current mods, except the long nose bolt.

------------------
Mykroft Holmes IV
------------------
My Mags:
CF11023, Classic Feed, 16" CP .689, 14" JnJ Stainless, Ring trigger, WGP Reg, Diamond Labs Ti Reg Adjuster.

VV00614(Valve)/VV00423(reg), Black Teflon HR Powerfeed, 16" SP AA, Benchy 1x Chrome, Benchy Crossfire cradle/on-off, black foregrip, Macroline.
PMI 48/3K Preset HPA

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" R.A.Heinlein - 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress'

M1N1M4G
08-30-2001, 08:50 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha i just read the "22 inch stone cold barrel" thats the funniest thing ive ever seen. try and all american barrel that is the most quiet ive seen, or one of them anyways. o yea, stick with a short barrel, like 10 or 12 inches