PDA

View Full Version : Equation Barrel kit Review with pics.

Ryknow
06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
First off, let me start by saying Evil is the worst company ever about lying to you about getting products to you. It took them 2 months, of which the barrel was "shipped out that morning."

Anyway, onto the EQ kit. I'm going to start by saying this, I jacked the tip off of a mag back, so my kit is one of a kind. The barrel tip that is. this IS NOT a standard tip.

My first impression of the kit was how good the inserts are made. They are teflon coated stainless steel if you get the older style, and teflon coated titanium if youg et new style. I have one old style and the rest are coming. My shop is the only dealer is the South East for them so he stocks all the EQ stuff, he has just been selling them like mad recently. Another thing that amazed me was how much a back, tip, 7 titanium inserts was. It was somewhere around $210.

The inserts also have lips on the endges to give more control over the ball.

Next, The barrel is extremely quiet and accurate. Honestly, I had <B>*POOF*</B> paint thenday I got it and it shot a million times better than my friends freak on an impy. Its very quiet, but has enough porting to give very good gas efficiency.

Overall I give this barrel kit a 10 out of 10.
(Equation also makes one piece barrel kits...)

And now the last part.. PICS!!

Barrel in box
http://www.intimidator-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5686

Back and tip
http://www.intimidator-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5687

Insert (shows lip mainly)
http://www.intimidator-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5688

insert alignment in back
http://www.intimidator-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5689

Barrel assembled
http://www.intimidator-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5690

Barrel on my uber-sexy Lasoya Intimidator
http://www.intimidator-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=5691

<B>*Warning: No Cussing*</B> -Miscue

Ryknow
06-19-2003, 09:42 PM
great.. they all show up as big red X's.. what a day.. what a damn day!
I'll post pics later.. I'm well, lets say I've got some family troubles now and dont feel like it.
~Tyler

Johnny_Reb
06-19-2003, 09:53 PM
First off, let me start by saying Evil is the worst company ever about lying to you about getting products to you. It took them 2 months, of which the barrel was "shipped out that morning."

Im confused, why are you getting on Evil for, they dont make the Equation barrel. Do they distrubite it or something?

Ryknow
06-19-2003, 10:18 PM
no, my first barrel kit choice was an Evil Pipe.

Smokee_2_7
06-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Johnny_Reb,

here was the deal with Evil- - - The ONLY way to get evil's products is through PMI. about 4 months ago, we ('we' being the shop that ryknow bought his barrel from) got all set-up with PMI on a dealer level. We were in the process of 'changing over' to PMI as the main distributor we ordered from. RPS paing (my personal FAVORITE in the world) was to be brought in on a regular basis, as well as a full line of Evil products and of course, tons and tons of the other things that PMI sells. Well, we get everything all set up, make a couple orders from them- - no problems. They were a bit more pricy than some other distributors on specific products, BUT in some cases i felt they were offering a better product (see my previous comment on RPS paint).

So, Ryknow comes in and tells us that he'd like to buy an Evil Pipe. "SURE" we say- - we'll get right on ordering it for you. The call was made to PMI that day, as well as credit card numbers given. We had been told that, due to our proximity to their shipping center, we should very seldom ever have to wait more than 2 days for shipping. We were told the pipe would be there in less than 3 days.

It didnt come.

We called, and the excuse was given that "so-and-so was supposed to process the order the other day, but they left early, so it didnt' get processed or shipped. BUT, we'll do it right now, and it'll be on it's way tomorrow morning"

a week later, we called again.

This time, there was a story about them actually being out of stock on the pipes, and that some more had to be shipped down from another part of the country (chicago is the city that i heard.) As soon as THEY got the pipes from up north, we would have ours on the way. We were promised the end of the following week, at the latst.

THe last time that we spoke with our sales rep, they were having some kind of mix up somewhere- - we didn't even get a good excuse. We mentioned the "out of stock" story, and he was like "oh, yeah- - thats supposed to be here tomorrow (keep in mind this conversation is about 2 weeks after the original "chicago" story) Finally, we were promised (again) that we would have the barrel kit by the end of the week.

It didnt come.

Since then, we have called about 4 times- - averaging once a week. We have not been able to get ahold of our sales rep- - and have left numerous messages for him to get in touch with us.

PMI has not returned any of our phone calls, nor has the Pipe kit ever shown up- - -it's been about 3 an a half months now.

SO. .. . . . It's not looking like we will be doing any more business with PMI- - you just got to have some kind of customer service- - even with the dealers.

Equation has been pretty good, on the other hand. They make a very good product, it's reasonablly priced, and the dang barrles shoot darts. Finally, equation does a good job of taking care of their customers, also.

Anyway,

Ryknow, im glad that you like the equation kit- - -it DOES look really cool on your gun.

Carl

Smokee_2_7
06-20-2003, 12:41 AM
here's your picture with the barrel on gun. I'll let you upload the others to AO later.

SlipknotX556
06-20-2003, 01:08 AM
Get a black egg. :)

Smokee_2_7
06-20-2003, 01:28 AM
actually, he has a black halo, but had to borrow the egg the other day. It seems that the halo was pushing balls past the detents.

Which reminds me, Ryknow- -- we got that NPS order in with the new detents for you. They are different than the ones we tried the other day.

Carl

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 10:53 AM
ACtually I have a Halo TSA.. well its in the mail.. I didnt wanna spend 40 on a bolt for the Halo..sooo

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 10:57 AM
pics pics pics..

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Barrel in box.. crappy pic

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 11:00 AM
insert alignment in back

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 11:01 AM
insert.. shows the lip mainly

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 11:02 AM
here is the barrel assembled..

Johnny_Reb
06-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me Smokee. Halo TSA huh? Let me know how you like it, Ive been looking into the Frontman series of the TSA. Although for the 80 you pay for the TSA you could buy an egg 2......

Sparq
06-20-2003, 11:54 AM
The O-ring on one of my inserts vanished the day I got my Multiswitch kit. Have you had any trouble with that? My inserts also seem to be discoloring pretty badly, though the little piece of paper that came with the kit claims that makes no difference. The metal around the twist lock groove appears to be wearing away pretty quickly...I can only hope that it will stop once the high friction section of aluminum is gone. Milling on the slots of my barrel tip (Annihilator style) appears a bit rough as well, buy beyond that I like the system. By the way, I just got one of their Equation barrel bags to replace the cardboard box...very nice.

I don't have good pictures...my dealer took these for me before he shipped it to me though.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/reids/Paintball/Dcp_1190.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/reids/Paintball/Dcp_1192.jpg

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 12:07 PM
The o-rings are a good thing to have..but I dont think you HAVE to have them. If you call Equation they can send you some, or check with your dealer and see if he has some. I might be able to send you some if you cant get any.

Sparq
06-20-2003, 12:09 PM
I've talked to my dealer and he says the same thing happened with his. I'll just get some next time I make an order. It didn't seem to affect performance, but you have to be careful not to let the insert fall out when you remove the front.

Clockwork_Orange
06-20-2003, 01:14 PM
I'm looking into buying a barrel system, so would you say that the equation is by far better then the freak?

cphilip
06-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Well recently I was purchasing a few barrels systems. I chose both the Scepter and an Edge kit. I have not shot either of them yet but I can say if the edge kit works out the value is pretty darn good. For 100 bucks you get four backs (not inserts), a tip and very nice hard shell case. The Scepter is very nice too. But its pricier. Case is soft shell but nice. Five inserts, back and tip is like 170 for that one. So you can see the Edge kit with no inserts and using milled backs... and at that price sure has the price advantage.

Ryknow
06-20-2003, 01:27 PM
IMO, anything is better than the freak. I had freak and hated it. Yea its cool because it has 8 inserts.. whoopty doo.. when are you going to use a .679 insert? Or even a .695? But the EQ has 7 inserts that are for more durable than the freak and have more consistent shot placement for me. I would HIGHLY reccomend the EQ kit. its is slightly more pricy than the freak if you get a multi-switch kit. But if you go with a bizerk you can get it about the same price.
~Tyler